Author Topic: Dead CMOS battery and invalid security certificates  (Read 2681 times)

Basically my CMOS battery is dead and every time i try to load up a page a security error comes up on Firefox.

I can't get hold of a new battery at the moment, so is there any way to have Mozilla not shout at me and make it stop pointing out that it isn't 2004 before I try to load up any webpage?

I tried the whole Browser.ssl = 0 thing in about:config and it didn't work.

What's a CMOS battery?

battery that powers the internal clock on a computer.
When it goes out, comp can't keep time when offline/online.
I don't really know, I skimmed through google.

What's a CMOS battery?

When you turn your computer off at the mains/turn laptop off and remove battery it is the secondary battery which keeps information in the CMOS chip still existing.

Another one of its purposes is to keep track of time.

My battery has died, so every time i turn the laptop off it resets to the laptops' default manufacture date, 2004.

Because of this I can't go onto websites because Firefox thinks that the website has an invalid certificate due to the time difference. Resetting the CMOS clock every time i boot up is a pain in the ass so I want to simply turn certificate verification off

It's generally a bad idea to do this but clicking on add exception every time I do a Google search just plain sucks.

Replace the battery, 6 bucks at most at a Target, Walgreens, Bestbuy, or any local store that sells watch batteries.

And for those who don't know CMOS, it is the function of your motherboard that controls date and time as a function but also stores memory of the motherboard aka BIOS settings.  Dead battery means well, nothing terribly good, that is if you want your settings saved properly.

Edit:  When replacing the battery, do the swap as fast as possible to avoid loss of data but considering it's dead for a bit now, doesn't matter.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 04:00:12 PM by suburb »

Replace the battery, 6 bucks at most at a Target, Walgreens, Bestbuy, or any local store that sells watch batteries.

And for those who don't know CMOS, it is the function of your motherboard that controls date and time as a function but also stores memory of the motherboard aka BIOS settings.  Dead battery means well, nothing terribly good, that is if you want your settings saved properly.

As I said, I can't get hold of one ATM. I'm fully aware of how to obtain one.

I'm asking if there is a way round. That's it.

Apparently you can't disable Security Certificate's in firefox.

Sync your time with the internet before you do anything?

Everybody in this topic completely missing the actual question.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 04:03:01 PM by tails »

As I said, I can't get hold of one ATM. I'm fully aware of how to obtain one.

I'm asking if there is a way round. That's it.

The answer would be no.  It's a physical component of the motherboard so unless you like resetting the clock, that's what you'll have to do until you get a new battery.

Apparently you can't disable Security Certificate's in firefox.

Sync your time with the internet before you do anything?

But it's so much effort
Oh well I'll just buy one tomorrow.

OH wait I have like 2 more laptops that I never use

Well never mind then. Thanks anyway guys.

Why not just take the other computer's CMOS Battery and put it in the broken one?