0 (0%)
Norwegian University of Science and Technology
2 (5%)
State University of New York, Albany
1 (2.5%)
Santa Rosa Junior College
2 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: What college do you attend?  (Read 4165 times)

I plan on (most likely) going to a community college for the first two years, then transferring to I don't know where yet. Unless I get a full-ride scholarship to a university I like (a possibility; I scored in the 97th percentile for the PSAT, and got a 30 on the ACT, which I'm looking at improving). If I don't get a full ride scholarship, the former plan will help me get through college without student loans, one of the worst types of debt you can be in. Then, once I'm through college, I won't have any debt, which will put me ahead of where most graduates are when they are looking for their first job out of college. By that time, I'll have bought a fairly inexpensive car, have thousands in savings, and can begin saving for a house. Eventually, with the money I have saved up, I'll be able to get a better car, and pay cash for a house. I hope to owe nothing to anybody.

trying to pay cash for a house is very hard if you want a nice house
I can see where you're coming from, but not everything can be paid for in cash

NYU Poly

I'm going to be in debt until my 50s, assuming I even make it through all four years.

This school makes me feel stupid. Doesn't help that I'm lazy as hell.

lol what
A poll would never work well for this. There are hundreds of different colleges all over the country and world, the chance that any college would get more than two votes on the poll is very slim

I recommend that you guys go to a JC first and kill of your general ed first and then transfer to a university. You be saving money and you don't have have to take the SAT/ACT. Also finish your general ed first so that way you develop and idea of what you want your major to be so that way you don't end up taking a bunch of classes and change your mind later about what career you want.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 09:55:25 AM by Harm94 »

I currently take classes at Bemidji State University

Closest is USC (SoCal) but I want to go to the University of New Mexico or Colorado

trying to pay cash for a house is very hard if you want a nice house
I can see where you're coming from, but not everything can be paid for in cash
Yes it can. It's called living in an apartment for years first, driving a cheap car, and putting a large amount of my income into savings. I don't do things like most people; I don't usually get Starbucks, don't usually eat out, use coupons whenever I can, and always search for the best possible deal. This is simply how my mom had brought me up, and I am quite appreciative of it.

Did you know that if someone (at a fairly young age; say 20) was willing to give up a $4 or $5 daily coffee and instead just make it at home, putting the leftover money into an initial Roth IRA payment, and then use the $1,400 - $1,800 previously spent yearly on coffee to it annually until retirement, they'd have somewhere from $500,000 up to $1,000,000 or more for retirement, depending on the rate of return?

Here's a quote I like to live by:

“If you will live like no one else, later you can live like no one else.” - Dave Ramsey

Yes it can. It's called living in an apartment for years first, driving a cheap car, and putting a large amount of my income into savings. I don't do things like most people; I don't usually get Starbucks, don't usually eat out, use coupons whenever I can, and always search for the best possible deal. This is simply how my mom had brought me up, and I am quite appreciative of it.
that's how every college student (who isn't rich) lives
how much do you think you'll save every year? let's suppose you don't get a full ride to whatever college

that's how every college student (who isn't rich) lives
how much do you think you'll save every year? let's suppose you don't get a full ride to whatever college
Nononono, I'd be doing this when I'm out of college. I plan to attend college close to home; that way I can stay with my parents during college. Sometimes the smart way isn't always the most enjoyable. ;)

Nononono, I'd be doing this when I'm out of college.
if you don't get a full ride, the student loans follow you out of college. in fact, you don't even start paying them off until you graduate

How much money do you think your parents will actually spend to get you through college? unless they are mr. and mrs. moneybags they will probably make you take loans.

you really have a misguided opinion on life.

I'm just hoping I can get a presidential scholarship

if you don't get a full ride, the student loans follow you out of college. in fact, you don't even start paying them off until you graduate
How much money do you think your parents will actually spend to get you through college? unless they are mr. and mrs. moneybags they will probably make you take loans.

you really have a misguided opinion on life.
Lol, you two. First off, I plan on getting some sort of scholarship. Also, room and board takes up a large chunk of college costs. Since I won't be dealing with those, that brings the price down drastically. $6000 or less per year for the community college, $9000 or less for the last two years in a non-community college.

How do I get the money? Partially scholarships, which shouldn't be too hard to get, and also working my butt off all summer, lightening the load a bit during the school year. Plus, my parents can help me slightly. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get at least $9000 a year between those three options. Don't tell me it's not possible unless you have evidence to back it up. And I do have evidence to back me up. Read "Debt Free U" by Zac Bisonnette if you'd like to read up on it. This is pretty much what he did, and it worked for him. I even have a friend who's doing something quite similar; he worked 50 hours a week during the summer. Also, take Dave Ramsey's excellent personal finance course. Don't look at the way the world does things and try to pull "evidence" from it, especially when it comes to college. The way most people do it just isn't a way that gets you the most bang for your buck; that, I should think, would be pretty obvious in our society.

There's a large gap between diligence (sacrificing enjoyment for your future), and those who do college "normally"; taking out student loans and paying them of 20 or 30 years later. Not trying to be mean or anything, but please do your research and reading up (preferably not what the colleges themselves tell you), and then try to come back to me with a valid argument.

turku university of applied sciences, also i get paid to go to school