Game Design Megathread

Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 442674 times)

what if making those engines is to just benefit me.
Like I said before, making actual games will benefit you more than creating an engine. Through creating an actual game, you learn how to make pleasing game mechanics and a fun, playable experience, as well as an appealing visual experience. This is most of what matters in the end.

hand them in as part of a resume for a programming job(doesnt have to be game dev). i think it would work much more than putting down a game made in unity or something.
If you're not going to be a game dev, you shouldn't be making game engines, period. If you are, employers will be much more impressed by many games made in Unity, moreso than some engine you spent a lot of time working on that you never actually used to make a game.

And believe it or not, a lot of commercial games actually use Unity and other popular engines, and hire people who know how to use said engines. They won't hire you because you know how to use an engine you coded yourself, and even if they're somehow impressed at your non-tangible work, you probably wouldn't be using that engine in the future at all, and you'd need to learn how to use something different entirely.

what about the guys who made unity? as far as i know they arent game devs

engine advancements need to be made, so people can make better games. i dont think we should favour one more than the other now that i think about it. game devs depend on these engine makers making their engine and engine makers depend on game devs using their engine

what about the guys who made unity? as far as i know they arent game devs
They almost certainly have to be, or at least had to have made a game at some point in their lives in order to know how to structure a game engine for others to make games.

engine advancements need to be made, so people can make better games. i dont think we should favour one more than the other now that i think about it. game devs depend on these engine makers making their engine and engine makers depend on game devs using their engine
Then let the people who are making the engines advance their engines. They know what the hell they're doing. They've done hard work and they are experienced in creating a smooth development experience for game developers. It's exactly because we have a bunch of engines already that we do not need any more. These exist so we can make games. Not to ignore them and make more engines.

what if we do need more engines because our current ones arent that great. ive yet to see an engine thats similar to RAGE that is open for everyone to use. i mean unity is good but its not great. same goes for some other popular engines

what if we do need more engines because our current ones arent that great. ive yet to see an engine thats similar to RAGE that is open for everyone to use. i mean unity is good but its not great. same goes for some other popular engines
'Great' is subjective. If you haven't found an engine/framework that works for you, you haven't looked hard enough. If you like an engine/framework, but don't like some of the small quirks that come with it, there are usually ways to 'fix' them. And if there aren't, move on to another engine.

My main point with all of this is that the engine that is being used to create the game is not nearly as important as the game itself. You know how many people regard Game Maker as god awful? Bushido, the creator of this thread, used it to make multiple games, more than some of you, and even myself. Do I care that all of the work on the game wasn't his? No. Do I care that the games he's made are hella fun? forget yes. The world doesn't value mountains of code, the world values entertaining experiences. This is what games are. Video games are not their engines.

If continuing this discussion requires me to repeat myself, I'm reluctant, but I'll do it as many times as I feel necessary.

interesting
entertainment value
perfect. i agree.

Maybe they're making an engine because it's fun and they feel like it. There's nothing wrong with that.

what the world values isn't really important I think. you should do something because it's what you want to do. not because it's what other people want you to do

Maybe they're making an engine because it's fun and they feel like it. There's nothing wrong with that.
what the world values isn't really important I think. you should do something because it's what you want to do. not because it's what other people want you to do

Yes, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with doing it for fun. I sometimes catch myself working on more internal aspects as opposed to functional or visual aspects when I code games, and that's mostly me being a perfectionist, but I still find it enjoyable nonetheless. I guess what I should say is, if you are just creating an engine for funsies, don't expect anything to really come out of it, or for anyone else but you to actually use it.

i can feel da page 100 comin

and i can feel da king comin >:)

You're playing a very dangerous game, PurpleMetro.

And that's the issue I'm trying to address. People shouldn't want to make game engines because there are already plenty.
Under that logic
People shouldn't want to make games because they are already plenty
People shouldn't want to make children because they are already plenty
People shouldn't want to make anything because they are already plenty

I consider pretty much every form of expression to be more diverse and deep than that of a game engine. But unless a new engine legitimately works in a way completely different from other game engines, there's simply no point in its existence. But hey, if you have a great idea for an amazing new innovative game architecture idea, then by all means, go with it. Make the next OOP.

I consider pretty much every form of expression to be more diverse and deep than that of a game engine. But unless a new engine legitimately works in a way completely different from other game engines, there's simply no point in its existence. But hey, if you have a great idea for an amazing new innovative game architecture idea, then by all means, go with it. Make the next OOP.
Kingdaro there is no sensible argument that you can make which would lead any reasonable human being to believe that if they are working on a game engine, even if it doesn't innovate anything, that they should stop and work on a game. Game Engine's are great for making for learning about rendering, physics, optimization, etc. And they also come in handy if you ever do actually want to make a game. Not only are they fun projects but they are extremely educational. Every time I've made an engine I have come away a little smarter. While it is nice making games, there is no reason why it is more important to make games over game engines.