Author Topic: Tick Events - Makes repeating actions a lot easier and flexible  (Read 7704 times)

Not that Pecon or his add-on making isn't cool or anything but...
Code: [Select]
OnActivate Self FireRelay

[Delay] OnRelay Self FireRelay

OnActivate Self CancelEvents

And with VCE...

OnRelay self addVariable count 1
VS
Code: [Select]
OnActivate Self SetTickRate

OnActivate Self StartTicking

OnActivate Self StopTicking/PauseTicking
I don't really understand how this adds anything to the game that isn't already incorporated into the game. And no, it isn't easier, they're on the same level of effort and complexity for setting up repeating systems; this does not reduce effort by any stretch of the imagination. Nor does it add more usability, they are on the same level there as well; one just doesn't require you to arbitrarily tell how much it will be delayed as a secondary initial event.

Good to see Pecon continuing to improve his coding skills though, but this really didn't need a release.

This is sweet, and the best part is you can have this and relays going, so you can multitask!

I don't really understand how this adds anything to the game that isn't already incorporated into the game. And no, it isn't easier, they're on the same level of effort and complexity for setting up repeating systems; this does not reduce effort by any stretch of the imagination. Nor does it add more usability, they are on the same level there as well; one just doesn't require you to arbitrarily tell how much it will be delayed as a secondary initial event.

Good to see Pecon continuing to improve his coding skills though, but this really didn't need a release.
Your point here is true, it is basically the same thing as repeating relays. However there is extra use if you use both, you can have OnRelay events for one thing and the OnTick event in the same brick for something else. You could store two repeating groups of events in a single brick, so you could end up using less named bricks with this.

Just as Yin Yang said above in more simpler terms.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 07:49:38 PM by Kamutog »

it simplifies things on a grander scale and works on torquescript to loop rather than piggybacking off the event system's base capabilities

And let's see, this time the spammer was...

...Setro?

Seriously.

Anyways, I'm going to definitely implement automatic spam detection on that soon. Just some more important things to work on first.

Also, one area I thought that this mod could provide particularly unique functionality was in it's ability to pause ticks. Since you can make ticks as long as 10 minutes, they could easily be used to control aspects of a gamemode without needing any supporting code to change the length of the game. Additionally, if you change the tick time while the brick is already ticking, it will attempt to apply the new tick length to the current tick and append the time remaining on it. This way you can dynamically change the time between your ticks.

I read the title as Ticket Events. Besides that, seems reliable

I read the title as Ticket Events. Besides that, seems reliable
OnActivate >> Client >> GiveTicket

*You got a parking violation*

Thank you, i've been waiting for this!!  :cookieMonster:

I should make a tutorial on message rotations using this.
Anyways, great add-on.