Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 443517 times)

it's a preview: click for gameplay

Gonna work on a better running animation and a way to pick up that sword so there's actually a game.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 11:02:13 AM by jinkazma903 »

reminds me of transistor

it's a preview: click for gameplay

This looks pretty fun, what did you make this game in?

i'm assuming game maker

Yeah, Bushido uses game maker IIRC.

I think I'm at a good milestone where I can talk a bit about what I've been recently working on.

So, the Week 0 project for Harvard/edX's CS50 course is to make a project in Scratch, MIT's kid-friendly programming interface. We do this in the course to come to grips with programming logic, before we actually handle the syntax. I'm alright with syntax, but logic has always been my problem, so I wanted to do a program I would be super proud of. Having already failed the course once, my previous Scratch project was utter stuff. This time, I decided to make a full-boar Point-and-Click adventure. It's only 1 room, but it's already proving to be a decent enough challenge.

This has already taken 3 weeks, and so far this is just the framework to the actual game. I'm having a lot of fun with it though, adding special effects and interesting elements as I go along. I recently just solved a giant 2 week problem in about 5 minutes, and that's kept me dedicated enough to push forward.

Some interesting stuff includes:
  • The objects you can collect include "Zappo! Shaving Cream", the "Space Launcher" and a "Tear Gas Grenade Launcher".
  • There's a cutscene mode and a dialogue mode which hide certain elements of the interface and popup the dialogue options.
  • All the characters have different idle and dialogue animations (and sounds) they switch between, and Ego has a proper and random walk cycle.
  • The inventory only appears when you collect an item, and then it plays a special cutscene.
  • The laptop will be the in-game options menu. There's going to be a Main Menu, and potentially even a basic network-based save system.
  • Objects highlight correct, have labels and can be used on everything else (for the time being; will probably break in the next iteration). Interface items like the laptop, inventory and the dialogue buttons all have roll-over and mouse-down sprites.
  • The sound system plays Voice, SFX and Music at independent levels. I've also been working on a smart music manager which can automatically shift tracks based on what state elements of the game are in (and possibly I might even get the glue system working, which would allow me to layer tracks together to make more dramatic sounds).
  • The dialogue buttons randomise, and the inventory objects are listed in the order you collect them, not predefined locations.
  • It's broken now, but basic code has been implemented for the space cutscene.
  • The entire dialogue system now uses a few arrays which form a Language Database. This simplifies coding since I can now use a generic dialogue loading engine and simply pass the dialogue number values to the engine, and I can even implement a translation system for multiple languages.
  • Currently at 100 scripts, 12 sprites.

Honestly; compared to the stuff you guys are doing, this is really stuff. However, I'm proud of myself for getting this far with no tutorials and no help; just by referencing my own memory of playing Point-and-Clicks, and a bit of testing and ingenuity. I'm hoping the final result is actually decent enough to get some praise from David, the guy who runs the course.

Having been a scratch user myself for a while, that's pretty cool.

I haven't used scratch but isn't it basically a 2d version of Alice?

I haven't used scratch but isn't it basically a 2d version of Alice?
Having a look at Alice, seems like it :) Scratch isn't supposed to be for just games; it's just a simplified, visual script representation of C. I'm going to guess Alice is the same?

Having a look at Alice, seems like it :) Scratch isn't supposed to be for just games; it's just a simplified, visual script representation of C. I'm going to guess Alice is the same?
alice is based on java and i think alice 3 even allows direct java code but it's p much like 3D scratch KINDA

Made a game for the Let's Go Jam. The theme was "Japan" so I made a game about ninjas throwing shurikens at each other, because I am an unending fountain of creativity and originality.

Made a game for the Let's Go Jam. The theme was "Japan" so I made a game about ninjas throwing shurikens at each other, because I am an unending fountain of creativity and originality.

Should have been a game about shurikens throwing ninjas at each other.

I think I'm at a good milestone where I can talk a bit about what I've been recently working on.

-snip-

OH MY GOD bless your soul i tried to make a scratch game a while ago just for nostalgia

the thing lags up so quickly it's hilarious. I had to use the "turbo mode" just because the damn thing lagged from having a couple of characters on the screen :/

i really believed in it as a kid but a few years after using it i just gave up and tried to learn java. now i'm not really sure if game design is my thing but still

sorry i get really emotional when scratch is brought up