Author Topic: 2013/12/01 - Blockland r1908  (Read 61454 times)

people don't want to upgrade their toaster to a microwave
u cant toast bred in a microwave,,,

u cant toast bred in a microwave,,,
I guess Plexious just got...

burned.

The problem isn't that "some" players couldn't run the game with that many bricks, it's that most players couldn't.

We already have shaders that have made the game much more computer intensive. To higher the brick limit would be pretty much useless because not only would a small portion of the players be able to use it (let alone use it with shaders,) but barely any people ever get to the current brick limit in the first place.

I wouldn't mind the limit being raised, it would allow for some really cool builds to be made. I'm just saying that I doubt it would happen because it would only benefit a fraction of the players to the fullest extent.

You guys need to realize that I'm not complaining, I would love to see a higher brick-limit. I'm just saying that I don't see it happening because it wouldn't be a feature of the game that many players would even use, so why take the time to add it? If it happened then a lot of players would have to choose between running shaders or having a high brick-count. When most players can't even use both features to their fullest potential, I don't see developers using up their time on adding them.

The argument that people need to just upgrade their toaster-of a computer works with shaders because that's just one thing. A good chunk of the players don't use them, but even less would use a mega-high brick-count, and less still would use them both at the same time.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 07:49:49 PM by Mysteroo »

Uhhh almost none of what you're saying is relevant to why there's a brick limit. The limiting factor is networking, it has little to nothing to do with graphics. The reason why we should have a higher brick limit is the same reason why we just got an fov slider: people should decide for themselves hiw they want the game to look and perform. Let's agree to disagree, and say that the same percentage of people don't use the default fov of 90 as the percentage of people who can run more than 256k bricks. (Personally, I think the number of people who don't use 90 degree field of view is around 2% and the number of people who can run 256k bricks is much, much, higher). How useful is the fov slider for the vast majiority of blockland users? Not very. But should it have been added? Absolovinglutely, 100%.

Why is it any different, excepting development time? The answer is that it isn't. The brick limit should be increased, period. Same thing with anti-aliasing.

(Also, my 7850 can run 256k bricks with full shaders. At the time of posting, you can buy it from newegg for $165, a price point that can be described as low-medium range)

uhh for me there is no fov slider and when I press my zoom button and let go it zooms in and stays that way until I either hold down f or type in console "setfov("90");

also happens to my brother so it's no mod conflict.

asdf I never meant it shouldn't be added, I'd like to see the limit made higher. I just meant that I didn't think it would be. Not talking about why there's a brick limit, just why the extra effort may not be put forth to make the limit higher.

But I could be completely wrong, the FOV slider is a good point- I don't see much of any people using that either, but it was added.

Also I was exaggerating with the 2%, I really have no clue how many people reach the limit

The bug where bricks don't entirely disappear for a while after cleared drives me nuts

Can you please fix this before the steam release
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 12:28:28 AM by MARBLE MAN »

(Also, my 7850 can run 256k bricks with full shaders)
My 7850 struggles at full shaders with 128k bricks. is yours a 2 GB or 1? mine is a 1 and it doesn't do well like yours. plus, it's overclocked

And this? ;)

that's actually a mod ter problem, in the bricks, the creator can specify how much brick coverage there needs to be to hide faces

that's actually a mod ter problem, in the bricks, the creator can specify how much brick coverage there needs to be to hide faces
Well Badspot did implement it in the game default. So if the actual creator of it fixed his version, it wouldn't be the actual default ones fixed.

So it's kind of Badspot's responsibility for that now.

The bug where bricks don't entirely disappear for a while after cleared drives me nuts
Can you please fix this before the steam release
Is that default, or custom brick? If it's custom, or possibly using some custom DTS Brick system, look for onRemove functions and replace them with onDeath. onRemove has ~1 second delay for some reason, while onDeath is instant.

My 7850 struggles at full shaders with 128k bricks. is yours a 2 GB or 1? mine is a 1 and it doesn't do well like yours. plus, it's overclocked
Mine has 2gb vram. A 7850 1gb sells for as low as $125 on newegg

Not being able to run the game well isn't necessarily your PC's fault.
I can run Skyrim, Crysis, F.E.A.R., Left 4 Dead 2, etc, just fine!
I lose about 1 fps for every 1k bricks in Blockland.
To put it in broad terms, try running Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (Win95) on your $3000 computer, and watch as you get about 15 fps. Some games are just built on a crap engine, PERIOD.