Poll

Do you think Personal Add-ons are OKAY?

Yes, Personal add-ons increase server appeal
81 (59.1%)
No, everything should be open-source
42 (30.7%)
(bonus) Private add-ons are also okay to me.
14 (10.2%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Author Topic: General Opinions on Personal add-ons?  (Read 9857 times)

Open source is a great thing, and it is an extremely helpful force in forwarding new innovation. But it's not fair to force everyone on open source. I may create lots of private content for me and my servers, but I also like to give back by releasing content every now and again (usually unrelated to my servers). As has been argued before, I think that private content actually helps the server community, because it makes servers that use private content more unique. If everyone had all the content, then everyone would host exactly what was most popular at that time. That causes a cycle of ideas being created and consumed almost instantly, as each idea looses it's novelty so quickly (because everyone would host the same thing, whatever is the newest).

Only thing that should be private are things that have only one or no specific use.

For example, those bricks in the Titanic. They were only made for specific parts of the titanic and there aren't really many other uses.

Elm's trees, though, are very useful. They can fit in with many builds, look nice, and are trees. People could really use them and make awesome things, but because elm wants them private for some dumb reason, not many people know about it and will continue making builds that look pretty bad because of the default lego tree. People usually aren't trying to build lego-like, they are trying to build realistically. They want realistic trees to fit in, as well as other bricks that may be private that I might not know about.

Only thing that should be private are things that have only one or no specific use.

For example, those bricks in the Titanic. They were only made for specific parts of the titanic and there aren't really many other uses.

Elm's trees, though, are very useful. They can fit in with many builds, look nice, and are trees. People could really use them and make awesome things, but because elm wants them private for some dumb reason, not many people know about it and will continue making builds that look pretty bad because of the default lego tree. People usually aren't trying to build lego-like, they are trying to build realistically. They want realistic trees to fit in, as well as other bricks that may be private that I might not know about.
I saw what you posted in the other topic and I disagree very much with what you're doing.
Releasing thing to the community that other people made without their permission is wrong. It's like going up to someone and making them share their toy even if they bought it or spent the time making it. They have the right to do what they want with it, not you. For some reason what you're saying pisses me off to no end.

I (personally) make mods to make people happy. I'll decide when I want to release them, not someone else.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 03:01:33 PM by DYLANzzz »

Open source is a great thing, and it is an extremely helpful force in forwarding new innovation. But it's not fair to force everyone on open source. I may create lots of private content for me and my servers, but I also like to give back by releasing content every now and again (usually unrelated to my servers). As has been argued before, I think that private content actually helps the server community, because it makes servers that use private content more unique. If everyone had all the content, then everyone would host exactly what was most popular at that time. That causes a cycle of ideas being created and consumed almost instantly, as each idea looses it's novelty so quickly (because everyone would host the same thing, whatever is the newest).
Very well said.

I release the majority of my add-ons. And the private ones are usually because It was my attempt to make my server more unique.

I will define the difference between personal and private add-ons now:

1. Personal Add-Ons: Made specifically for you and your server to give your server a unique draw for players.

2. Private Add-Ons: Made and then only given to friends of the person who made the add-on or clan members.

I think it's fine to have unreleased add-ons to increase the appeal of your server but when you just make an add-on and then hand it around to all your little buddies and tell everyone else to get lost I think you're doing a disservice to them and the community and there's really no justification for it.

1. Personal Add-Ons: Made specifically for you and your server to give your server a unique draw for players.

2. Private Add-Ons: Made and then only given to friends of the person who made the add-on or clan members.

I think it's fine to have unreleased add-ons to increase the appeal of your server but when you just make an add-on and then hand it around to all your little buddies and tell everyone else to get lost I think you're doing a disservice to them and the community and there's really no justification for it.
This is exactly what I was just about to say. Thanks for posting this, a great description.

I saw what you posted in the other topic and I disagree very much with what you're doing.
Releasing thing to the community that other people made without their permission is wrong. It's like going up to someone and making them share their toy even if they bought it or spent the time making it. They have the right to do what they want with it, not you. For some reason what you're saying pisses me off to no end.

I make mods to make people happy. I'll decide when I want to release them, not someone else.
I just saw this.
http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=244806

Honestly shameful.

Thank you for the clarification.

And i'm glad to hear you support personal add-ons.
Adding your post to the OP.

I changed the poll, and reset the votes.

I'm not sure if I support private add-ons. But I fully support personal add-ons.
I honestly didn't know the difference.

The only thing I care about is when add-ons are publically released, but then, maybe the only place it was hosted on is taken offline, then when little brats who have it go around HAHAHA I HAVE THIS ADD-ON YOU DON'T IT'S PRIVATE YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

Note the difference between a personal add-on and a private add-on.
Aah whoops!!

Oh I was lumping Private and Personal addons together apparently.

Personal ones im all for.

Not entirely sure how i feel about Private ones.

@about elm's trees

what if he made them to make his server more unique?
Honestly i didnt know he was distributing them to friends and stuff.

The more i know.

yeah btw the reason pandan made this topic was most likely because of that modification discussion topic i made

If it's something like Pecon's Server, or adds some funky new shop system or what not, I'm cool with it. However, if it's a really slick vehicle, it bothers me, because I may want to make like a street race or something with it, but I can't.