Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 442834 times)

Jack and Cassie looks like re4 and papers please had a baby. Love it already
excuse me?

I meant this stuff. I tried to make a weapon pack from this but back then there wasn't a lot of fun art and test footage from the game

I've been experimenting with an idea for a topdown shooter- fast paced, very much inspired by cool online flash games from 2005 (xgen studios)- and I've come to a point in my prototype I'd like some feedback.

So as I have it now, the camera follows the mouse crosshair (it being in the center), and the corsshair can never move more than something like two times as far as the player (the player sprite is 32x32, so the cursor can only move the camera up to 64 pixels away from that). The reason I did this is because in a lot of top down shooters I always feel like my camera never shows me enough of the screen to get an accurate shot.

The problem is, this method also feels pretty disorienting. I'd like some input from you guys if you have any about how I might go and fix this problem or if I should just scrap the idea all together.

Here's a playable demo: http://swholli.com/games/topdown/

EDIT: I fixed the camera! I was using a far too linear method, jumping the camera's x and y coordinates in a square instead of a smoother way that creates a boundary radius the camera can travel on. The demo now shows the more fluid system in action if you care to check.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 07:10:08 PM by Swholli »

not quite game design, but I am working on a mod team now. Hearts of Iron IV, learning how to code and stuff.

hey i was wondering, sorry if this doesn't belong here; how possible is it to create a jet set radio-esque game in the source engine?

hey i was wondering, sorry if this doesn't belong here; how possible is it to create a jet set radio-esque game in the source engine?

just as possible as any other capable engine really, might be some archaic points along the way trying to get everything working compared to unity or unreal, but doable. cell-shaded shader would give you the jet set look.

So, I've been thinking about a little Source or Unreal project. I probably won't actually make it, but it's a fun idea to think about, and if there's enough interest it might even make for a nice group project.

I'd appreciate feedback or ideas. He's just a layout of my current thoughts.

Influence A: Jurassic Park

I've recently been getting back into Jurassic Park, on account of finally getting a hold on the novels. Jurassic Park is a study of chaos theory and complex systems, and how they can defeated by the innumerable minor variables we can't know enough about to make accurate predictions about, or by external and unrelated influencers that completely turn the system on its head. It also talks about arrogance of the creators and how not understanding the source breeds ignorance that leads to fatal mistakes. While most people appreciate JP for the dinosaurs, I really love the deeper meaning, and I feel it'd be perfect for a video game.

Influence B: Logical Deduction In Games

One of my big points of game design is that there is an important distinction between "sandbox" (the world and all the pieces inside it, as well as the rules that dictate how they behaviour and interact with other elements in the sandbox) and "game layer" (a goal and set of rules that define what the victory conditions are and how a player must go about to achieve them), and it annoys me how not enough games make use of these distinct components.

Consider the fact that in most games, you are told what you need to do. You're given a set of step by step instructions to follow, and what you're tested on is your physical ability to perform a chain of commands that are required to proceed. In these games, the sandbox and game layer are not distinct concepts, and the elements of the sandbox are often scripted to behave according to what the game wants to teach the player to physically achieve at any point.

That's fine, but as somebody who enjoys leadership and planning (but not in the style of modern RTS/TBS games), I want to have more ability to explore more roleplay-levels of decision making based on a dynamically changing environment.

What if there was a game where you're presented with a scenario, and you had to overcome it?

My theory involves a multiplayer game in which there is a well developed sandbox full of elements which all have deep rules on their interactions with all other elements, but none of those elements have any understanding or relation to the higher level game layer, and can operate independently of a higher power (like a GameManager object). Instead, the Game Layer serves to give context to why the players should persist in the world, and validate when they've overcome the chosen critical challenge.

Game Idea

I'm imagining a multiplayer 3D First-Person survival horror game for the PC, using local hosted dedicated servers.

What if there was a facility where scientists had finally created some big new prototype of something. Maybe it's genetic hybrids or automatons for warfare. Some kind of product which demonstrates wilful ignorance on the behest of the creators who played with science, not understanding the greater implications. The facility is open to a small tour of important VIPs, there to inspect the product to judge its viability.

The players take on the role of either the CEO, members of the Security team, the facility's Engineer/Admin staff in control of systems, the VIPs who've come on the tour, a Saboteur who initiates the game proper, or the Prime Experiment who serves as the main antagonist and drives most of the in-world events (like the T-Rex and Raptors from Jurassic Park). Each has their own goals and rules that dictate what behaviours they have, and any roles not filled in will be controlled by an AI system.

The beginning of the tour is scripted, and starts normally. Cracks begin to appear according to imperfections in the AI's coding which nobody could have accounted for (chaos theory in action). At some point, the Saboteur will be pressured into triggering the game by sabotaging the facility's systems, allowing all of the elements in the sandbox to exhibit their behaviours without limitation (including the players). From this point forward, the game is dictated simply by the ever-changing variables that players cannot predict, but must try to adapt to.

The goal is to have an atmosphere much like the Jurassic Park movies; players must work together to achieve their own individual goals, figuring out what is available to them in the sandbox and what issues they must negate (for example, the power might go out, and so players will need to figure out and plan how to turn it back on). The game never gives any more than the most basic core goal that determines if a player wins or not (for example, the tourists might have "Escape", while the CEO might have "Capture the Experiment"). The intent is to not be an Evolve or Trouble in Terrorist Town style deathmatch, but actually encourage roleplays that last for hours, with players diving into the atmosphere of the world.

Ideally, the longer the world is left to its own devices, the larger the cascade failure; more systems will begin to fail and bigger problems will appear. It encourages more tension, and success feels greater as the odds are continually stacked against the players.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 03:39:12 AM by McJob »

ok now that is done with what's the idea

I had this game idea that I wanted make. I thought it is pretty big, so I decided write it all down on a google doc as a booklet. I hoped to get more ideas of it later on.

Here it is
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FR1u13f6ko_dtbl7HrzDYuNqBv6wJdMQR3v3A87ny4Y

Right now, I don't know what kind of engine and graphics I want. But, I am getting the story down and, world building. I was inspired off of L4D2 so, some ideas are kind of from that game.

I had planned 3 stories for each survivors in Western USA, Eastern USA and, Britain. Each have different times and stories from one and another. I have some ideas but yet, i don't know where I could start at.

can anyone answer this gd question that prevents me from moving forward with my game?

https://answers.unity.com/questions/1435754/quaternionlookrotation-makes-rotation-freak-out.html

my engine now called the ine can render 1 million faces at 70 fps on my stuffty laptop thanks to the power of  v b o   i n d e x i n g. also i recommend that if anyone is having trouble adding onto their code because their code is a disaster just start anew because that's what i did and i'm making good progress such as making .obj loading really efficient and spending more time focusing on one feature at a time instead of trying to put as many features in as possible in a week like i was doing previously. i only posted this because holy stuff eggine is the best pun in the world holy stuff i made that pun holy stuff i am so good.

also i recommend that if anyone is having trouble adding onto their code because their code is a disaster just start anew

Can confirm (from learning the hard way) that this is critically important advice

now with 150% faster eggplant rendering