☐⇄☐ Item Storage (Alpha Released!)

Poll

What feature are you looking forward to the most in v5?

Ecumbrance System
4 (3.3%)
Item Stacking System
8 (6.7%)
Events (?)
11 (9.2%)
Item Durability / Degradation Over Time
3 (2.5%)
Crafting & Item Forming
25 (20.8%)
Smelting with the Furnace & Crucible
0 (0%)
Vehicle Storage
13 (10.8%)
Display Bricks
2 (1.7%)
Storage Locking & Lock-Picking
7 (5.8%)
Backpacks & Containers
16 (13.3%)
Hybrid Item / Brick Planting
0 (0%)
Shops & Integrated Loot System (?)
5 (4.2%)
Item Modding & Repair (with the Anvil)
3 (2.5%)
Hunger, Thirst & Armor Support
23 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 115

Author Topic: ☐⇄☐ Item Storage (Alpha Released!)  (Read 121227 times)

Bump to keep from being locked. Also, development for the v5 update of Item Storage is underway!

I'm planning on renaming the add-on, and including features directly tailored to various RPG activities. The scripts and interfaces will also be greatly simplified, and should be easier to use in general.

Planned changes thus far for version 5:
  • Ability to plant specific storage bricks, such as chests, cabinets and cupboards.
  • Instant creation of storage inventories (items are stored relative to a brick type, rotation and position, rather than to it's name)
  • Storing of backpack items relative to the backpack item itself (already working to some extent)
  • Improved saving and inventory reference system (rather than constantly reading and writing data using fileObjects)
  • Various mobile storage options, in addition to the backpack (possibly add multiple backpacks?)
  • Ability to carry mobile storage containers as an item, or to plant them as a brick (???)
  • Utility items that serve a specific purpose (???)
  • GUIs directly related to crafting, smelting, etc.
  • Ability to easily create custom crafting recipes (???)
  • Option to drop player items (including backpack items?) on death
  • and more!

oH snap, looking forward to this

I don't know if anybody's mentioned this previously, but when I use this and a hat mod the hat is removed upon closing the options or avatar menu.

dunno if you did end up looking into this issue, but I didn't see it on the planned changes list or changelog.  if you didn't, here's a reminder I suppose. 

Can't wait for v5; looks like it'll be wonderful.

Perhaps an option to select from a list of things to randomly put in storage containers, and once it's empty after X time adds more random items?

oH snap, looking forward to this
Yay!
Glad to see people are looking forward to this. =) These are the types of projects I really enjoy developing, and it should prove very useful as well, especially for RPG servers.

dunno if you did end up looking into this issue, but I didn't see it on the planned changes list or changelog.  if you didn't, here's a reminder I suppose. 

Can't wait for v5; looks like it'll be wonderful.
I'm redoing all the scripts from the ground up, so I'll make sure to fix that issue, along with any others from the previous versions.

Perhaps an option to select from a list of things to randomly put in storage containers, and once it's empty after X time adds more random items?
A loot-type system would be a great idea - I could probably set it up to allow certain containers to randomize after a certain amount of time, similar to the loot system in the Elder Scrolls series.

Btw, if anyone else has any ideas for version 5 let me know! There are some other features I'm planning to add as well, but I'll reveal them later on.

Crafting... oh my god yes.

Finally. I thought you were gonna stop at V4. I also like the crafting idea.

Also, do you plan on making this use Support_Updater?

Finally. I thought you were gonna stop at V4. I also like the crafting idea.

Also, do you plan on making this use Support_Updater?
I was planning on updating Item Storage much sooner, but PTG took a lot longer than I originally thought lol. As of right now I am planning on using Support_Updater, but it all depends on how the community feels about it. I know a lot of people don't like using add-ons with the updater, but otherwise it can take awhile for server hosts to update to the most recent version.

The core functions in v5 that handle swapping, combining, auto-stacking and transferring stacks of items are close to being done!

Certain inventories will have cells that are reserved for specific items. For instance, if you want to lock a chest or a backpack, all you have to do is move one of the lock items into that cell. You can then re-access the inventory by using a key or number combination, based on the type of lock used; lock-picking might also be added later.

Player movement is automatically disabled when accessing a brick's inventory (but not when only accessing your backpack), so players can no longer walk endlessly while still being able to make changes to the container. Encumbrance, if enabled, will also gradually slow down players if over the start weight limit you set, and will completely disable movement if over the set max limit.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 10:40:56 PM by [GSF]Ghost »

Well i think you should add a weight system that should slow you down every time you add weight.

Do you still have to download a client for this mod?

Well i think you should add a weight system that should slow you down every time you add weight.
The great thing about the new encumbrance system is that it'll be a lot more versatile, and you can adjust it to what you need. The server host will be able to customize both the starting encumbrance and maximum weight values players can carry.

For instance, if you set the start weight to "0" and the max weight to like "200", then players will gradually slow down as they take on more weight, and won't be over-encumbered / unable to move until they exceed 200 pounds. If you set the start weight to "200" and the max to "300", then players won't start slowing down until they exceed 200, and won't be able to move after 300. If you set both to 300, then players won't gradually slow down as they take on more weight, but will be over-encumbered after 300 pounds.

Do you still have to download a client for this mod?
Yes, it'll still require players to have the download the client. I did look into making it completely server-sided, which is possible, but it wouldn't be as easy to use and would put a lot more stress on the server. Making it both client and server sided just seems like the best option.

How do I make it so that people have their own storage that other people cannot use (like for a bank)?
EDIT: I also want to know how to activate encumbrance.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 05:52:20 PM by failbros2 »