Author Topic: Disable collision between players/bots  (Read 1707 times)

So my friend Electrk pulled this feat a few months ago and I've come to need it in a script. But I can't figure it out.
I tried tracing, and I found something called armor::onCollision, which I assume deals with collision between players. I tried overriding it but nothing changed. I noticed it was calling botHolePackage's onCollision, which called zombieHolePackage's onCollision, which called sportsBallsPackage. So I deactivated all three packages, and now when I collide, it calls armor::onCollision plainly, which does nothing and returns 0. so how do i manage this?

i think physics is like, hardcoded into the game. the oncollision function is probably to tell any packaged function that a player/bot collided into something else and decide if something should be called to it (i.e. bouncing balls probably call the addvelocity function). and by hardcoded, i don't mean badspot wrote it. correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe physics comes from the Torque engine itself, not scripts badspot made.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 03:59:29 PM by mitterdoo »

fair enough. maybe the player hitbox is a separate object and he deleted it or something? how do you think he went about it?

fair enough. maybe the player hitbox is a separate object and he deleted it or something? how do you think he went about it?

Something bad happens if you make a player w/o a hitbox.

Something bad happens if you make a player w/o a hitbox.

Let me guess. The player immediately falls through the ground at 20 Torque units per second squared.

Let me guess. The player immediately falls through the ground at 20 Torque units per second squared.

Actually I think the game just crashes.

I tried tracing, and I found something called armor::onCollision, which I assume deals with collision between players. I tried overriding it but nothing changed.
onCollision is a callback; it's called when something collides, it doesn't do anything with actually handling whether things collide

The answer to your request is that you can't. Electrk didn't do this either, I don't know what you saw but if you did happen to import a player without a collision box safely, I'm absolutely sure that the outcome would be the player falling through the ground.

did you try asking electrk how he did it

he wasn't online. :(
The answer to your request is that you can't. Electrk didn't do this either, I don't know what you saw but if you did happen to import a player without a collision box safely, I'm absolutely sure that the outcome would be the player falling through the ground.
ok
onCollision is a callback; it's called when something collides, it doesn't do anything with actually handling whether things collide
yeah i figured

Actually I think the game just crashes.

Nope, but your movement is going to be extremely glitchy.

You won't fall through the ground, but you will walk through everything and occasionally get stuck even though you have no bounding box.

Why don't you make a very thin collision box at lets say at your feet? You would still have one, but very small. I dun know

I noticed corpses have the property we're looking for - no collision with players. Anyone experiment with that?

Nope, but your movement is going to be extremely glitchy.

You won't fall through the ground, but you will walk through everything and occasionally get stuck even though you have no bounding box.
Why wouldn't you fall through the ground? Z0 isn't hard coded as the ground, you still experience gravity and unless there was a plane at your feet for collision the ground wouldn't be detected.