Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 447540 times)

Oh, there are workarounds
Those are very costly performance wise, and usually still ugly.

unity free makes ugly 3d games

all games listed above use pro

If you plan on making a game to sell you might as well make everything in Unity Free and buy Unity Pro at the last second and change stuff before you publish it.

all games listed above use pro, rust uses unity 5 which isnt even (officially) available yet

about every fancy looking 3d game made with unity you'll find uses pro

you just can't have fancy 3d graphics without pro.
Just because a game doesn't have a bajillion bloom effects, that doesn't make it bad, you prick. A developer can still deliver an engaging experience with or without an amazing graphical style. Even then, 'good' is subjective; you can just have a bunch of cubes, but if it fits, then all is well.

i stand by my statement. developers make ugly 3d games, not unity.

Just because a game doesn't have a bajillion bloom effects, that doesn't make it bad, you prick. A developer can still deliver an engaging experience with or without an amazing graphical style. Even then, 'good' is subjective; you can just have a bunch of cubes, but if it fits, then all is well.
He never said they were bad, he said they were
ugly
There is a large difference between saying the graphics (ONE system of the game) are bad and saying the entire game (ALL systems) is bad BECAUSE of the graphics.

Nice jumping to conclusions yo, trust me I know how to jump to conclusions B)

But,
you just can't have fancy 3d graphics without pro.
unless you're going to tell me '3d graphics' is a synonym for 'game mechanics'.

But,unless you're going to tell me '3d graphics' is a synonym for 'game mechanics'.
Now you are not making any sense at all.
He is still only talking about the parts of the game that you physically see, saying nothing about the rest of the game such as audio or gameplay.
Where are you getting 'game mechanics' from.

this is starting the slow degeneration into the "blf engine discussion megathread"

He is still only talking about the parts of the game that you physically see, saying nothing about the rest of the game such as audio or gameplay.
But what I and ottosparks are trying to say is that the graphical capabilities of an engine don't dictate the quality of the games that it can put out, and that insulting said graphical capabilities is stupid.

But what I and ottosparks are trying to say is that the graphical capabilities of an engine don't dictate the quality of the games that it can put out, and that insulting said graphical capabilities is stupid.
Thank you for clarifying.
I still don't interpret his comment at saying the games made without pro are bad, just that they don't look as good as the games made with pro.

pro is definitely a superior version of unity but it's still all down to the developer

you don't necessarily need the advantages of pro graphics to make your game look good, but you may need them to more easily carry out your vision or w/e

I like unreal engine 4 more than free unity, but I've never used the paid version. it's way too expensive

i stand by my statement. developers make ugly 3d games, not unity.
Show one fancy 3d game using unity free then

Note, minimalist stylized things like monument valley that don't require postfx don't count (though they used pro too)

Note, minimalist stylized things like monument valley that don't require postfx don't count (though they used pro too)
But now that's getting into a somewhat subjective area, and if I had to guess you have pretty high standards. So what you consider good looking might not fall under what the rest of us think, and then there was no point in bringing it up in the first place. Just accept that the majority of us here agree on the opinion that there are good looking games made with Unity free.

looking good is more than having fansy effects lol

if you say "something that looks good EXCEPT if it doesn't require the engine to do the fancy work", you would cut out a) entire generations of video games, b) entire art styles, c) a gosh dang ol' ton of games

you're absolutely right that unity free doesn't allow access to more complicated and pretty rendering effects, but this isn't all you need to make a good-looking game. above all, you need good art direction and design. the effects can heighten the art significantly, but they don't always make the aesthetic.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 01:26:27 PM by otto-san »