trying to cancel my Orange/EE contract

Author Topic: trying to cancel my Orange/EE contract  (Read 1585 times)

Not many people are going to be able to help me with this as I live in the UK but I'll explain it to the British people anyway, because I still need help as I am stuck on what to do.

My contract plan is 1GB of data, 100 minutes and unlimited SMS texts. It's also an iPhone 4s which goes along side the plan.

Now this is where I become stuck, I signed upto a 24 month contract which I am unable to get out of with valid reason, and I don't exactly know what to say as I've signed up to a 'contract'. It might sound stupid me saying 'i want to cancel a contract' but I do.

I don't want to be stuck with this plan for any longer because I want to have a 1-month 'pay as you go' type plan where I can cancel whenever. Plus I want to iPhone 5s, the camera is gorgeous and the FingerID thing is perfection.

Basically, I'm stuck with my stuffty over-priced plan and I need to get it cancelled, any ideas?

You can't - it's a contract. They will let you pay it off for slightly less than the monthly bill * months remaining though, just phone and ask.

Well, the contract is signed and is valid until those 24 months expire.
You should probably thoroughly go over and think ahead before signing these contracts, otherwise you get into plans that give you stuff overpriced services that you can't get out of for a couple months or years just to keep draining your wallet of everything it has.

Really, the amount of ways you can get out of that contract is no more than none. Sorry.

here in america they let you get out of phone contracts, but for a fee

not sure how big the fee would be if they even allow it

sorry darren

well that sucks, i mean that £32 contract was really good around 12 months back, but now you can get really good plans for dirt cheap, especially with EE being a new service kicking in the country

grrrr i'm so annoyed by it, i could pay 9 x £32 to finish my contract early but i cannot be arsed to pay like £288 to cancel it early, i just can't do with this stuffty iphone 4s

i might just end up buying the new phone sim-free

There are ways to get out of contracts, idk how different things are in the UK.

Some kick you out of the contract if you use a forget ton of roaming minutes. You could always say you're enlisted in the military and getting deployed. They will ask for a document stating that you are, but you could type up one and literally sharpie over every word on the paper deeming it "classified" and they should legally still accept it. You can come up with something about you moving (but make sure you are "moving" to somewhere where they do not provide service at all, might require a proof of address though).

If you are willing to put up a fight, I'm sure there are plenty of ways you can escape your contract by arguing with customer service, speaking to managers, tell them that there is a change in their terms of service for the contract (there has to really be one, just look at recent updates) and inform them that you think it's unfair and wish to cancel. This will probably be a painstakingly long thing to do and you'll spend lots of time on the phone and on hold, but it might work.

None of these are 100% obviously but I'm going off word of friends, family, acquaintances, and popular internet postings.  

well that sucks, i mean that £32 contract was really good around 12 months back, but now you can get really good plans for dirt cheap, especially with EE being a new service kicking in the country

grrrr i'm so annoyed by it, i could pay 9 x £32 to finish my contract early but i cannot be arsed to pay like £288 to cancel it early, i just can't do with this stuffty iphone 4s

i might just end up buying the new phone sim-free

I have no idea how it works over there but you can't upgrade your phone. Atleast with Verizon over here in the US you can upgrade your phone and have it subsidized pretty heavily every 2 years.

I have no idea how it works over there but you can't upgrade your phone. Atleast with Verizon over here in the US you can upgrade your phone and have it subsidized pretty heavily every 2 years.
Depending on your contract you can get regular phone upgrades.
If it's an upgrade on the iPhone series though it does tend to rack up the price on your contract.

I can only suggest that you visit your local Orange/EE shop and have a chat with them. There might not be anything you can do, but it's worth a try.
Otherwise you might have to stick to the contract until it ends.
You could purchase the new phone sim-free and just get a cheap Pay-as-you-go sim card, but then you'll be topping up a sim card, while still paying monthly for your current contract.

Unfortunately you might just be stuck with having to pay your contract, or opt out if they give an option with fee for that.
Next time you should definitely have a longer look for contracts. See if a short contract would suit you better, or something where you can get a phone upgrade.

But for the meantime, just have a chat with someone from EE and see what can be done. Sorry about your problem.

well i'm saying this because i've got a huge possibility of roaming around america next year with my dad and since the contract is still running till september of next year, i wouldn't want to waste £32 a month when i could spend that on a roaming data plan which is monthly renewable with EE extra.

EE Extra gives me the ability to get unlimited texts and calls abroad aswell as at home, and for the exact same price as my current contract

I think you'll just have to phone up EE or pop in to one of their branches.

An international roaming plan with unlimited texts/calls sounds pretty good.

See what they can do to transfer your current contract over to this new one. They might be happier to accomodate you if you tell them you're planning on switching providers come the end of your contract, and possibly before then too.
Most of the time they would much rather they could help you stay with them than lose you to another provider.

Well in the final run, I was unable to cancel my contract although I was given a huge boner by Orange. By huge, I mean; it nearly poked my eye out.

Old Plan
Price: £32.21
Minutes: 100
Data: 1GB
Texts: Unlimited

New Plan
Price: £27.00
Minutes: Unlimited
Data: 5GB

They talked to the manager. I had to act as if I was hugely pissed off for him to notice I was happy, and he talked to his manager and within 15 minutes he lowered my contract by £5 and given me practically an unlimited plan.

To say the least, I can live for another 9 months with my iPhone 4s, I'll probably buy the iPhone 5s on it's own in due time.

Thanks for the advice guys!

I'm surprised people actually buy into these crazy contacts.
There are plenty of non contract options.

Also, how come you can never buy more than one month at a time?

What prevents you from buying it and using the previous contract with it?

New Plan
Price: £27.00
Minutes: Unlimited
Data: 5GB

Jeez that's expensive for that.

Jeez that's expensive for that.

It probably induces repayment for the device

It probably induces repayment for the device

Well still, I pay £20 a month for unlimited calling (literally 25.44 hours a day), unlimited texting and 10GB 4G.