Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 443322 times)

i want to find someone who will collab with me

someone who is good at coding but not so good with art

i could make art and design levels and stuff. i just suck rooster at coding

i want to find someone who will collab with me

someone who is good at coding but not so good with art

i could make art and design levels and stuff. i just suck rooster at coding
what engine

I'm working on my own game right now in the Godot engine. I'm the only programmer on the project, and we're lacking in artists at the moment.

what engine

I'm working on my own game right now in the Godot engine. I'm the only programmer on the project, and we're lacking in artists at the moment.

anything that supports 2d sprites rly. my texture skills are ok, but something i can do.

anything that supports 2d sprites rly. my texture skills are ok, but something i can do.
Do you have an idea of what you want this game to be? Or are you just looking for a project to do art for?

If you're going the route of making your own game, I'd suggest game maker. Toby Fox used it to make Undertale and he's said before that he actually doesn't know any programming languages. It can't be too bad considering how huge Undertale got. I've never used game maker though, so my advice can only go so far with that.

If you're just looking for a project to be an artist for, I'd suggest you join mine because art is not a strong point of mine. I've already got the story and gameplay planned out to a certain point, and I already have something semi-playable. What I need is someone who can draw characters that my colleague and I design.

If you're going the route of making your own game, I'd suggest game maker. Toby Fox used it to make Undertale and he's said before that he actually doesn't know any programming languages. It can't be too bad considering how huge Undertale got. I've never used game maker though, so my advice can only go so far with that.
game maker is pretty easy to get into and the documentation for GML is pretty great. there are also built in tutorials that can teach you a pretty good bit, even on more advanced things. i haven't really had to look up any tutorials or external references aside from obscure or highly specific tasks.

also yeah undertale's code is apparently pretty weird but it does show how easy it can be to get into it even without programming knowledge, but it can also be rly powerful if you know how to take advantage of all its features

The Rpg itself is pretty much your typical Rpg with a bland story, but I'll try to make the best of it.
Eep.

If you description ever includes the words "typical" or "bland", you're not working hard enough at it. Furthermore, if you can't muster up enough confidence to say "Hey, I'm working on this real cool thing right now", you might be working on the wrong project. You want to try and use your time productively to produce content that you really like, so it's important to find an idea you can fall in love with because by the time you hit the middle of the development cycle, your relationship with the idea is going to be tested hard and it would suck to have wasted time on something you just give up on half-way through because you got bored.

In an effort to prevent you forgeters from splashing cash on a course you don't need to do, I'm currently in the process of writing the "McJob's Handbook to Not Making stuff Games - An Aggressive Approach To Good Game Design". It'll basically be a summary of all the GD-related stuff I learnt over my 4 years, as well as some additional notes and facts I've picked up from my additional research (such as Valve's take on colour theory for level design). I'll be including as much sources as possible for those who want to double-check I'm not bullstuffting.

The sunlight rays at the top of the hole are a very nice touch

Is the background just a blacker version of the foreground, or did you add slightly more blue to the color?

You can make it look a bit more natural that way.

Is the background just a blacker version of the foreground, or did you add slightly more blue to the color?

You can make it look a bit more natural that way.

The background rock layer uses the same palette as the foreground rocks, just the deeper part of it, so it follows the existing darker-is-purpler color flow.  It's probably a little less obvious in this particular scene, since everything is shaded a little bit blue.

Next weekend I'm gonna be doing a game jam with a group of friends, got 72 hours to make a game from scratch. Gonna be exciting :v

Next weekend I'm gonna be doing a game jam with a group of friends, got 72 hours to make a game from scratch. Gonna be exciting :v
I have a really hard time getting started with things. I always wanna do like 100 years of research. and just for stupid stuff like picking a template language or figuring out what session library I should use or what database software
I dunno, I guess, how it would go with other people*. but I definitely can't see myself finishing a game jam by myself. I'd spend those 72 hours deciding on an engine
I think it generally leads to being more sure that I'm making a good decision but I don't think it's worth all that time that's basically 100% wasted

*or I suppose I do, really. I've worked on a couple of things with my boyfriend and just not wanting to make him wait sorta motivated me to just pick something I guess. still, I dunno

It definitely helps to know that I'm not really competing with anyone, so I'm working solely to benefit myself by learning how this stuff works. No pressure means motivation isn't an issue

It definitely helps to know that I'm not really competing with anyone, so I'm working solely to benefit myself by learning how this stuff works. No pressure means motivation isn't an issue
well I don't think I'm competing. to be specific, lately, I've been wanting to make a little web app just for budgeting stuff, and to serve as a way to get familiar with the stuff I wanna use for something else without being overwhelming. it's literally just for me. I'm not even subject to anyone's expectations here. but I've been planning it for like... what, two weeks, by now. and only yesterday did I actually do express-generator (creates a basic template for an express app) and stick it on github
like, literally, something that takes five minutes to do. but I procrastinated for two weeks

I still need to improve some things