Author Topic: Touchscreen Support  (Read 1192 times)

Now, Tablets are becoming dominant. Some are now running on windows 8 and stuff. With this craze going on, we need Touchscreen support for BL. Basically, touchscreen controls.

Ugn.

No, this is a fairly awful idea considering how Blockland works, you would have to have buttons all over the screen for building, controlling yourself would also get fairly confusing, not to mention Blockland's weapon system would require another 5 buttons. And don't even forget crouching.

This game has a lot more controls than Minecraft does, since I know you are going to point out Minecraft is playable on a tablet.

building could be done relatively well if tapping on the screen would place the temp brick there, then you could have a building control set mode or something, maybe gestures for rotation and shifting

obviously people using tablets will be at a general disadvantage at all times, that's just a drawback of touchscreen gaming.

bl is definitely not designed for it though

I dunno guys I think it would be pretty cool to dm with the gyroscope or something

Now, Tablets are becoming dominant.

I highly disagree with this statement because PC's still have plenty more capabilities then tablets ever will. Also, blockland has a large amount of keys which makes it great but also make it almost unplayable on a touchscreen. The only thing tablets are really dominating is the extreme low end PC market.

I highly disagree with this statement because PC's still have plenty more capabilities then tablets ever will. Also, blockland has a large amount of keys which makes it great but also make it almost unplayable on a touchscreen. The only thing tablets are really dominating is the extreme low end PC market.
Well, look, See the fact that Desktop and Laptop sales are falling in favor of Smartphones and Tablets.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 05:04:15 PM by Mr Queeba »

Ugn.

No, this is a fairly awful idea considering how Blockland works, you would have to have buttons all over the screen for building, controlling yourself would also get fairly confusing, not to mention Blockland's weapon system would require another 5 buttons. And don't even forget crouching.

This game has a lot more controls than Minecraft does, since I know you are going to point out Minecraft is playable on a tablet.
This... Is one drawback as I know.
With the items, you could like swipe down to show the items and choose your item.
You could touch the Paint Icon and it would bring up the Paint menu where you select your paint.
With the bricks, you could swipe from the bottom up and it would show. Button for brick menu.
There would be 2 digital D-pads, one for moving and one for looking. There would be the buttons to jump and crouch as well as use the light. There would be a Chat button and it would bring up a chat entry box.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 05:07:52 PM by Mr Queeba »

Well, look, See the fact that Desktop and Laptop sales are falling in favor if Smartphones and Tablets.

True, however this is also partially because the average computer tends to get a longer "life span" then ever. Another point is that back only a few years ago, the average person had to use a PC to just use basic internet/web services, and now they don't need to buy one just to go online.
resource
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 05:10:47 PM by QuadStorm »

True, however this is also partially because the average computer tends to get a longer "life span" then ever. Another point is that back only a few years ago, the average person had to use a PC to just use basic internet/web services, and now they don't need to buy one just to go online.
resource
Well, you are right. Although the PC is still not obsolete and is being used, still. It would be good to use another control method. Like, Laptops are getting touch screens now.

This... Is one drawback as I know.
With the items, you could like swipe down to show the items and choose your item.
You could touch the Paint Icon and it would bring up the Paint menu where you select your paint.
With the bricks, you could swipe from the bottom up and it would show. Button for brick menu.
There would be 2 digital D-pads, one for moving and one for looking. There would be the buttons to jump and crouch as well as use the light. There would be a Chat button and it would bring up a chat entry box.
You forgot that you still need to be able to click, jet, and admin orb.

The hud would be so cluttered, no one would be able to see what they are doing.

I'm not an advocate of touchscreen gaming, but there aren't that many buttons... are there?
Tools: Swipe to open, tap to select.
Paint: Swipe to open, tap or slide to select.
Bricks: Swipe to open, tap to select w/ another button to open the menu.
Place Brick: Tap on screen with brick panel open to place a ghost brick there.
Rotate Brick: Tap on the ghost brick.
Fire: Tap (or hold) the screen while the tool menu is open.
Painting: Hold the screen while the paint menu is open.
Activate: Tap with no menus open.
Look: Gyroscope (toggleable) or sliding the screen.
Jump: Tap with two fingers.
Jet: Hold with two fingers.
Light: Button in the lower left.
Zoom: Pinch or expand fingers.
Crouch: Button in the lower right.
Menu: Button in the upper left, contains more features than the PC one because they can't be all fit into touch controls.
View: Toggles first/third-person, upper right.

Overall, it's not too bad, but it's still not worth it unless someone makes an add-on.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 06:59:59 PM by TristanLuigi »

you do realize that one of the most prominent reason sales are rising is because schools are buying them in bulk n stuff for the students

No.  This will never happen.

you do realize that one of the most prominent reason sales are rising is because schools are buying them in bulk n stuff for the students
At higher than retail price.