Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 442780 times)

tfw you want to post a new gif of your game but after you hit record your code just falls apart in front of you

Some fixes applied:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 05:39:05 PM by chrisbot6 »

lovin this engine you're makin

lovin this engine you're makin
This isn't my engine any more, that's another project. These are little experiments in Unreal with making lighting and shadows work in orthographic.

For reasons that will become clear later on, the next thing I need is voxel maps:

Currently they're untextured and un-normalled. Everything is 16x16 unreal units, stretched slightly in the camera's tilt direction, so that we can map a tilemap atlas onto the voxels without issues.

DELICIOUS DYNAMIC SHADOWS

This isn't my engine any more, that's another project. These are little experiments in Unreal with making lighting and shadows work in orthographic.
ahh ok, well they've both been lookin p neat regardless

Aaaand it broke.

Kill me tbh

Least loadable mobile page 2017

On a serious note this isn't working very well. You're supposed to be able to see shadows, like here:

Unfortunately, unreal lighting isn't very good with either normal orthographic or my "fake" orthographic method, so the "sun shadows" (the blurry ones you see in perspective mode above) aren't appearing like they should be. If I take plug's light off him, there's no shadowing at all and you have even less idea what's going on.

Edit: nvm!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 05:40:01 PM by chrisbot6 »

Aaaand now I made it render different textures.

Yes, I'm aware we didn't have to normal map everything.

We have some nice tiles drawn up for this, but I'm not sure how to get things out of an atlas in unreal unfortunately and my existing attempts at that have been disastrous. I'd need a material that both grabs the texture from the atlas and repeats it ad infinitum, which sounds less fun than it is. And it doesn't sound fun at all. On top of that I'd have to do the same thing with the normal. I'd have to also do it quickly, since there will be potentially hundreds of materials used in a map.

I'll keep lagging the webpage with my progress in due course.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 10:31:53 PM by chrisbot6 »

Oh thank god, all the textures being the same gave me a headache to see what was the floor and what were the walls at some points.

Made some background fixes. A lot of the normal/tangent artifacts from the last demo aren't there anymore. Also, It's night themed. Take a look!

I think I've found a way to solve the previous issue with UVs. No guarantees it'll work.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 10:12:02 PM by chrisbot6 »

Is Gamemaker Studio easy to use?

Pretty easy. But keep in mind it isnt a very robust engine when coming with 3d.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 06:11:12 PM by FelipeO_O_ »