Author Topic: I just got ubuntu linux on my laptop.  (Read 1110 times)

sudo rm -rf /

jk that will delete your system

Learn how to use it. I tried it and I cried in a corner and cut myself when I tried to install something. It was so loving frivolous and unnecessarily complicated.

I tried Ubuntu once to see what it was about. It made me furious.

I richarded around for an hour trying to install steam. What is this stupid ubuntu software center bullstuff?

They say Ubuntu is good for beginners, but honestly, I had less difficulties using Manjaro (arch-based) than I did with Ubuntu and its derivatives.

Regardless, @OP, just install whatever you need to install when you need to install it, e.g. chrome, steam, skype, whatever. Going on an installation spree and downloading every app that might possibly be slightly good won't really help you.

also I forgot to mention that ubuntu is infested with bugs, which is why I don't use it

also I forgot to mention that ubuntu is infested with bugs, which is why I don't use it
It depends on the computer you install it on. The kernel likes some computers better than others, and different kernel versions can play nicer than others, I've learned from personal experience.

It depends on the computer you install it on. The kernel likes some computers better than others, and different kernel versions can play nicer than others, I've learned from personal experience.
Personally the Fedora/Red Hat kernels run much better on all of my machines than Ubuntu's kernels.

From personal experience with Ubuntu, I'd have to say it is quite possibly the worst Linux distro there is.
I'd recommend slapping on a different distro like Arch Linux or Puppy Linux, or better yet: slap on a copy Windows 2000.

From personal experience with Ubuntu, I'd have to say it is quite possibly the worst Linux distro there is.
I'd recommend slapping on a different distro like Arch Linux or Puppy Linux, or better yet: slap on a copy Windows 2000.
why'd you use Windows 2000 today

Enjoy overly-complicated installations, and the new cool-status pin being mailed to you right now.

why'd you use Windows 2000 today
You normally wouldn't. However it can still run most/some modern PE binaries and is quite possibly the most stable windows operating system to date. It's also a very lightweight system, for example I run Win2k on my local FTP server that only has 128 MB of RAM and a 1.4 GHz CPU and it still runs fluidly.

To be fair, installations in Ubuntu or any distro really aren't as convoluted as some of you are making it out to be. It's as simple as either looking it up in the software center and downloading it from there, or going to the website, downloading a .deb and installing it that way. Rarely will you have to go into the terminal, and even then, it's just a simple "sudo apt-get install programname". (I prefer to use aptitude though.)

The only problem is that Ubuntu, Debian and their derivatives have outdated software in their repositories, but for the sake of stability.