Game Design Megathread

Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 443712 times)

My biggest problem in creating a game is that i suck at design.
You can sit around complaining, or you can do something about it.

Bad design comes from a critical misunderstanding of what makes games fun. Fun comes through learning, which means you need to develop a scalable challenge that can only be beaten with the mechanic you want to teach your player, and you need to give them a reason to care about getting to the finish.

Do some research on your favourite games, and break them down in dot points about what their Goal is, what Challenges you faced, what Mechanics you had to overcome the challenges, and also what types of Feedback were given to you to let you know you were doing well/bad.

sadly I don't think i'm going to move forward with the game because of some stupid decisions i made at the start that interferes with the camera system and i think it's out of my realm to fix :/

Custom engine written in C# w/ OpenGL.

sadly I don't think i'm going to move forward with the game because of some stupid decisions i made at the start that interferes with the camera system and i think it's out of my realm to fix :/
at least if you don't try you can be SURE it'll never happen

Custom engine written in C# w/ OpenGL.

is it open or closed source

(I mean, can i look it? :3)

is it open or closed source

(I mean, can i look it? :3)
The engine/framework is closed source for now.

Upon release I want to release the full source along with documentation.

why?

it's probably in some proto-state of only him understanding how everything works without having to reverse engineer it

why?
"for now"

It's still WIP and not ready to be open source, but there are plans for it to become open source

"for now"
It's still WIP and not ready to be open source, but there are plans for it to become open source
there is no such thing as something being "not ready" to be open source. even the presumption that other people wouldn't be able to make much of it isn't a very good reason
but more importantly, repeating what he said and/or guessing isn't really useful

there is no such thing as something being "not ready" to be open source.
Actually, there is.

It's not ready.

if any of you are interested in recommending bosses for a megaman/metroidvania game i'm messing with you guys can poll here

i've basically settled on high fantasy/magic for the setting so the suffix is gonna be wizard/-mancer/something magicy

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1dsoTUwsryN2HOwStYcwBj9Y9PlHsXwgdIuJKwGtUqww/edit

that was ages ago and I've changed my mind since then

I was going with Unity but I found out UE4 has a blueprint system which would help me out an ass-ton
Nice, I really liked blueprints when I was messing around in UE4. Just try not to use them for performance heavy tasks.