Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 443419 times)

it seems that sometimes when i get to coding something, i always ridiculously forget up or always have to adjust one aspect to make another work. which may make my inexperience in coding forget up some part of my game. sometimes the tutorials i look up conflict with each other, which usually ends up with a broken mechanic that i have to redo completely, dropping something i've planned. do you guys have any tips for me and how i should carry out this game or any game in general? i want to understand before i end up trying to make a game that has no good future.

You have to have a solid understanding of the actual game logic behind whatever it is you're trying to do.  For this reason I have largely avoided tutorials (except for very specific technical aspects like 3D, data structures, surfaces, etc.) in my many years of Game Maker richardery.

Until you actually understand how to build the individual game elements yourself with your own knowledge of programming and logic, you should probably focus on making many small games.  That way the risk of monumentally loving yourself over before you even know what you did is much smaller, as you won't have to redo much from scratch.

Take me, for instance.  I've basically been richarding around in Game Maker on and off since I was in middle school (over 10 years ago!) and while I haven't produced much to actually show for all my work, I have completed a few really small minigames.  Currently I'm working on Chatters the Squirrel, and the development cycle has been long as I've been careful every step of the way to make sure that everything I implement will lay the groundwork for making later, related additions easier.  I'm sure that if you focus hard and make lots of small practice games, you can earn that knowledge and skill in a relatively short timeframe (ie, not 10 years).  Possibly even a few months!

Yo for those who don't know, my game HALT is finally on Steam Greenlight

You can watch the trailer on Youtube too!

-snip-
lookin good! i've upvoted it and i'll totally buy it if it comes out
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 08:28:24 PM by Hansome dude »

I've been given 5 months to produce the Vertical Slice for my LEGO game if I want to get it to a public exhibition.

Rather than forget around with buses, I'm going to focus on a murder-investigation (or the nearest equivalent for LEGO people). A LEGO man lies in pieces at the side of the road; there's a bunch of uncooperative witnesses and potential murder items all over the place.

I think the way to design this will be to come up with 6 or so different murder scenarios in their chain-of-events, and then try mix-and-match the different "events" to make sure they're compatible with each other for randomisation, and then I can just start paper-plans and implementation.

So, does anybody know any funny ways of killing a LEGO minifigure?

EDIT: I've come up with the idea of "slots"; every chain of event has a specific role to play in the final mystery. For example, Slot 1 could be Entrance and shows how the murdered-man entered the scene, Slot 2 could be Murderer which details what the murderer was doing (such as watching or having a drink), Slot 3 could be Weapon Ready which details (which weapon they prepared in order to kill the man) and so on.

Sounds a bit stupid now; once I have a few good chains it should make a bit more sense.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 06:09:48 AM by McJob »

Cop: "Cause of death?"

Detective: "Face print scratched right off."

Cop: "...Brutal."

"Face print scratched right off."
Congratulations, that's loving perfect  :cookieMonster:

It's going to be the first chain-of-events I work on while getting the Vertical Slice's base mechanics prepared. I think I can make it both hilarious and a bit freaky for the kids.

A murder mystery sounds cool and funny in theory but imagine it will be hard to pull it off Lego style.
The reason all Lego games have such silly kind of cutscenes and the such is because the main demographic stays children.
But if you need suggestions for reasons of death, i got one:
"His head came right off!"
And then if you had something to show it or something you see the guy just running after his head that rolls past the screen or something.

"We just patched that hole in the deck, too!"

I'm not the only one seeing these, am I?
that's probably something up with video compression

that's probably something up with video compression
taken from this screen shot, not a video

(clickable images)
I made a little texture engine that turns block structures like this:

Into fully textured things like this:

It's really easy to change the textures too!

(clickable images)
I made a little texture engine that turns block structures like this:

Into fully textured things like this:

It's really easy to change the textures too!

This is very hard to do and I'm talking from experience, so that's fantastic!

This is very hard to do and I'm talking from experience, so that's fantastic!
ey, thanks!