Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 443488 times)

What.
im used to coding in C# and have just started using C++
im noticing how less often you use numbers in code. in fact ive just written like 4 scripts in a row without using a single number

it doesnt feel right man

im used to coding in C# and have just started using C++
im noticing how less often you use numbers in code. in fact ive just written like 4 scripts in a row without using a single number
that's probably because of what you're doing rather than the language itself. I can't imagine anything about C# that would require you to use integers more often, much less floats

Ah, he's used to Unity.
There's floats EVERYWHERE in Unity.

There's floats EVERYWHERE in Unity.
Again, that depends on what you're doing. I was working on a localisation system, and enums were as close to numbers as I got on that.

most of it was rendering so yeah numberinos werent common.

and yeah i did come from unity, nice guess!

so im kinda new to game dev and still learning unity but how the heck do you guys stick with projects? i get inspired to make something and within a day or two once i complete something for it, it dies and i never return to it ever

it probably doesnt help that all my projects so far have been the same thing with a slightly different theme but still

so im kinda new to game dev and still learning unity but how the heck do you guys stick with projects? i get inspired to make something and within a day or two once i complete something for it, it dies and i never return to it ever

it probably doesnt help that all my projects so far have been the same thing with a slightly different theme but still
you have to motivate yourself to do it, which helps

work on it everyday, make it part of your daily routine

you have to motivate yourself to do it, which helps

work on it everyday, make it part of your daily routine

i suppose it would also help to get something which i actually want to stick with

i get inspired to make something and within a day or two once i complete something for it, it dies and i never return to it ever
That's just fine. Too many people are tempted to stick with stuff just so they can see it through to the end. Always scrap something you can't see potential or enjoyment in. When you're new and just practising, you really want to focus on rapid prototyping and adapting to different design/programming challenges. You might be really good at coding racing game physics, but if you're stuck building First Person Shooters you may never find that.

Just keep making new projects and prototypes until you find something which seems like fun. Also, sometimes a really good idea won't be fun in your first few prototypes, but if you had fun making it, that can also count. Fun = Learning, and that pleasure response is a great motivator to keep going.

You should set yourself little challenges, such as "Build X Style of Game in 48 Hours". The less amount of time you give yourself, the better; it's more relevant and more likely to get done. It might even help to ask people you trust to check in on you and reward/punish for missing deadlines.

Also, ignore what Resonte said about "routine". That's an easy way to burn-out when you're still new to the process. You especially don't want to push yourself if you've run into a wall while programming, and in those cases it's best to go and do something completely unrelated to gaming and come back much later when you're refreshed and ready. I know that some challenges have left me stumped for weeks and the best way to solve them was coming back with a brand new perspective. Ultimately, do try and do a little bit each day, but don't stress yourself over doing it at exact times; just like any good artist, you should do game design because you want to, not because you need to.

important things about keeping motivated are:

document what u did when u worked on the game last. if u ever happen to have a longer break u can easily remember what you were doing. it happens often you dont if you dont have support and it can be very demotivating. addendum to thiis is to comment ur code you dingus

try to at least work once a week on it if you happen to have a busy schedule. set milestones for every weekas well. these diont have to be big at all. e.g rig a skeleton for the main character. smaller milestones than that are also ok. break down big milestones

i dont agree with Resonte about working on it so frequently. burnouts are definitely a thing you want to avoid. along with that working from a day's start to finish on a game is a very good way to make yourself grow tired of it.

and u should allllways share your game, let people test it, even if its still early. u know that thing artists do when they dont want you to see their art when they still drawing it? thats you, dont do that. the people playing your game are close to your audience, so the critique they give is oh so important