Poll

What feature are you looking forward to the most in v5?

Ecumbrance System
4 (3.3%)
Item Stacking System
8 (6.7%)
Events (?)
11 (9.2%)
Item Durability / Degradation Over Time
3 (2.5%)
Crafting & Item Forming
25 (20.8%)
Smelting with the Furnace & Crucible
0 (0%)
Vehicle Storage
13 (10.8%)
Display Bricks
2 (1.7%)
Storage Locking & Lock-Picking
7 (5.8%)
Backpacks & Containers
16 (13.3%)
Hybrid Item / Brick Planting
0 (0%)
Shops & Integrated Loot System (?)
5 (4.2%)
Item Modding & Repair (with the Anvil)
3 (2.5%)
Hunger, Thirst & Armor Support
23 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 115

Author Topic: ☐⇄☐ Item Storage (Alpha Released!)  (Read 121219 times)

I don't see how it's not compatible...? whats wrong with offline mode?

I got my internet removed for some day's, i still had the addon but it did not work..

Is there any new progress? I'm really excited for the 5th version of this add-on.

Is there any new progress? I'm really excited for the 5th version of this add-on.
I haven't made a lot of progress since the last update; there's been a lot going on IRL which is why I haven't been too active lately. I'm hoping to resume work on Item Storage and PTG today however, so I may post another progress update in the near future. :)

I got my internet removed for some day's, i still had the addon but it did not work..
It should still work in offline mode. However, I've been working on the next update, which should fix a lot of the issues from v4 once released.

add multiple sizes to the backpack like the storage brick in next update

add multiple sizes to the backpack like the storage brick in next update
Already being planned. :) Each backpack will have it's own GUI and size, and there will also be items like clay jars and vessels which will allow for more storage options; they can also be carried in backpacks.

Update: I'm currently working on the crafting system for v5. I'll start on drafting (creating custom crafting recipes) and smelting next, and then finalize the functionality for backpacks and other mobile containers.

Update: I'm currently working on the crafting system for v5. I'll start on drafting (creating custom crafting recipes) and smelting next, and then finalize the functionality for backpacks and other mobile containers.
We will be able to create our own recipes right?
And the server will save them?

We will be able to create our own recipes right?
And the server will save them?
Yesir, creating custom recipes will work similar to crafting, but you would use a drafting table instead of the crafting table.

Sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions, but players can't make recipes, only use the ones available for crafting right?
Only admins can create them?

I'm asking a lot because this is going to be a big factor in my new gamemode :)

Sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions, but players can't make recipes, only use the ones available for crafting right?
Only admins can create them?

I'm asking a lot because this is going to be a big factor in my new gamemode :)
That's alright :P I might add a toggle option for that later, but for now I'm planning for it to be admin or superadmin only. So yes, players would only be able to use the default and custom recipes you create.

Update: Made some progress with the crafting system! There are various ways to craft items in v5: you can use the item crafting table to create custom weapons and tools, or the general crafting table for miscellaneous stuff.

Crafting works basically as you would expect, except when your layout of items matching an existing recipe, a ghost item of what would be crafted will appear in the menu's output slot. You can then either click the "Craft" button to use up the items for the recipe and create the resultant item, or rearrange your items to attempt to create something else.

I'm also experimenting with a unique crafting method for creating objects related to armor and apparel. Instead of placing items on a grid, you would place a single item of leather, sheet metal, etc. in the input slot, then "draw" the item you wish to create by selecting the various cells.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 10:48:52 PM by [GSF]Ghost »

This is going to be great.

Made more progress! Here's an overview of everything already being implemented or that I hope to include in v5:

New Storage Options

Multiple Backpacks
New backpack models will be included with the update - at least 8 models are planned, each with a unique inventory size and appearance.

Small Storage Containers
Small, mobile containers will also be included, which will work similar to the backpack. The items planned to be included are a clay jar, clay vessel, a sack and a small chest. Only one of each type of item can be carried at a time, but you can carry as many as you want in a backpack. Backpacks and containers added to your player inventory will automatically open a small inventory window showing all the items within it.

Maintaining of Backpack and Container Inventories
Backpacks and small containers will maintain their inventories, even when dropped and picked up by other players, or when stored in any of the various inventories.

Hybrid Items
Backpacks and small containers have the option of being planted as a brick, which adds new, unique storage options. Items planted as bricks can be viewed by all players (not just yourself), and it also allows you to swap items between other backpacks or containers you may be carrying.

Vehicle Storage
As requested, you'll be able to store items in vehicles; vehicle inventory sizes will probably be based on the size of the vehicle itself. All brick and vehicle inventories can also be viewed by multiple players.

Display Cases
Items stored in display case bricks will spawn physical items within the brick itself, making it appear like the item is actually on display. Vertical and horizontal cases are planned; the items will also be respawned when the display bricks are loaded from file.

Improved Saving, Item Stacking, Dropping, Auto-Stacking, Transfer and Swapping System
All inventories will temporarily store items in scriptobjects, and gradually save their inventories to file every few minutes (or when the server shuts down). The scripts for item stacking, auto-stacking, specific amount tranfering and stack swapping have been greatly improved and simplified. Items can also be dropped via the backpack inventory by simply selecting a stack of items and then selecting the "drop cell" within a backpack's GUI (marked with a downward arrow). Items can also now be stacked in your player inventory, but items stacked in your player tools inventory can't be selected or used if the stack amount is greater than one).

Toggleable Auto-Sorting
Player's can toggle an option known as Auto-Sorting, which when enabled, will automatically pickup and stack items in your player inventory (or in a backpack or container in your player inventory). Usually, if you already have an item in your player inventory (or if you don't have a free tool slot available), that item can't be picked up. This option however is meant for gathering resources.

Crafting and Forming
Objects can be crafted using either Item Crafting, General Crafting or Grid Forming.

Grid Forming is similar to crafting, but you click certain cells in a grid to remove or keep sections of a material to form something new - such as leather greaves, a clay jug, a golden helmet or even creating wooden sticks for a recipe.

Encumbrance
The encumbrance system from v4 will return in v5, but has been completely rewritten. The add-on can now be set up to either gradually slow players down as they take on weight or pass a certain weight limit, and / or to stop them completely if they pass another weight limit. Players also won't be able to move when accessing a brick's inventory (so they can't make changes to the brick's items from miles away like last time).

Durability and Item Degradation
A new feature included in v5 is Item Durability and Degradation. If enabled, items will loose "health" in 3 different ways: either gradually over time when stored in an inventory, when the item is used as a tool from your player inventory, or when the item is used as a tool for crafting, forming, modidng, etc., within certain GUIs. Perishable items (such as food) can be set up to degrade faster than other items. However, any items stored in clay jars, clay vessels, or within the cupboard brick will degrade 8 times slower over time.

Locks, Keys and Lock-picking
Certain brick, vehicle, backpack and container inventories can be locked, preventing other players from being able to open and make changes to that inventory. 4 Different locks are planned, adding different levels of security to an inventory (easy, medium, hard and very hard). An inventory can be locked and unlocked by simply moving / removing a lock from an inventory's lock slot (marked with a lock icon). Inventories can be unlocked simply by having the corresponding key item in your player or backpack inventory, or in a container within your player inventory.

If an inventory is locked, and if you have a lockpick item in your player, backpack or in a container inventory, you can attempt to pick that lock (only one lock can be picked at a time). Each lockpick in your inventory gives you one opportunity to guess the combination of that lock - you can attempt to guess the numerical combination by moving the vertical sliders (representing tumblers) to any value between 0 and 9. If you guess incorrectly, your lockpick will "break", and one item will be removed from your stack of lockpicks. You will also be notified how many characters / digits you guess correctly, not not which specific digits were correct. Lockpicking then becomes a type of puzzle or minigame; different locks will have a different amount of tumblers / characters to guess.

By default, locks don't have any combination applied to them. You can however add your own, unique combination to locks and keys by using the Locksmith Table. You can also add the same combination to various keys and locks, just encase you need spares.

Furnace and Crucible
Items can altered using either a furnace or crucible brick. Stacks of items within a furnace are heated all at once, and are replaced by a stack of another item once complete (based on the item being heated); items left in too long however will disintegrate. Stacks of metallic items within a crucible are gradually melted down into liquid metal, which can be poured into various molds to create certain items required for crafting recipes. Certain types of liquid metal can also be combined with other metals to create alloys, based on balancing ratios between the different types.

A furnace or crucible will begin heating up once a stack of fuel items has been inserted into the inventories fuel slot. As the fuel is used, a yellow progress bar will appear, showing how much "fuel" is left per one item in that stack. As they yellow progress bar slowly counts down and eventually reaches "0", one item will be removed from that stack - if no items are left, then the brick will begin cooling down. As fuel is present, items will display a green progress bar over them, showing the conversion progress of each stack or item. If a furnace or crucible eventually cools down, the green progress bar for item item will then gradually decline, until it also reaches "0" - if a crucible completely cools down, the molten liquid will solidify, and won't be able to be poured into a mold until reheated.

Furnace and crucible inventories will use scheduled recursion (a technique used with PTG to put minimal stress on the server), so having 100 furnaces will cause only one to update at a time per tick, rather than having all 100 update at once per tick.

Anvil
The anvil can be used to repair or to add modifiers to items, based on the hammer item in the anvil's tool slot.

Ideas for other features:

Loot System
Random items can be easily added to inventories via events, and text files with random items to select from (the name of the file would be referenced through the event).

Currency and Mercantile
Stacks of various coins could be used as currency. Bots could also be included as store owners, with items for sell set up similar to the loot system mentioned above: permanent and random items can appear in the stores inventory (along with their prices), based on items specific in a text file.

Easel and Desk Bricks
Can be used to create drawings and books, viewable by any players with the created item. A recipe, tutorial and item-information book might also be added.

Skills
Such as for lock-picking, blacksmithing, etc.

Wearable Armor
Which can be added to a player, similar to how items are added to a player's tool inventory via the inventory GUI.

Hunger and Thirst System

Infinite Mining
For ore (which can be melted down into molds) and gems (used to add modifiers to items).
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 06:28:49 PM by [GSF]Ghost »

-whoa-
Omg yes, the hype is real
In this update, will the option of requiring a backpack item still be included? if so, what size of backpack will you have?
also, this isn't Item Storage anymore. This should be called something like Items+
If there is alpha/beta pls gib
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 04:43:06 PM by Ryan Crowlife »

How about a special and separate weapon pack for the crafting thing?

How about a special and separate weapon pack for the crafting thing?
I plan on making some weapons on my server only obtainable by crafting other weapons together.

This is an exciting dev update. I cannot wait.