Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 442923 times)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0b6I6WtM0b_OFdTZzd1bVhaRXc/view?usp=sharing

you can get the zip for my latest build here
wasd to move, z to attack, ` to open console
you can "give" yourself any of the guns listed in the console
f to open doors
report any bugs plz
kill moving colorful squares to win
die to lose
simple

how do u, like, decide where to shoot

how do u, like, decide where to shoot
the direction of the player is where he last moved, so if you move up, you will shoot up until you change direction again, i thought it was a nice game mechanic
also, at start youre given a battleaxe, but you can go in the console (~) and type "give ak47" or something (its listed in the console)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 05:36:22 AM by pefu19 »

okay got that
but whenever there's nobody in the direction that I'm "aiming" it shoots at some other place, regardless of whether or not there's a wall in the  way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysFf0vqs6E4

this was the source of most of my confusion

okay got that
but whenever there's nobody in the direction that I'm "aiming" it shoots at some other place, regardless of whether or not there's a wall in the  way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysFf0vqs6E4

this was the source of most of my confusion
yeah thats a bug

so im brainstorming some new workflow methods, and i want to know if yall have any suggestions:

im designing a city for a project in mind. heres a draft map of what i have in mind:

essentially, i want to know what the fastest way would be to construct the geometry of this area while also respecting the placement and space of the roads. obviously i dont want a flat map with a bunch of empty space, so im trying to find the most efficient way i can craft low poly hills and mountains to use in conjunction with unreal engine 4. im currently experimenting with unreals in-engine landscape sculpting tools, but im not entirely sure unreal can match the low poly look i want. apparently some people have had luck using specified settings and materials to achieve the sharp geometry and cancel out smooth shading, but it also seems that the suggested method to get what i want is to just create static meshes in an exterior program, import it, and construct it like that

im going to give unreal engine a chance at making low poly geometry (unless anyone thinks i should try something different. if so explain.), but ive also began working on a back up in google sketchup, and this is where i have some questions:

sketchup allows me to use textures as awesome overlays to figure out where/how i want my landscape to be, while being able to maintain proper open space for the roads. the issue i have with GS though, is that actually sculpting to the specific detail id like would take a decent amount of time. i feel like id be able to cut that time in half where i able to use unreals landscaping tools, but im not entirely sure how id be able to do that with my road layout in mind (at least without memorizing the layout exactly.)

so what would you guys do? also for those who have worked with unreal before, would it allow me to use textures as overlays in a similar fashion to google sketchup?

EDIT: i was successfully able to pull off the low poly look i want in ue4:

this is the outcome i expected. its monumentally faster than doing it through GS, yet is as easy and quick as sculpting regular landscapes in ue4. now i just need to figure out how to mark roads as easily as i can in GS and ill be in business!!!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 03:42:52 PM by mod-man »

anybody recommend any good techno/dance music?

can anybody recommend any good techno/dance music??
this isn't the music thread but sure i guess https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftMQu3slgcE

ur really funny

like, as background music for a game? just steal some from monstercat

or crypt of the necrodancer

im looking more towards crypt of the necrodancer, but ill check out monstercat