Poll

Favorite car origins?

Domestic
119 (16.2%)
Import (Asian)
103 (14%)
European
158 (21.5%)
I don't have a car because I play blockland.
354 (48.2%)

Total Members Voted: 730

Author Topic: Car thread  (Read 905608 times)

Yes and no. Most exposed metal is sprayed with anti-rust compound, but probably not all of it. For example, I have one aftermarket endlink for my front swaybar and one OEM one. The aftermarket one is rusted, the OEM one is pristine.

I began wondering. If you overwork your engine, you will blow it. What would happen if you were to underwork your engine? As in, put 5th shift when the car is stopped and floor it.

You'd probably just stall. Either that or you'd forget your clutch -- the engine would be trying REALLY hard to spin it and it just wouldn't be having any of that due to the immense load. Could prob just burn out your clutch.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 10:25:06 PM by $trinick »

I began wondering. If you overwork your engine, you will blow it. What would happen if you were to underwork your engine? As in, put 5th shift when the car is stopped and floor it.
it would lurch forward and die and explode

in forza horizon at least, not sure about the others, if you stick it in the top gear while stopped and then try to go, it'll drive fine, just take forever to speed up
and I do that for fun sometimes because it makes the car sound really cool imo

You'd probably just stall. Either that or you'd forget your clutch -- the engine would be trying REALLY hard to spin it and it just wouldn't be having any of that due to the immense load. Could prob just burn out your clutch.
Yeah, I was loving around with my truck, which is a stick, and i tried starting out in 5th gear, and i could smell the clutch getting real hot.

in forza horizon at least, not sure about the others, if you stick it in the top gear while stopped and then try to go, it'll drive fine, just take forever to speed up
and I do that for fun sometimes because it makes the car sound really cool imo

Pretty sure essentially this. I was talking to my dad about it about a month ago in his stick shift Versa. He decided to show me and since there weren't cars around, he went very slow and shifted to fifth. The car just inched along and slowly gained speed.

I'm guessing that it would be a bad idea in a high output car though. My dad's car has 107hp iirc but I would think that a car with, say, 550hp would just try to put too much power into the available gear which would be bad for the transmission. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

I would think XR is right.

The only manual transmission vehicle I've used in real life was a three cylinder Geo Metro.

If you were in any gear too early it'd just be like "well forget it" and stall immediately

It depends how you did it. If you dropped it into fifth from neutral while flooring it, you'd likely spin the clutch.

Imagine it like this: press your right fist against your left palm. Twist your right fist. When you have little to no tension (load) on your left hand, it spins easily with your right fist. If you tighten up your left hand so that it won't spin (high load / high gear), your right fist will spin independently of your left hand. Granted, in a car the clutch is much grippier than your palm print and knuckles, but it's the same basic concept.

If you accelerated a bit properly then switched to a high gear and floored it, you'd likely be okay because your car is already moving so your clutch would have an easier time moving your car forward even more. You'd just accelerate really slowly.

While we're on the topic of transmissions, has anyone here tried to understand how automatic transmissions work? It's really complicated. I haven't gotten really into the hydrolycics parts yet.

While we're on the topic of transmissions, has anyone here tried to understand how automatic transmissions work? It's really complicated. I haven't gotten really into the hydrolycics parts yet.

Both my friend and I have tried. I for one really haven't grasped it but I havent tried hard either.

Moving on to the rust topic. Living in a state where cars are loving eaten alive by rust because we salt the stuff out of our roads, I'd say many newer cars do rust out. Im not sure about like the rocker panels anymore, since many of them have that kind of scalloped corrosion resistant stuff, but there's still so many places for stuff to accumulate around the wheel wells and cause it to rust. My Intrigue has plastic covering what used to be the pinch welds and somehow salt and all that good stuff started getting in there and there is absolutely nothing left for metal under the plastic. I actually took the plastic off last summer and I couldn't even get it back on after I emptied all of the crap out and noticed it was going up my rear quarter panel. The whole underside of that car is completely forgeted.

That being said, the car is still 13 years old and has 149,000. That's a lot of winters and miles in said winters. So I guess I can't be too upset.

I think a lot of it also has to do with how much upkeep the owner puts into it. If you notice paint chips or places where its starting to turn your paint orange, its obviously a quick fix and easy save. But since nobody around here truly gives a forget Ive seen Caravans and Sebrings start to rust out of control beforr 75,000. We aso had a newer 2013 Silverado in the shop the other day with a quarter sized spot of rust on the bed. I couldn't really make out if it was rotting from the inside out or just from the surface but it wouldn't surprise me either way. I'd have a hard time owning a truck for the reason that older ones have nothing in the wheel wells to stop all the bullstuff from building up in the frame and in the bed supports and along the bottom of the bed and its hard to clean.

Idk. Rambling.

It's actually pretty simple. Instead of a clutch they have a torque converter. Basically a torque converter would be one of those spinning flower lawn decorations with a fan placed right in front of it. Instead of air it uses a liquid, but the engine powers the 'fan' which sprays the liquid at the "spinning flower" which causes it in turn to spin. Since there's no actual contact, the "spinning flower" can stand still via the brakes while the "fan" continues to spin without any damage.

That was actually a pretty stuffty explanation, but hopefully you get the gist.

Well that's the torque converter, yes. That replaces the clutch. But how it actually determines when to shift is the complicated part.

I just tried watching some videos explaining them and holy stuff complex. Like honestly I feel like it's amazing that there even are automatic transmissions just from how complex they really are.