Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 443564 times)

got bored and made a rocket.

http://thepotato.net/games/rocket/rocket.html
wasd to control
now combine that with your physics engine...
... and include rectangular rotational physics to make an awesome rocket simulator.

Goal of Life

The idea in this game is that you are a person, going through the subgoals that help you achieve the goal of being completely happy and content with your life. The subgoals are represented with dungeons where the enemies are based around the antonyms of the sector.

Happiness: Sadness -> The enemies are supposed to have a lure, being the "hero" of this game you are supposed to be concerned about the sad depressing people. Children crying, sad mothers, depressed people in general. Though upon helping these "sad" people, they attack. A sad child could stab you and a sad mom could beat you to death with a broom or something. The boss of this dungeon is sad, drunken, father. He throws beer bottles at you and he can spawn abused mothers.

Art: Destruction -> The walls, the floor, are all destructable for your enemies. They can break the floor under your feet and plumet you to your eternal demise. The boss of this dungeon is a giant made of all the broken walls and floors that can literally walk and break anything in its path.

Intelligence: Inability -> Your enemies are now handicaps (**coughglasscough**) the point is that all these enemies mob you and throw things are you randomly. The boss is a a giant sheet of glass a giant football player who can ram you down. Literally, he can start running and knock you down.

Romance: Loneliness -> For this one I was mostly thinking cupid. When you first walk into the level you are greated with a bunch of pixel hotties ;) and you have the choice to talk to them or just start hacking and slashing at the poor innocent ladies. Well if you did the first one you would have been shot by them all instantanously so good loving job. You likely will loose like half your health. Your enemies are flying angels of cupid sent to kill you. The boss is Stocking cupid.

Faith: doubt -> You start out with meeting a friend. Someone who you literally are not allowed to damage. He fights monsters who throw swords and stab with arrows (some weird monsters that emit doubt because their weapons do the opposite of what they should). The boss? Why your friend himself. The man you helped level up, grow, through the entire level now turns on you.

You have 2 slots for items. Melee and Range. By default you spawn with a dinky dagger and a bow. When you walk around a new item, you have the option to press E and pick it up. Items will differ in damage/range. Pretty generic. The graphics style is pixels. uh, so coding wise this is what I am using my game engine called Cipirian that I wrote with otto-san. So instead of listing what is done, I'll just list what needs to be done:
-checkpoints system
-weapons system
-organizing AIs (ai's exist and can move etc, but there is no intelligent movement)
-every single piece of art
-maybe some music :)
-fixing death so it reloads the scene
-making the levels (there is a fully functional level editor)

if anyone is willing to point me to a slave pixel artist that would be really cool.

now combine that with your physics engine...
... and include rectangular rotational physics to make an awesome rocket simulator.

I couldn't get collision with multiple objects working decently, it got really buggy.

http://thepotato.net/physics/beta.html click to add more balls.

EDIT: now with particles~
http://thepotato.net/games/rocket/rocket.html (you might need to refresh)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 06:47:37 PM by Steve5452 »

the point is you aren't allowed to post EXEs to the blockland forums.
You aren't outright prohibited to post .exe files, but it does depend on the context. Obviously if you just post an .exe without any extra info it'll look sketchy, but it's always fine if you include a virus scan from something like virustotal.net.

I couldn't get collision with multiple objects working decently, it got really buggy.

http://thepotato.net/physics/beta.html click to add more balls.
mark my words I am going to fix this for you.

I'm having a little trouble using gml,

I'm using this (if) statement in a step event

Code: [Select]
if talkingmusic = true {audio_play_sound(bgm,1,true)}
and it will work, but it plays the event over and over again making the music start playing over itself every step and it lags the game to a crash. How would I toggle this event only once?

Shouldn't that be "talkingmusic == true"? IIRC, assignments return the variable's value, so that statement always returns true and always runs.

Shouldn't that be "talkingmusic == true"?
I dont know, any other variable I write like that works fine
IIRC, assignments return the variable's value, so that statement always returns true and always runs.
When the object is created "talkingmusic = false" and when space is pressed the step event "talkingmusic = true"
Would I have to make it false right after
Code: [Select]
audio_play_sound(bgm,1,true)??

Shouldn't that be "talkingmusic == true"? IIRC, assignments return the variable's value, so that statement always returns true and always runs.
GML allows = to be used for comparison, but also for assignment. I think it works based on the context, so it would be worth replacing with == just to see if it works.

GML allows = to be used for comparison, but also for assignment. I think it works based on the context, so it would be worth replacing with == just to see if it works.

I indeed tried that, but it didn't change anything

I have solved my problem though, I'm pretty new to gml so I used a kind of nooby solution but basically

I wanted music to play while you where talking to a character, but that's when I ran into the above problem, so instead I just created an invisible object on top of the character that would toggle the music and destroy itself. Hopefully in the future I'll learn how to do this better

So uh this is what I've been working on lately.

I got the idea to design a small but silly game while under the influence of whatever drugs I was given after my surgery a few weeks ago, so I wrote down some ideas while in the car on the way home and have been slowly making it a reality. God help us all. ;_;

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I2y6NdJ4Kc
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 12:48:40 PM by jamesster »

I got the idea to design a small but silly game while under the influence of whatever drugs I was given after my surgery
holy stuff everyone in the universe should do this
the gaming industry would become awesome

It's pretty much done. Did some playtesting with a friend via skype, turns out the second level was so ridiculously hard that out of the hour long conversation 30 minutes were spent trying to get past that one darn level - I had just played it so much while making it I knew exactly how to do it.

This video contains a glitch I could not reproduce and peewee. His voice didn't get recorded but oh well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35HLACG_uk4

It's pretty much done. Did some playtesting with a friend via skype, turns out the second level was so ridiculously hard that out of the hour long conversation 30 minutes were spent trying to get past that one darn level - I had just played it so much while making it I knew exactly how to do it.

This video contains a glitch I could not reproduce and peewee. His voice didn't get recorded but oh well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35HLACG_uk4

are you using unity, because that's the only 3D game engine that comes to mind, but how did you get it to work for liunx?

are you using unity, because that's the only 3D game engine that comes to mind, but how did you get it to work for liunx?
Unity can export natively to Linux, it's just the web player that doesn't work.