Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 446233 times)

Ok, the most glaring bug in it is that it shoots you out of the map in a very odd fashion if you hold Q. Also, you might want to explain a little bit more what is actually going on - it took me a few minutes to figure out that in order to use the grappling/teleportation, I had to hit E while the ball was in-flight. If I were you, I'd focus on fixing the Q thing and some of the lighting issues more than anything - I don't know if the falloff on your lighting setup right now is intentional or not, but it is a bit hard to see at points.

While this is, as I'm sure you're aware, nowhere near a full game as it stands, with some more game mechanics added in I could see this gaining some traction and becoming an interesting puzzler (assuming it's supposed to be a puzzle game).

Ok, the most glaring bug in it is that it shoots you out of the map in a very odd fashion if you hold Q.
that sounds like a feature to me

that sounds like a feature to me
Oh. You're right.

Or you would be, if this were CoD and you were a hacker. :P

Ok, the most glaring bug in it is that it shoots you out of the map in a very odd fashion if you hold Q.
I have to sincerely apologise for that. Q is one of the buttons (others being X, RMB and T) I used for quick accessing debug features. Normally these are coded into a specific map's script, and they're only ever made for testing maps. For some really stupid reason, Q was assigned in the player controller script even though it was being used to trigger a very specific matinee script for a very specific NPC (which doesn't exist in the released demo) interaction on a now defunct map.

What you witnessed was Unreal crapping out because if it can't find the NPC, I scripted it to search for the next best thing/location and send you there and then activate any interaction code if it exists for that thing/location (which of course it wouldn't).

Since I haven't slept since Monday, I must have skimmed over it.

Also, you might want to explain a little bit more what is actually going on - it took me a few minutes to figure out that in order to use the grappling/teleportation, I had to hit E while the ball was in-flight.
That's actually incorrect. You cannot grapple if the ball is TOUCHING/STUCK to another object/wall. However, if the ball freezes in midair or if it's still in flight you can teleport to it (the ball is then destroyed but it seems as though you are attached to it; we originally had planned a particle effect to demonstrate how this worked).

I will agree it's not taught very well. I absolutely hate doing it, but we plan on adding tooltips and tutorials seeing as we simply don't have the time to playtest and refine the maps in order to teach the mechanics well. Also, we're still testing and debugging the distances of various portions of the map and gooey ball. Unfortunately we only have a week to finish this vertical slice, and I'm the only one capable of changing the code.

and some of the lighting issues more than anything - I don't know if the falloff on your lighting setup right now is intentional or not, but it is a bit hard to see at points.
The beginning was a bit intentional; there's an exposure fade-in but I can agree it's a bit annoying. The rest of the map is WIP. Using static lights in Unreal 4 when your map is very small is an absolute nightmare since you can have any radii crossing over each other.

with some more game mechanics added in
We had to cut essentially everything; parkour, multiple physics-based weapons, human enemies, bosses, a puzzle vs. combat (light/dark) mechanic, all the story.

This project is actually more of a sob story than anything, so I'm going to be thankful if we can just submit something.

Thanks for the feedback though :)

BTW, when I said "in-flight," I just meant in the air, period. My bad, as usual, for not using the correct wording. :P

Anyway, good luck with this project and your future endeavors in the game industry, man. It's a rewarding one if you give it all you've got. :)

i made a game as part of my final project for game design class.  i basically just ripped off agar.io.

i also forgot to include a way to restart if you die before winning, so you'll have to refresh.  i'd fix it but for some reason the files won't sync w/ google drive, so i can't, really.

https://www.scirra.com/arcade/other-games/cell-370

e: also i didn't know how to make it zoom out the bigger you got, so there is that.

this looks needlessly complicated

this looks needlessly complicated
The level designer didn't do any of it and I was up for three nights, so I absolutely hated the player and wanted to give them a ridiculous gauntlet.

At least players have made it to the end. And quickly too.

Some of the Powerpoint Slides from my Major Project Pre-Production briefing. I will be officially announcing my Major Project (hopefully with the official trailer) post-presentation, so stay tuned.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I have not spoken once about this game in this topic before. There's a screenshot of my ICT game, but that's there as a comparison only.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 04:15:56 PM by McJob »

McJob, is the download for the game no longer available? I was really pumped to play the game ;~;

McJob, is the download for the game no longer available? I was really pumped to play the game ;~;
For my ICT game, the latest uploaded build is CS4_0625 and can be downloaded here.

The version used in that gameplay video is CS5_1050 and won't be made available. We're instead going to release CS6 which should include the turrets later in the week.

For my ICT game, the latest uploaded build is CS4_0625 and can be downloaded here.

The version used in that gameplay video is CS5_1050 and won't be made available. We're instead going to release CS6 which should include the turrets later in the week.
Ah okay, thanks!
Edit: I played through the demo and when ever I was jumping through the air it felt like I had little to no control over where I was headed after making the jump.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 07:47:44 PM by DJ Charizard »

Ah okay, thanks!
Edit: I played through the demo and when ever I was jumping through the air it felt like I had little to no control over where I was headed after making the jump.
Like in real life? XD