Game Design Megathread

Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 442988 times)

that's adorable, but what's happening with the gif artifacting or whatever

thanks!

it looks pretty normal to me, except the red against the blue background looks a little weird. i'm not sure i see what you mean. I just recorded video with fraps then changed it to a gif in photoshop.

I just recorded video with fraps then changed it to a gif in photoshop.
perhaps you could use LICEcap instead? it records directly to gif.

Not seeing any myself; maybe it's on your end?

nice, didn't know about this software. thanks for showing.

LICEcap always records for me in a solid color any tips?

Alessa_Demo_CS10_RC1 is out now. Probably the second last build before the final. I'm going to feel great finishing this loving thing off so I can start work on my Major Project (hopefully an actual good game).

DOWNLOAD! DL Size = 600MBs, Uncompressed = 1.2GBs

Things to be fixed for final:
-Notification of new hint in pause menu doesn't work
-Audio is unbalanced and overall stuff
-Shooting through a wall will leave you unable to fire until you exit the wall space
-Possible to fire gooey during pause menu
-No prompt for using "Tab" to open the pause menu
-Pause menu needs to pause audio
-Main menu sucks (No fade in, button designs and button layouts, no button sounds etc)
-Lighting woes (Particle effects lighting the entire external map and leaking into other map chunks)
-Final room (Blue Electric forgeter) needs to be redesigned
-End Cutscene needs a bit of work
-Cheat can be activated, but currently does nothing (except prints a string)
-About 3GBs of unused/redundant content needs to be deleted
-Code Cleanup/Comments/Names
-Timer starts at the wrong place and ends at the wrong place
-The Map Tracker is completely broken
-Not all fonts are consistent with the main font yet
-Most lights do not disable their visibility before destruction
-Esc quit needs to be a hold; esc button press should just close pause menu
-No encryption on fast run save file
-No message regarding "Recommend if you want to grapple that you simply fire a gooey without charging"
-No message regarding "You can't grapple to a gooey that's stuck to something"
-HUD replaced by white bar on death; should be a full-screen death effect
-Checkpoint A/B/C (Respawn) is broken

Things already fixed for final (not in above version):
>Game Icons and other external stuff is not ready (Done!)
>Possible to complete the first Gooey Ball change by jumping over the wall instead of using the boxes (Done!)
>Current fastest run is set to 1:20 which is impossible in current build (Done!)

Note about fastest runs: If no save file is detected, no message will appear in the main menu. If a save file is detected, you will see the fastest run in the menu and during the game. Only your fastest run is recorded.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 01:55:52 AM by McJob »

-No encryption on fast run save file
doesn't sound like a problem to me

I'm making Pong in Unity. I'm right now working on getting rotation angles when the object hits a paddle.

Unreal 4 Solution:
-Create an Event Hit node
-Drag off "Hit Location"
-Do a simple sum to find the rotation you want

Unity 5 Solution:
-Ignore the Collider and not have access to  OnCollisionEnter() and contact.point because you dared to try and use Kinematic bodies
-Instead, convert your Colliders to triggers and then do a loving raycast (which are loving frustrating to set up) to find the contact point
-Do a series of sums in order to find the one value you want before you can do the sum to get the rotation

I can't loving fathom how people find Unity better than Unreal. Everything is 5 steps backwards.

Found a better (not good, but better) solution:

[9:53:52 AM] Hugh Wotmeigh:When the ball enters a specific line (point on the X axis), I'll get the X position of the paddle
[9:54:16 AM] Hugh Wotmeigh: * Y position
[9:54:21 AM] Hugh Wotmeigh: Since I know the bounds
[9:54:29 AM] Hugh Wotmeigh: (+1.5 <-> -1.5)
[9:55:12 AM] Hugh Wotmeigh: I can then figure out the approximate impact position using the Y position of the ball
[9:55:18 AM] Hugh Wotmeigh: And then apply rotation
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 06:56:37 PM by McJob »

Unity works just fine for me, I've never had to over complicated anything like that.
The other solution you posted looks like it might be faster than the way your doing it in unreal.

-Instead, convert your Colliders to triggers and then do a loving raycast (which are loving frustrating to set up) to find the contact point

I don't understand how raycasts are frustrating to set up. What do you find difficult about it ?

Atmospheres! And nukes.

Everywhere.

Unity works just fine for me, I've never had to over complicated anything like that.
I have to agree with you there.

[Edit]
After some more refining it does start to look decent:

« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 04:39:20 AM by Gravity Cat »

Messing around with shapes and lighting for my major project.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 05:06:57 AM by McJob »

pls make something good

pls make something good
Prototype playtests have come back green. The only potential problem is that I have been barred from using Unreal 4; I have to use Unity which I'm not confident with and lacks a lot of the cool features I wanted to make use of.

That said, I plan on doing everything I do in Unity this term in Unreal 4 as well so I can compare which is easier, which means I'll have a base for the public release version.