Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 443318 times)

im used to coding in C# and have just started using C++
im noticing how less often you use numbers in code. in fact ive just written like 4 scripts in a row without using a single number

it doesnt feel right man
I mean... Just like what Fox and Job said, that depends entirely on what you're using it for. In the end, C# and C++ are fairly similarly (both C languages, so this makes sense), and in terms of number usage there really shouldn't be any difference. Floats, doubles, integers, longs, etc... These are basically handled in the same way across the two languages. Unless you're talking about something else entirely, in which case, please elaborate.

so im kinda new to game dev and still learning unity but how the heck do you guys stick with projects? i get inspired to make something and within a day or two once i complete something for it, it dies and i never return to it ever

it probably doesnt help that all my projects so far have been the same thing with a slightly different theme but still
I don't stay motivated lol. I can almost never get anything I want done. That's why I have never actually completed (or even come close to completing) a game. I am usually able to stay much more interested if it's not necessarily a personal project (e.g. The Autoworld Project I'm working on with Filipe).

how much work and polishing do you guys put in your character controllers?
im currently working with this and i personally want the smoothest controls possible but i dont know whats overkill lol

It depends on the game, as in, a point-and-click adventure would need less attention on controls than, say, an FPS. General rule is, you just polish it until it feels right. Ask others to test it out if you can, and adjust based on feedback.

im currently working with this and i personally want the smoothest controls possible but i dont know whats overkill lol

if you're not comfortable playing it, other people probably won't be comfortable either

As much as I can until it needs to ship. Bug hunting takes priority, but polish is extremely important.

Gonna try picking up FMOD. My teach mentioned last year that Australia has a lack of audio programmers, and systems design/audio programming is something I'm really interested in. Gonna start by trying to replicate the Halo sound system in Unity.

Gonna try picking up FMOD. My teach mentioned last year that Australia has a lack of audio programmers, and systems design/audio programming is something I'm really interested in. Gonna start by trying to replicate the Halo sound system in Unity.
You could also try to learn Wwise

You could also try to learn Wwise
Was debating which to go for. Wwise is what's used in Unreal (although Unreal's interface for it sucks).

just got the best game concept

ok hear me out
alien isolation gameplay
honor student scenario

ok hear me out
alien isolation gameplay
honor student scenario
I love the way you think. We need to get this done ASAP

ok hear me out
alien isolation gameplay
honor student scenario
I unironically think this is a good idea.

I was cleaning a floor and a light shone through the window and hit me and I realized I have to make a game, do you guys have any advice for learning unity?

I have an idea that I wanna work on asap

I have an idea that I wanna work on asap
if you wanna get a quick prototype working I'd use unreal instead, cus of blueprints

if you wanna get a quick prototype working I'd use unreal instead, cus of blueprints

Alright thanks, I'd talk about the idea I have in here but it's a pretty big one so I guess I'll talk to anyone who wants to hear over steam

I realized I have to make a game, do you guys have any advice for learning unity?
Unity is great for hobbyists or people who want to rapidly prototype something.

Before anything else, start with the Unity tutorials on their website:

http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials

Do Roll-a-Ball first, then do all of the Programming lessons.

From that point forward, give yourself a tiny goal (such as move a box 20 meters to the left; you might want to do something more complex but this is just as an example), break that down into specific instructions (for you to implement it and for the computer to perform when the game runs) and then work on each instruction one at a time.

For example;

Your Instructions: You'd create a box, create a script and then in the script add the ability to work with the box, and then add the movement code, then put the code onto an object in the scene that can use it.
Computer Instructions: Know how much to move the box by and know which box to move -> When the game starts -> Move that box by the amount I said

Work in C#, as this will help when you learn other game systems such as XNA and FMOD. Use the Unity documentation! I cannot stress this enough! Also, avoid using .FindObjectInScene() or any variation of it unless you absolutely need it. It takes up a lot of performance and there's much better ways to do these things.

Work slow, and gradually build your confidence. Make bigger and more interesting tasks. Never be afraid to take free assets from the Asset Store, and get into the habit of reading and picking apart other coder's code. Comment every bit of code you write, and make your own documentation as it will help you memorise what you're doing.

It's going to take a while, but you'll get there.