Game Design Megathread

Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 442946 times)

in game maker, i can't get show_text to display √ or ², even though I know the font includes these characters :|

were really proud of you bushido <3

meanwhile, im working on a crappy game library framework thingy in java called supergl

im making it a bit like love2d, it has a draw, update and load function (they all work according to the plan), right now you can draw basic shapes and text and change the color. you can replace all the dimensions with SGL_Vec2 or just two integers, but if you do a vec2 you can do more with it l8r.
(the code in the picture is in a seperate file, and it has a .jar file attached to the project)
Here's the Github
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 08:11:36 AM by pefu19 »

ok now time for something else

Presentation to the Exhibition Panel is on Wednesday this coming week. Exhibition is about 2/3 weeks from now.

I got pulled over and told to throw minigames in (with 4 days left to go before I have to stop work?!), and art/sound is going in this week.

I'm going to be hella busy.

Good luck to both you and Bushido, I hope the content you guys make/have made bear the fruit you guys desire.

Since this is the game design megathread, I want to ask a question:

Does anybody know an algorithm that I can apply to 2d images that causes them to have a circular distortion, kinda like perennial

Need it to test graphical distortion and stuff, etc.

I really hope I can get the gameplay to work out, because right now the graphics are loving hideous.

Two days left, todo list:

Code: [Select]
For script:

->VOID objects should have their icons replaced once they are fixed
->Whatever objects you're not on should have their opacity set lower

"There's more than one of those X in here" should refer to the entire level, not just a single room

>After playing a game, you should get a message about if you won an object or got a high score or just sucked
>TETSKY_LOOK_AT should return the player's current high score if they have one; otherwise just return a generic message
>TETSKY: Should have different audio for a successful and a failed button press
>RAMJET: Needs to be a damage impact sound
>RAMJET: Add sound for when player picks up collection thingy
>RAMJET: Needs general ambient sound effect for jet
>RAMJET: Some animation for death/pickup
>Games need an opening tutorial/end death screen
>Game_Manager should have some basic music during tutorial/death screens
>Should have music for when you win the conditions of the two minigames

TETSKY
RAMJET
DATA -> Needs Image
TNT -> Needs Image
CHEAT -> Needs Image

TUTORIAL OBJECT -> Bridge

>Rewrite 200 lines of dialogue.
>Create Cutscene A script
>Add background for tutorial.
>Reorganise tutorial level objects.
>Build end level/cutscene.
>Record all lines and implement VO system.
>Add music for tutorial.
>Design presentation.

TOMORROW PRIORITY LIST:
->Hook up the Dialogue system and add placeholder slides
->Get the tutorial level done without audio (graphics/text)
->Get at least one of the cutscenes 100%

Yikes McJob that's an absurd amount of work to do in two days :I
How do you always end up in situations like this?

Best of luck to you, dude. Hope you make the deadline

you'd think he would learn after the 5th time

I shouldn't be blaming him because it's mostly down to me sucking so hard, but my teacher does keep telling me to redo things.

Just this week I was told to add two minigames (a mountain of work given the minigames were buggy as hell) and redo another level.

Are people being overly critical or do you just feel like you suck?
I doubt you are doing as terrible as you are saying. There will always be room for improvement, and as long as you are striving for improvement, it really isn't justified for you (or anyone else) to be so hard on yourself.

Are people being overly critical or do you just feel like you suck?

Nobody wants to play a game that's graphically repulsing like mine are. I'm not even confident the gameplay is gonna work (mostly because I haven't spent much time working on teaching the players how to play; I've spent most of the time just working on the games). The story is also nowhere near my greatest work thanks to the literal 3 days I had to write it.

That said, it looks like I'll make it. Final work list for tomorrow:

Code: [Select]
Code Fixes:
>Change old game name to "Cascade Fail" (RIP)
>Verify that all dialogue-grabbers are using scr_GameData.GetLocalisedText()
>Add hack/override for movement text for ENDGAME Light game
>All script files need to be converted to Unix line endings
>Minor tweaks to Tetsky/Ramjet to increase/decrease difficulty in areas
>Add generic Use/Look fail conditions for maps that don't include them already
>Verify all colours are consistent and used correctly

Map Changes:
>Help/Death/Main Menu finalisation (+credits page)
>CUTA needs an ending
>Ending Crash Cutscene (Could use box demo from programming class?) needs to be implemented
>Tutorial needs graphics clean up with NPC + transition to Main level
>Main level needs in/out transitions
>End level needs in transition

Audio:
>Rewrite ~150 lines of dialogue, record and implement VO
>Make dialogue slides and implement
>TETSKY: Should have different audio for a successful and a failed button press
>TETSKY: Audio auto plays when an object is gone, not when you press button
>RAMJET: Needs to be a damage impact sound
>RAMJET: Add sound for when player picks up collection thingy
>RAMJET: Needs general ambient sound effect for jet
>Games need an opening tutorial/end death screen
>Game_Manager should have some basic music during tutorial/death screens
>Should have music for when you win the conditions of the two minigames
>Sound for everytime the bugs disappear
>General music replacements

Misc:
>Design presentation.

Code fixes won't take more than an hour, maximum. Most of the audio is really quick, so long as I can find the right files. The cutscenes/transitions will probably take the most time, but afterwards I'll be home free. I got almost all of the art done today (at least to a standard which I can give up on), which is loving incredible.

Worst comes to worse, I can use Tuesday as well. I'll get an absolute earache for not having it ready a day early for presentation, but it's still open none-the-less.

If the gameplay is any good then I would play it regardless of the graphics. And it doesn't look that bad either way.

so im brainstorming some new workflow methods, and i want to know if yall have any suggestions:

im designing a city for a project in mind. heres a draft map of what i have in mind:

essentially, i want to know what the fastest way would be to construct the geometry of this area while also respecting the placement and space of the roads. obviously i dont want a flat map with a bunch of empty space, so im trying to find the most efficient way i can craft low poly hills and mountains to use in conjunction with unreal engine 4. im currently experimenting with unreals in-engine landscape sculpting tools, but im not entirely sure unreal can match the low poly look i want. apparently some people have had luck using specified settings and materials to achieve the sharp geometry and cancel out smooth shading, but it also seems that the suggested method to get what i want is to just create static meshes in an exterior program, import it, and construct it like that

im going to give unreal engine a chance at making low poly geometry (unless anyone thinks i should try something different. if so explain.), but ive also began working on a back up in google sketchup, and this is where i have some questions:
-snoop-

sketchup allows me to use textures as awesome overlays to figure out where/how i want my landscape to be, while being able to maintain proper open space for the roads. the issue i have with GS though, is that actually sculpting to the specific detail id like would take a decent amount of time. i feel like id be able to cut that time in half where i able to use unreals landscaping tools, but im not entirely sure how id be able to do that with my road layout in mind (at least without memorizing the layout exactly.)

so what would you guys do? also for those who have worked with unreal before, would it allow me to use textures as overlays in a similar fashion to google sketchup?

EDIT: i was successfully able to pull off the low poly look i want in ue4:
-snop-

this is the outcome i expected. its monumentally faster than doing it through GS, yet is as easy and quick as sculpting regular landscapes in ue4. now i just need to figure out how to mark roads as easily as i can in GS and ill be in business!!!
I dunno if you're still at this stage still, but what I'd do is import the mountain model into Blender, create a separate plane "traced" model of just the roads (in other words, create a plane in the shape of the roads to-scale to your map model), extrude the 2D road-plane to create a negative or stamp of the road, modify the negative to shape the terrain how you want it (such as making the top parts of the extruded road wider to create a valley). Once the negative is complete, cut the original model with a boolean and the road model, and clean up the verts and edges.

That's just one way, of course, but would probably be my first shot. Another thing you could try is overlaying the image over the map in Blender and using the knife tool to create cuts along the surface to match the road pattern, extrude the road down, select all the road faces, and do S + Z + 0 (set Z scale to 0) to flatten the road. This could end up being the faster, cleaner route, actually. Use the one above as a backup. :P