Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 443127 times)

McJob or whatever i can title you (McJobless i dunno),
You have shown more compassion for game design then a lot of other people i know.
And i have studied game design for 2 years (then i got kicked out sorta, not going into details).
I know it means little, but as long as you believe, i am sure you can get something going and find yourself a job somewhere afterwards (if you don't have one in that direction yet).
I lack the right words to say it correctly, but i am sure you want this a lot, you know a lot and that should at least give you an edge over a lot of other people.

and that I then get to sell.
That's odd, you're usually not allowed to sell anything you make as your Major Project.

I appreciate it guys. That said, I won't be feeling too good until I finally find something I can work with. I need to learn to keep my ideas basic yet engaging...

That's odd, you're usually not allowed to sell anything you make as your Major Project.
When I signed onto my college, I used an older contract instead of the one they sent since I ruined that one with wrong information, and the older one had an optional checkbox for them owning our works. So, my college doesn't own any of the work I've made, which means I'm allowed to sell it.

I'll probably be changing the name and some textures too, just in case.

Basic engine of my platformer is finished, it took a lot of headbanging to get that inertia effect to work smoothly but it paid off. Graphics are just placeholders (the ground looks like that to make tiling easier)

A lot of the physics were ripped right from Densitron (that game you hardly remember now) the only new things that were added was the inertia.

I really want to find a way to make one-way platforms that won't interfere with other things (the methods I found involve the mask of the platform not existing when the player is below the platform, which works, but won't work if enemies are in the room)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 06:55:23 AM by Zanaran2 »

you really could just use an engine you realize

i suggest either brod's platformer engine or the grandma engine

you really could just use an engine you realize

i suggest either brod's platformer engine or the grandma engine
I think there's a lot of fun in setting a challenge and trying to find the solution.

It's far more difficult, but it can be more fun to work on your own little engine. I call it the "Dark Souls approach".

I think there's a lot of fun in setting a challenge and trying to find the solution.

It's far more difficult, but it can be more fun to work on your own little engine. I call it the "Dark Souls approach".
Yeah basically this

i'm currently trying to develop an 8-bit platformer based on some stupid dragon drawings i did in 7th grade
im using stencyl?
should i use something else?
i have like no experience lol

i'm currently trying to develop an 8-bit platformer based on some stupid dragon drawings i did in 7th grade
im using stencyl?
should i use something else?
i have like no experience lol
Never heard of it.

If you find it easy to use, stick with it.

If you're having issues, you might be interested in moving up to Game Maker.

i have designed a concept for my game, CaveJam, let me give you a chat log with my friend
kxait: i am going to procedurally generate caves with "miners"
kxait: miners work as follows: a miner starts out in a place, searches for a place to dig (id = 0) and then digs there
kxait: it also has about an 8% chance to spawn another digger when it digs
kxait: after the 200th dig, it dies
kxait: the 10th digger to die makes a 3x3 hole and spawns the player there
kxait: the digging doesnt stop, the map is saved in a variable (very big variable stored on the ram, easier to save progress to hd later) and loaded in chunks to make sure the game doesnt crash when you load the level
kxait: i am not sure how im going to work out how to make a digger work AND have the game play yet
kxait: but i think processor threads can work like this
kxait: also
kxait: i decided that the game is gonna be top-down, not terraria-like
kxait: this makes levels much easier to navigate
kxait: and i dont have to forget with lava or water
kxait: i could also make it so that after X digs all diggers die and then the game searches for a spot far from the player to put a staircase going down
kxait: it also spawns loot in small areas
kxait: with a top-down game its also going to be alot easier to make eye candy things, such as a dynamic light system
kxait: like in Monaco

will post pictures and gifs later, aswell as updates to my twitter (i used to post some stupid things there, please dont mind things like emoji boobs), i will also probably make a project page on github

edit: also its gonna be called cave jam because i like jam and its about caves
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 11:48:22 AM by pefu19 »

I have no idea what I'm making or why

The next hit nutmegman game, duh.

http://puu.sh/epAwd/783c96bdaf.gif[/img]

I have no idea what I'm making or why

Either rescale your gif or use Gfycat jesus please

I'm looking to develop a game (in the future of course) with some elements from Destiny, Borderlands, and No Man's Sky. (Mostly) Everything would be randomly generated. And I mean everything. (The weapons, the items, the characters, the gear, the landscapes, the quests, etc.) The game would be focused on adventuring, looting, and collecting. This is as far as I've got but I'm looking to develop it further in the future.

(Destiny for the general aesthetic feel, Borderlands for the randomly generated weapons/gear, and No Man's Sky for the space battles and random planets.)

Oh, and did I mention that it's going to (probably) be an MMO?
sounds like a 3d MMO version of Starbound to me.

anyways, I'm pretty new to game design but it's always something I've wanted to do. I downloaded game maker recently and I'm thinking of trying to a risk of rain-esque game just for fun. I'll probably pop in here from time to time if I get anything done with that.

I just got out of my first game development class, and holy stuff...

Nevermind the idea that the instructor seems to have closed himself off to the modern gaming industry, he seems to adamantly believe games either have to be fun or they have to be educational simulators. This is going to be a rough semester.