Poll

I might need a poll later on.

drendran accidently voted for this
145 (72.9%)
I'm using this mod.
54 (27.1%)

Total Members Voted: 198

Author Topic: Blockland Essentials - Server being remade from scratch  (Read 32880 times)

Could you elaborate on how exactly builds are saved/loaded in the 'cloud'?
You go to save gui and type name then hit upload.
Save is added to list.
You open load gui hit cloud tab and list is shown.
Select element in list and hit load to load
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 10:15:22 PM by DrenDran »

that's pretty straightforward

lovey.

make it compress the data somehow
that'd be even more lovey

You go to save gui and type name then hit upload.
Save is added to list.
You open load gui hit cloud tab and list is shown.
Select element in list and hit load to load
Lol, I mean like, what's the backend of it

oooh
if the server has the mod
and the person tries to load a remote save
have the server download the file directly, skip the middle-man client

Are languages server-sided, and can I write a language file and use that?  (Is it .PT files?)

Time for lots of words

that's pretty straightforward

lovey.

make it compress the data somehow
that'd be even more lovey
Well since everyone who has it would also have the BVS saving format, I was going to give the option of using it.
It can reduce save sizes by a third, usually.

Lol, I mean like, what's the backend of it
I guess I could go a bit more in depth.

When you hit upload, it saves the bricks to a temp file, just like you had saved them normally.
Then it sends a metadata packet to the server, with your name, the saves name, and wheather or not the save has ownership and events.
The server replies with comfermation that its ready to receive a save and a randomly generated code.
Then the server sends the save file in 25kb or less chucks, prefixed with the packet name and the code.
Then once it's done, it sends a closing or concluding packet with the code, and the file is added to the two indicies.
The client deletes the temp save.

When you hit the cloud button, the client gets this index a easier to read version also exists.
When you load one of the saves, the client does a simple and HTTP request for the file, as were it a webpage.
It then saves it line by line is a temporary file.
Once this is done, it loads the temporary file as had you selected it normally.
The temp save is retained and is "tempDownload" in the saves list, just like how servers have a temp save so you can /reloadbricks

oooh
if the server has the mod
and the person tries to load a remote save
have the server download the file directly, skip the middle-man client
I was going to have some interaction there, yes.
Including the ability to verify identities.
For now however the ability to manage your files could be very much like the way you delete images on an imageboard.
As stated above, you get a temp password while uploading. If I made the client retain this, I could create a separate gui for editing, organizing and deleting your saves on the cloud.
Also the use of the BVS format would be much easier if I got the server invovled, since BVS is (as of yet) a server sided format.

Are languages server-sided, and can I write a language file and use that?  (Is it .PT files?)
I gotta admit, that doesn't make much sense to me.
When you first load blockland, for example, the buttons on the main menu will be translated.
Since you have not yet connected to a server, I don't see what you mean by server-sided.
You will be able to make your own language files, in fact theres a thread in GD requesting translators.
The mod will come with a "language" folder with some translations, but any other translations could be stored in config/client.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 09:05:59 AM by DrenDran »

Guess it's time to remove my FOV slider from the mod.
No one even knew I had made one when Badspot added it to the game.

I dearly hope that you have some way of compressing those save files, 'cuz someone could quite easily spam it and use up all your bandwidth and storage space, and also effectively DoSing your service.

I dearly hope that you have some way of compressing those save files, 'cuz someone could quite easily spam it and use up all your bandwidth and storage space, and also effectively DoSing your service.
Apparently marble man already tried exploiting it and it didn't work.
Other than that I'm still pretty much the only one to have uploaded saves so far.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 07:35:03 AM by DrenDran »

Oh but your FOV slider had a wider range to choose from. Why take it out?

Guess it's time to remove my FOV slider from the mod.
No one even knew I had made one when Badspot added it to the game.
I did. :L
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 06:15:48 PM by BDX »

Oh but your FOV slider had a wider range to choose from. Why take it out?
I don't think baddy would appreciate that.
Besides, if you look in the dev thread, no one was even aware there had been one.
On another note, the first person other than me to upload a save was Brotatoe.

So my question is about the F2 Screen. You added space for two more things, but how do those work? In one photo it shows money and dems, but I'm in AhemIdkSomething's city RPG and I can't see anything in those two. Is there something I have to do on my end?

So my question is about the F2 Screen. You added space for two more things, but how do those work? In one photo it shows money and dems, but I'm in AhemIdkSomething's city RPG and I can't see anything in those two. Is there something I have to do on my end?
Nope, the server needs the mod for it to work.
I might make it so the player list is normal, and only looks different when you're on a server that supports the expanded list.

Nope, the server needs the mod for it to work.
I might make it so the player list is normal, and only looks different when you're on a server that supports the expanded list.
Okay I'll mention it to him, thank you!

I don't think baddy would appreciate that.
Besides, if you look in the dev thread, no one was even aware there had been one.
Maybe there's some way to mod the default FOV slider and increase it's maximum