Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 443641 times)

Anyone else used MonoGame before?

yup! In fact, Aarlagics uses MonoGame now instead of the console. So sprite support is a thing now.

Not much else has been added to the game (as it started as just a joke) but it seems Orange actually gave up on making Aarlagic, so my version reigns supreme!

EDIT: I have also made, over the course of a week a little dog platformer using Unity as a gift for my girlfriend, in which you have to collect all 4 pieces of heart in the 4 corners of the map. It went well.

Here's a GIF
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 01:24:45 AM by Waru »

EDIT: I have also made, over the course of a week a little dog platformer using Unity as a gift for my girlfriend, in which you have to collect all 4 pieces of heart in the 4 corners of the map. It went well.

Here's a GIF
-gif-
Ah that is actually pretty cute and it looks well executed.
Hope she liked it.

does anyone remember that on dj hero clone port made? that was pretty awesome

Ah that is actually pretty cute and it looks well executed.
Hope she liked it.

She did. It was getting pretty tight close to the end and in one night I added the brown stone and the brown stone and grass, 3/4 of the level, sound, the UI, the hearts, and the heart door. it was pretty insane.

Can I ask stupid questions about Unity here? How do I get this exact value?

transform.rotation.eulerAngles.x is giving me wildly inaccurate stuff

nice game scoobwaru!! glad to see u got that jumpy bug fixed

Can I ask stupid questions about Unity here? How do I get this exact value?

transform.rotation.eulerAngles.x is giving me wildly inaccurate stuff

Mathf.Round(transform.rotation.eulerAngle s.x)

As of today, I'm working on a 2D adventure game in MonoGame. I'll post progress soon.

All I know is that pixel art is where my motivation quickly drops :/

As of today, I'm working on a 2D adventure game in MonoGame. I'll post progress soon.

All I know is that pixel art is where my motivation quickly drops :/

let me help

i've been working on a game engine since yesterday in java opengl. the end goal is to make a quake clone

i got basic rendering and a camera working (you can move around the camera and stuff too which is a loving bonus because opengl doesn't ship with that) that i have frankensteined off of tutorial code because i don't know what i'm doing but i feel proud about it
the only intelligent design i've put in so far is rendering abstraction so you have a SceneObject class that clarifies position and rotation and scale and later a .obj file path and a Shape class that actually renders stuff via the GLEventListener interface
the next step is to get .obj loading in, again probably using tutorials, but i'm thinking i should figure out how opengl works and how .obj files work so i can get the high from making a .obj loader that works good from scratch
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 09:05:10 PM by Gytyyhgfffff »

.obj loading was way easier than i thought so i'm glad i worked on that stuff from scratch instead of copying some stuff off of a tutorial. there's a lot of work i have to do with it though like figure out what the stuff vertex normals are and how to figure out texturing but its a good start. i also need to do some research about a good animation file format because while working on this stuff i figured i would have to make stuff animated at some point. if you know about any good animation file formats tell me about them so i can implement them into my engine. doesn't matter if they're compatible with the .obj format or not. the next goal will probably be figuring out how to do shading since everything right now is unshaded hence me randomly coloring the triangles in the image below so i can tell how everything looks

this paragraph is technical stuff so if you don't care about the technical stuff skip this part. if you know how to read technical stuff please do because my method of doing this is probably unoptimized as forget and you might know how to do this stuff better than me. i have a ObjLoader class that parses the .obj files and puts the data collected from them into 3 arraylists: a vertex array list, vertex normal array list, and a face element array list. it'll probably store more stuff once i figure out where to go from here. i don't know what the stuff vertex normals are but i store them anyways. Vector3's containing vertex data are put into the aforementioned array lists while the parser is reading the file, and FaceElement objects are created at this time too. the FaceElement class holds which vertex #'s make up which faces (the .obj file stores face data like this: "f 5 6 7 ...", each number corresponding to a vertex that was previously defined in the file. it gets more complex as you add vertex normals and vertex texture coordinates) and after the file is done being read it also contains the vertex data as that stuff is copied over into the FaceElement objects. additionally the FaceElement class holds how many vertexes are stored within it but that should be a given. to render this stuff, i loop through the FaceElement objects every frame (that's probably really inefficient, should look into methods of making that stuff better) to get the vertex data and display that stuff using the glVertex3f method. if the number of vertexes stored in a FaceElement is 3 or 4 the renderer will call glBegin to tell opengl whether it needs to display a triangle or a quad respectively. i don't have support for polygons yet but that stuff will probably come with time as will support for textures and colors and stuff

if any of you want to make a game engine and know java even decently well you should check out jogl because its pretty forgetin fun to code this stuff and figure it all out and it'll help you learn new stuff too

anyways to summarize all of that i'll just say blockland 2 the definitive edition will be coming out in the next few months

.obj loading was way easier than i thought so i'm glad i worked on that stuff from scratch instead of copying some stuff off of a tutorial. there's a lot of work i have to do with it though like figure out what the stuff vertex normals are and how to figure out texturing but its a good start. i also need to do some research about a good animation file format because while working on this stuff i figured i would have to make stuff animated at some point. if you know about any good animation file formats tell me about them so i can implement them into my engine. doesn't matter if they're compatible with the .obj format or not. the next goal will probably be figuring out how to do shading since everything right now is unshaded hence me randomly coloring the triangles in the image below so i can tell how everything looks

this paragraph is technical stuff so if you don't care about the technical stuff skip this part. if you know how to read technical stuff please do because my method of doing this is probably unoptimized as forget and you might know how to do this stuff better than me. i have a ObjLoader class that parses the .obj files and puts the data collected from them into 3 arraylists: a vertex array list, vertex normal array list, and a face element array list. it'll probably store more stuff once i figure out where to go from here. i don't know what the stuff vertex normals are but i store them anyways. Vector3's containing vertex data are put into the aforementioned array lists while the parser is reading the file, and FaceElement objects are created at this time too. the FaceElement class holds which vertex #'s make up which faces (the .obj file stores face data like this: "f 5 6 7 ...", each number corresponding to a vertex that was previously defined in the file. it gets more complex as you add vertex normals and vertex texture coordinates) and after the file is done being read it also contains the vertex data as that stuff is copied over into the FaceElement objects. additionally the FaceElement class holds how many vertexes are stored within it but that should be a given. to render this stuff, i loop through the FaceElement objects every frame (that's probably really inefficient, should look into methods of making that stuff better) to get the vertex data and display that stuff using the glVertex3f method. if the number of vertexes stored in a FaceElement is 3 or 4 the renderer will call glBegin to tell opengl whether it needs to display a triangle or a quad respectively. i don't have support for polygons yet but that stuff will probably come with time as will support for textures and colors and stuff

if any of you want to make a game engine and know java even decently well you should check out jogl because its pretty forgetin fun to code this stuff and figure it all out and it'll help you learn new stuff too

anyways to summarize all of that i'll just say blockland 2 the definitive edition will be coming out in the next few months

bring back battlemix

I've always appreciated Unity for 2D development. Simple, clean, uses C# and works.

this 6 months old but i just want to say that unity is one hundred, hundred hundred hundred perfect, hands down-- garbage at 2D game development. It's built-in physics suck richard in a 2D environment, pixel perfect physics/rendering is extremely difficult to achieve (I wasted two nights trying to find a solution to make it look PIXEL PERFECT), and unity's attempt at unifying resolutions is a stuff method with small textures. Yes, it could probably work for hi-res, i'm-an-art-student-but-made-a-video-game video games, but it poo poo back door for anything else