Author Topic: geoIP location  (Read 438 times)

I want to write a script that will get a user's IP upon joining and locate their rough coordinates. I want to make a heatmap build of sorts. Not sure if it's going to be very pointed or per country. Anyway I think it'd be an interesting project. But how would I go about using their IP to locate them? There are services like this online, but what would be the most efficient way to do it?

Well, if you understand the internet, when you go to one of those websites, put in a IP, and hit sumbit, it sends a HTTP request to the server for the page that will show the persons location with the IP you gave as a parameters. The server sends back the page with the correct info using that IP and viola, you see where the person is located.

In torquescript, you would construct an HTTP object with and send a request to their server for the same page with the IP as a parameter, the EXACT SAME as your browser when you hit submit, and then pick out the coordinates from the HTML page they send back to you.

You go about building bricks and what not from there in your code

Well, if you understand the internet, when you go to one of those websites, put in a IP, and hit sumbit, it sends a HTTP request to the server for the page that will show the persons location with the IP you gave as a parameters. The server sends back the page with the correct info using that IP and viola, you see where the person is located.

In torquescript, you would construct an HTTP object with and send a request to their server for the same page with the IP as a parameter, the EXACT SAME as your browser when you hit submit, and then pick out the coordinates from the HTML page they send back to you.

You go about building bricks and what not from there in your code
Yeah I get the internet. I don't know the TS specifics of HTTP objects though. I'll figure it out.

Yeah I get the internet. I don't know the TS specifics of HTTP objects though. I'll figure it out.
There should be some references in the coding help section that break it down. There's a sticky with tons of resources found here. (Credits to Elm)
http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=214415.0