Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 447739 times)

Anyone know how to make cars in Unity or make a game capture a cursor?

i feel like starting a project

it's 4 in the morning

Anyone know how to make cars in Unity
car tutorials

make a game capture a cursor?
if you're still talking about unity try playing with screen.showcursor and screen.lockcursor

I made this scifi level in unity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viLb5XLssMQ
Nice, but maybe try adjusting the environment's lighting and ambience a bit, it feels somewhat plastic-like at the moment.

I'd like to start working on a game and was wondering if Game Maker 8 Lite has what I need (as in not having sprite limits and such) and has a manageable learning curve.

yes.

and if not the full version of 8 is like 20 or 40 bucks or something its not much

guessing this thread can also be used to discuss game mechanics we may have thought up?
i came up with a good one today in bio learning about mRNA, then proceeded to space out and miss all the rest of the lesson, then made a chart during math and forgot the distance formula.

i was actually under the impression that people would be talking almost entirely about game mechanics and nobody would ever actually put forth any effort to actually do anything

blockland's community is surprisingly productive and gung-ho about things that aren't actually blockland

alright then here's a neat idea for a kind of special attack:

imagine you've got a bar in a corner of your screen that fills 10% or so each time you hit an enemy.
it depletes slowly over time, let's say 5% every full second (but not during a combo of punches or kicks) so it takes 12-14 hits to fill the bar (or 10 if you're a combo master).
when it's full (or between 95-100%) it flashes violently to indicate you've got a kind of combo finisher.
so you press some key (enter or space or mouse2 etc) and time freezes/slows down temporarily.
three empty boxes appear somewhere on the screen and a timer gives you 5 seconds to type something into the boxes (3 letters)

here's the cool part

this is a chart of the 20 different amino acids involved in making proteins from RNA.

now replace GUAC with ZXCV, four fairly easy to hit keys on the keyboard, and replace the amino acid names with 64 different finishers. that's a lot of finishers. they'd do 300% more damage than a regular punch and have a sweet animation to them so you can feel badass and everything.

now imagine you're fighting a friend and when one friend gets the combo on another, the attacker types three letters to make an attack, and the defender types three letters to block. if the defender matches two of the three letters IN THE CORRECT PLACE then it's a successful block, and one of three is a partial block.

so i haven't thought too hard about this so there's bound to be some issues, but i think it'd be a great incentive to combo hit enemies as well as experiment with at first just because it's fun having the ability to pick and choose. if anything this is like Magicka, and also kind of relates to those fighting games with endless lists of move combinations. so yeah that

now imagine you're fighting a friend and when one friend gets the combo on another, the attacker types three letters to make an attack, and the defender types three letters to block. if the defender matches two of the three letters IN THE CORRECT PLACE then it's a successful block, and one of three is a partial block.

Building on that, if by some chance you got all 3 letters matched some sort of parry could trigger, allowing you to do one of those special moves and giving them a chance to block. Imaging seeing someone parry, then that person parrying right back.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 01:55:50 AM by Thorax »

i was actually under the impression that people would be talking almost entirely about game mechanics and nobody would ever actually put forth any effort to actually do anything

blockland's community is surprisingly productive and gung-ho about things that aren't actually blockland
That's because we're awesome, duh:cookieMonster:

jesus christ this is horrifying
What is that dude supposed to be anyway