Game Design Megathread

Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 443528 times)

I was cleaning a floor and a light shone through the window and hit me and I realized I have to make a game, do you guys have any advice for learning unity?

I have an idea that I wanna work on asap
Also, don't be discouraged by those who say that Unity isn't for making "real games" - that's a myth. You can make games that are good with Unity just fine.  ;)

Also, don't be discouraged by those who say that Unity isn't for making "real games" - that's a myth. You can make games that are good with Unity just fine.  ;)
here's some examples of good games made in unity
kerbal space program and besiege
there is definitely a lot more but those are the best ones i can think off the top of my head

cities: skylines was made in unity as well

some people irl tell me that i should make a video game out of the pixel art of my characters, but i keep telling them i know nothing about game design/coding/i suck at writing plots

hey i was wondering if anyone had links to any sick Game Maker platformer tutorials. I made a bunch of sprites for a game and want to start working on it. thanks for any help!

(sorry for crossposting)

some people irl tell me that i should make a video game out of the pixel art of my characters, but i keep telling them i know nothing about game design/coding/i suck at writing plots

thanks

i just did this thing but i have no idea what it's supposed to be

Apologies for cursor in gif

Ratchet & Clank 3 is a complex game, as I've discovered. I'm currently working on building a framework by reprogramming the entirety of Ratchet & Clank 3 from scratch in Unity, and I've started mapping out what systems need to be made.

I'm not aiming for complete accuracy (for example, I'm happy to have a different solution for dealing damage to an enemy vs. the original programmers, so long as the result is the same between my framework and the game). I'm just looking to get something extendible.

So, it's time to talk about some of the initial design challenges of this project. Because I've been carefully planning out my work before starting, I've realised where a lot of difficulty will lie. Firstly, here's an overview of the code classes I've planned which I think I'll need. Right now, this is only for ACTOR types (i.e. objects that are spawnable in-game).

That's probably very complex, but keep in mind that it's not finished. There's still many scripts I need to plan out for specific world objects, and I haven't even detailed the System/Data scripts yet that handle all the behind-the-scenes code.

I've posted some stuff about the big 4 current design challenges I'm facing in this post if you'd like to read more.

So this is more about lore than actual design, but i can't decide what i should call my tiers of spells

it has 4 years and i've basically thought of these names

Inferior X
Lesser X
Greater X
Perfect X

This one kind of fits because "Perfect" means it's actually a perfect spell in the way it would fit into the lore.

Going to a more traditional one:

Minor X
Lesser X
Greater X
Major X

this is more classic RPG-like, at least I think.

Lastly, a more Yanfly/Kelarly way is having ones like this

Base (no change)
-ra
-raga
-raja

This way, a simple spell like "Aero" (a wind spell) or "Cure" will have these names

Aero
Aera
Aeraga
Aeraja

Cure
Cura
Curaga
Curaja

while these definitely seem cool to have a suffix system like this, i dont think i want to use ra/raga/raja to be original. any suggestions for what i should use / other naming schemes?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 08:06:27 PM by Waru »

I think the -raga and -raja ones are kinda ridiculous especially when u try to say it out loud

but I did like the -ra ones, mostly because they still sound like genuine words. they're short and it's probably better to keep it that way; you want to convey what it means clearly, and it can be kinda hard when anything aero related is aeraja. i think aera and cura sound super cool.

that's just me on the whole naming scenario. as for the tiers you could just use synonyms of the words and play around with them to make the higher levels have a cooler ring to it. make it sorta feel like there's an intense hierarchy with your spell tiers.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 08:25:05 PM by Zay »

i genuinely enjoy Fire I, Fire II, Fire III

like actually naming the spells implies they're actually different spells that have been individually discovered and perfected by different mages. like there's someone who specializes in fira but she *can* cast firaga, which is objectively the universally stronger spell as determined by all the information the player can see, so fira mage forgeted herself by dedicating her craft to something that is obsoleted utterly by something else

the idea that this fire mage specializes in fire spells in general and just knows when to use fira or firaga is more probable to me then an actual visible difference between fire mages, fira mages and firaga mages

unto the spell's nomenclature itself i think it's really grounded and down to earth to just have a forgetin number, like some mage saw this and was like 'ok that's weak fire' and then saw another and was like 'ok that's stronger fire' and started calling them by their relative levels of power instead of a more arbitrary 'greater fire' or 'master fire'
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 08:24:45 PM by Bushido »

I think the -raga and -raja ones are kinda ridiculous especially when u try to say it out loud

but I did like the -ra ones, mostly because they still sound like genuine words. they're short and it's probably better to keep it that way; you want to convey what it means clearly, and it can be kinda hard when anything aero related is aeraja. i think aera and cura sound super cool.

that's just me on the whole naming scenario. as for the tiers you could just use synonyms of the words and play around with them to make the higher levels have a cooler ring to it. make it sorta feel like there's an intense hierarchy with your spell tiers.

any suggestions for the top 2 levels?

i genuinely enjoy Fire I, Fire II, Fire III

like actually naming the spells implies they're actually different spells that have been individually discovered and perfected by different mages. like there's someone who specializes in fira but she *can* cast firaga, which is objectively the universally stronger spell as determined by all the information the player can see, so fira mage forgeted herself by dedicating her craft to something that is obsoleted utterly by something else

the idea that this fire mage specializes in fire spells in general and just knows when to use fira or firaga is more probable to me then an actual visible difference between fire mages, fira mages and firaga mages

unto the spell's nomenclature itself i think it's really grounded and down to earth to just have a forgetin number, like some mage saw this and was like 'ok that's weak fire' and then saw another and was like 'ok that's stronger fire' and started calling them by their relative levels of power instead of a more arbitrary 'greater fire' or 'master fire'

well in my world magic sorta comes out of thin air, and the way you conjure the "hole" into the torrent of magic determines what gets filtered out (like it just pulling straight water/ice) and what the individual things do. obviously this is blocked by how close you can make them to "theoretically perfect" holes for that certain spell, thus a low level mage casting a fire spell would only have a certain amount of experience making the hole, so it's not perfect, and the spell is weaker because of that. having named thresholds that appropriate to how perfect the hole is CAN be done with 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 but I'd like to refrain from using them.

even then it could be Fire I (an elementary grasp of fire), Fire II (a competant grasp of fire), Fire III (fire as used for warfare), Fire IV (spectacular weapons grade fire), Fire V (theoretical perfect fire), Fire X (impossibly powerful fire outside the laws of magic as it is currently understood), Fire XX (HOLY forget STOP THIS MAN HES SUMMONING THE SUN)