Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 443162 times)

Yo! Beginner flash game maker here! I just started learning how to make a plat former and am able to successfully create a ground and jumping player. THEN I learned how to make an animated player with different animations for each action. I got it to work, but there are some problems. As in, things I don't know how to do.

1.) I made a falling animation, but don't know how to use AS to trigger it. Is there a funtion for if(falling) or something?
2.) I got my jumping animation to work, but it only works in one direction. Really stumped on this one, since I've experimented with the code for like a day now and just CAN'T get it to work in the other direction.
3.) I don't know how to stop an animation from happening once the player releases the button so that the idle animation can be played. For example, if I run right in the game and stop, the running right animation will still continue to play.  Is there a if (Key.isReleased(Key.Right) code I can use or something? If so, I could probably easily remedy this with a touchingGround instance right?

So yeah, that's all I wanna do for now. Set up a properly working, animated character. THEN I'l get to all the V-cam, enemy, health-bar, wnning level, stuff. I'm even planning on incorporating rag-doll effects into it. :) If'n you guys need the code, just let me know. I'd appreciate the help. From what I've seen here, this is probably child's play for you guys.

I know nothing about ActionScript, but if it's anything like other "programming" languages, you should be able to read the values of variables directly.  One easy way to detect if the player character is falling is if their Y speed is non-zero (specifically, whichever way is down.  In Game Maker, positive Y and vspeed values are down by default.)  If this is a platformer with acceleration and momentum, rather than one where you just start and stop, you could have the idle animation trigger when the player's X speed is below a certain threshold.  Hope this helps.

"programming" languages
those quotes are confusing. it would have been fine without them, but now I don't know what you mean by it, because you've added them

those quotes are confusing. it would have been fine without them, but now I don't know what you mean by it, because you've added them

It's because I'm using the term "programming" loosely.  I don't know how close AS is to actual programming because I've never used it, and I'm including things that aren't really programming languages but which allow direct variable control.

actionscript is a superset of ecmascript, so it's definitely a programming language. but I'm not sure what kind of "things that aren't really programming languages" you mean, because you can't very well make a game with HTML or YAML or something

some people vary on how much they split hairs on the diff between "programming," "scripting," etc.

actionscript is a superset of ecmascript, so it's definitely a programming language. but I'm not sure what kind of "things that aren't really programming languages" you mean, because you can't very well make a game with HTML or YAML or something

Don't sweat it so damn much.  I was just trying to be as all-inclusive as possible by making it clear I was using the term loosely.

unity

Wait...no freakin' way...you're developing STRAFE?! You're one of the guys involved in it?! Cause that looks VERY MUCH like Strafe!

AS... ActionScript? what version? 1.0, 2.0, or 3.0?

Um...I think 3? I'm not sure. I'm experimenting in Macromedia Flash.

I know nothing about ActionScript, but if it's anything like other "programming" languages, you should be able to read the values of variables directly.  One easy way to detect if the player character is falling is if their Y speed is non-zero (specifically, whichever way is down.  In Game Maker, positive Y and vspeed values are down by default.)  If this is a platformer with acceleration and momentum, rather than one where you just start and stop, you could have the idle animation trigger when the player's X speed is below a certain threshold.  Hope this helps.

Thanks man! That should definitely work. Just gotta find a way to code it!

Wait...no freakin' way...you're developing STRAFE?! You're one of the guys involved in it?! Cause that looks VERY MUCH like Strafe!

Um...I think 3? I'm not sure. I'm experimenting in Macromedia Flash.

Thanks man! That should definitely work. Just gotta find a way to code it!

hey, just a friendly tip - you can use the edit button (right by the quote button) to put multiple quotes in one post. moreover, below the post editor (what I'm typing this in), you can insert quotes from the past 20-ish posts.

some people vary on how much they split hairs on the diff between "programming," "scripting," etc.

what is the difference, anyway? i never got why some people freak out about how "oh this can only script" because technically that's not the language's fault in and of itself.