Game Design Megathread

Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 443546 times)

I haven't been keeping up with this project you're working on GSF, but in regards engine or function wise, how does it differ from blockland currently?

I'd rather he go the roblox way and "sell" the creations. Or he could make it so you can only sell decals, music, memberships for your server, vip for your server, etc
loving no, this would be a polar loving opposite to BL, due to this being a spiritual successor, and would turn away many people from our current community.

Terrible idea
Actually just realized the "sell" in quotes so you may be talking about virtual currency, whoops.

Imo if you do include a money system in the game by default, you should do it in a user-friendly way, aka no Micro-transactions or that type of BS. You could have the game automatically "pay you" once every month depending on how long you've been playing that month. Like have the game pay you like 25 "dollars" per hour of playtime a month, and to prevent scamming the system you could put in a movement detector in the source code, that detects human-like input and calculates the playtime through that, so no one can use a bot to scam the system.

Also you could have a "payment" thing for when you upload builds, good mods, game modes, etc to the community as well, which would vary on the thing's ratings and download count. Also a "job" system could be done in-game where a host or admin of a server could build some sort of shop, factory, police service or something and be like a real job, except ingame, and the host / admin could set up how much you get payed every like, 5 - 25 minutes of "work"

This system would be pretty user friendly for everyone, and actually easy / possible to use or do yourself.

Also another suggestion, the game should have a few game servers that are up 24/7, except hosted by you / the game itself, as like a few base-line games. Like a City RP (Like kreon's or simmilar, not too restrictive and it'd be fun), a few TDM servers, driving / racing, and a "work" server if you desperately need money.

Another one in terms of player customization, I'd actually like it to be really indepth. Like you can choose what type of hair your character could have, the hair's color, a hat ontop. You could also choose what eyes, mouth, glasses, facial hair, etc, all independant of eachother. Same thing with the shirt, you could choose what base type, like a dress shirt, tank top, t-shirt, or v-neck or something and choose what design, colors, and decal it'd have, along with layering multiple things as well. Like you could choose a dress shirt, and have a suit-coat and tie ontop. The suit coat could also be slightly 3d, same thing with the tie. And for those you could choose what color and pattern and details as well, all independant. Also you could also select what walking and attack animations your player would have. Like a flamboyant one, creepy one, tough, sneaky, etc. It should also be possible to mod in your own decals and animations as well, and have them be visible to everyone instead of client sided (you could have an option to turn that off if the user wanted to) Also, custom player types as well, definitely

Also you could have customizable weapons in the game as well, like have a default wide selection of guns and mods you could add to them, like scopes, colors, lasers, lights, nade launcher, bipod, silencer, etc (you'd have to buy them with the virtual currency ofc so it isn't too OP, except on TDM servers, just you wouldn't have the weapon permanently in your personal inventory like you would if you bought it.) And you'd be able to mod your own ones in as well

The game should also come with a "mod tutorial" folder, with a bunch of readme files telling you what to do / how to make mods and package them (with examples), along with having some example models to teach you what the finished product should look like. The example models could be like a gun, gun attachment, melee, car, airplane, train, boat, mech, tank, player model's animations, and such like that. That way it'd make modding the game MUCH easier for beginners to figure out what to do. And in the mod tutorial folder, it'd have a text file with a good few selections for script tutorials for unity and modeling / uv tutorials for popular 3d model programs like Blender and Sketchup

Also the game could have a in-game "recording studio" that way you don't need an external program. With it you could set up multiple "cameras" like the building camera has and tweak the camera's settings, like fov and FPS, filters and such, and a simple camera tool, so you could take screenshots but tweak the settings of the said screenshot before you take it, like the resolution, fov, filters and such.

Last suggestion, try to make the vehicle physics pretty good and arcadey, let somewhat indepth and realistic. Like make the cars handle really well and smooth, yet have options in place like being able to shift manually or automatically, use different cameras the car has, such like that.

Also you'd be able to buy and test out the said items and such in the default City RP server that I suggested earlier, so it'd be much more fun and interactive than just a simple gui

Also the game should have a voice chat, except instead of being heard server wide, you'd only be able to hear a player from up to a certain distance
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 06:05:38 PM by Insert Name Here² »

I mean, blockland's primary gameplay feature is building, and it already nailed that pretty well. there's not much balancing/tweaking one can do on that aspect. If you were to make a spiritual successor, it would either be a carbon copy of blockland and it's features, a downgrade from that, or heavily inflated with useless content

The only conceivable improvement would be engine changes to help improve modibility or something like that. Otherwise, it's not really worth the time besides a little test project

spiritual successors to games without a plot is the dumbest idea i've ever heard

loving no, this would be a polar loving opposite to BL, due to this being a spiritual successor, and would turn away many people from our current community.

Terrible idea
Well, would you rather people sell their hard earned creations to have some guy make a place full of them along with stolen scripts and gain money from it?

Well, would you rather people sell their hard earned creations to have some guy make a place full of them along with stolen scripts and gain money from it?
I edited my comment

spiritual successors to games without a plot is the dumbest idea i've ever heard
looks like someone hasnt played adventure mode

Just finished both my inventory system and weapon system, now I gotta figure out how to combine the two...

I haven't been keeping up with this project you're working on GSF, but in regards engine or function wise, how does it differ from blockland currently?
I mean, blockland's primary gameplay feature is building, and it already nailed that pretty well. there's not much balancing/tweaking one can do on that aspect. If you were to make a spiritual successor, it would either be a carbon copy of blockland and it's features, a downgrade from that, or heavily inflated with useless content

The only conceivable improvement would be engine changes to help improve modibility or something like that. Otherwise, it's not really worth the time besides a little test project
I've noticed that most people seem to want a spiritual successor, and there are indeed certain aspects of this game which I've really enjoyed and want to build on. But, at the same time I want to give it its own unique theme and functionality; it's still in the experimentation phase right now, so I haven't competently figured out how to do that yet. The last thing I would want to do would be to make a clone of this game.

I want to also recreate the experience Blockland used to have, where you were a small minifig in a large world in various human-size maps; there was a sense of wonder that no other game could recreate. With this engine, I will be able to make maps even more interactive and add an adventure / exploration element to them. I'll also be adding new features like a procedurally generated world, tools for easily building large structures, rpg elements possibly, buildable items / vehicles, etc. As mentioned before, I do want to make it unique and not just a clone of Blockland. I'll be deciding on the final theme and concept later on, but feedback and constructive criticism would really help in deciding what direction to take.

I wouldn't mind allowing players to sell complex, high quality mods. But I agree, most of the content should be free - that's what the game thrives on.

btw ghost i made a huge suggestions post giving every idea I have to make this game imo like bl but much better

btw ghost i made a huge suggestions post giving every idea I have to make this game imo like bl but much better
I read it lol - I'm taking all feedback and suggestions on what to include into account.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 06:59:49 PM by [GSF]Ghost »

I read it lol - I'm taking all feedback and suggestions on what to include into account.
Alright cool!

Also if you do implement vehicle damage, you should do it in the way the older GTA games did it, where it has a single car model but when a part of the car gets "damaged" by a collision or something, it replaces that specific part of the car (like a door or hood or something) with a dented and damaged version. I believe this would be a very simple and easy-to-run type of car damage, that would also seem "blocky" in a way, instead of soft-body physics or procedually damaged like how GTA 4 and 5 does it

I think you might benefit from making a discord for it, so people can put all the suggestions there and be notified of anything that happens with the game.

so far it looks pretty neat. one thing i notice is that the brick textures seem really similar to the default or something released on these forums. for legal reasons, just keep in mind that anything made in and or released on blockland either as default or an add-on is probably intellectual property of badspot. you might run into legal troubles if you recycle some of those assets so just be careful