Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 443355 times)

I just got out of my first game development class, and holy stuff...

Nevermind the idea that the instructor seems to have closed himself off to the modern gaming industry, he seems to adamantly believe games either have to be fun or they have to be educational simulators. This is going to be a rough semester.
The modern gaming industry bit is very sketchy (although expected in Australia, as we only have indie developers here), but what's the issue with the second bit? The goal of a game should be engaging, and fun is good way of gauging engagement. Fun means the player is learning the skills they need to overcome the challenges that are required to successful achieve the goal.

Education Simulators also sounds sketchy, though...

it's a game about giant robots who keep dodging eachother

The modern gaming industry bit is very sketchy (although expected in Australia, as we only have indie developers here), but what's the issue with the second bit? The goal of a game should be engaging, and fun is good way of gauging engagement. Fun means the player is learning the skills they need to overcome the challenges that are required to successful achieve the goal.

Education Simulators also sounds sketchy, though...
I've always been more in the mindset that games need to be compelling, whether because they are fun or because they are interesting. I'm just worried that if by the end of the semester I create something that is "compelling" but not necessarily fun, I'll get marked down or some stuff.

I've always been more in the mindset that games need to be compelling, whether because they are fun or because they are interesting. I'm just worried that if by the end of the semester I create something that is "compelling" but not necessarily fun, I'll get marked down or some stuff.
So long as you have strong gameplay, it will automatically be fun :) The key is to make a lot of paper-prototypes and get a lot of people to test it out and give you their raw feelings.

So long as you have strong gameplay, it will automatically be fun :) The key is to make a lot of paper-prototypes and get a lot of people to test it out and give you their raw feelings.
That sounds good. Never really thought about getting people opinions on gameplay before its ever implemented onto a computer, I'll have to run some ideas by a couple of friends. Thanks McJob. :)

i think a good place to start for most projects is to create a minimal prototype to test out the primary gameplay aspects without worrying too much about the finer details (both technically and in other areas). you don't want to get too invested into something and figure out it's not actually that fun later on.

So guys, I've had this idea for a rhythm game for a while. The key is to move the mouse in the direction of the indicated note when the receptor passes over it. There are also notes where you have to click once, click and hold, and I'd like to add regions where you can just go forget all and move your mouse sporadically like an idiot for points. It's similar to osu!.

What I have so far:

It uses the same kind of drawing perspective as DJ Max Technika, where the receptor moves across the top and bottom of the screen. Doing the math for this kind of perspective has proven to be a little troublesome, especially where speed changes and such are concerned.

I've considered the traditional perspective where notes just go towards the receptor, like in DDR and Taiko. I've also thought about something similar to what I have now, where the receptor only moves to the right and goes back to the left after the current measure is finished, instead of going right then left again. That's as far as I've gotten on ideas, though.

What do you guys think would be the best way about drawing the notes? I'd prefer something original too, if possible, so I don't get hit by copyright, lol.

I've been interested in game design and enjoy drawing although it's not that great I think I am improving. I was wondering if there is some good tutorials or places to start to get into game design or just learn to code in a language for a start?

I cant wait till its playable it looks like fun.