Author Topic: doPlayerTeleport - setPlayerTransform without the bugs!  (Read 8654 times)

this makes this one 100x better.
si

Although
Also, you can do some rather interesting things with this one that you couldn't do before
You could already do this with the other one. I've done it several times, the effect just isn't good unless you're in first person
Pretty sure you just use the relative option and it works fine

Also, you can do some rather interesting things with this one that you couldn't do before

I remember doing this with Teledoors.
Does the player spawn in the middle of the target brick?

Question answered on the OP.

Does this work with vehicles or does the player get rotated towards the target brick without teleporting?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 12:48:46 AM by Fastlex »

si

AlthoughYou could already do this with the other one. I've done it several times, the effect just isn't good unless you're in first person
Pretty sure you just use the relative option and it works fine
Relative option on the old setplayertransform only made the direction you were looking relative. it still jerked you back to the same center of the brick.

Relative option on the old setplayertransform only made the direction you were looking relative. it still jerked you back to the same center of the brick.
No, there was an option to keep the position on the brick.

Ok.

Let's talk about setPlayerTransform. SetPlayerTransform packages the onActivate and onPlayerTouch callbacks to set variables on your player object to show the last brick you touched. It also sets variables on bricks saying who last touched the brick. This means that:
- setPlayerTransform will only ever work correctly for onActivate and onPlayerTouch
- setPlayerTransform has an unreliable method of determining who to teleport and as a result will sometimes teleport the wrong person, or teleport to the wrong place
- setPlayerTransform cannot teleport to a brick relative to a brick that wasn't the one with the event in it.

Other problems with the old method were:
- setPlayerTransform used a timeout (?)
- setPlayerTransform did unnecessary stuff to find the used brick instead of just having a box where you enter a brick name

This one's definitely better, it's much less buggy.

But other than being able to teleport relative to another brick, it's pretty much capable of the same things as far as I can tell, that's all

:o

for those who don't understand, for the original setplayertransform you couldn't have the events on another brick trigger the teleportation, like by having the brick fire a relay to another brick which contains the teleport event, and having that brick teleport the person triggering the original relay event. this one, however, can.

this makes this one 100x better.

I still don't understand what that changes

explain it to me like I'm a 5 year old that got dropped on his head

three times

I still don't understand what that changes

explain it to me like I'm a 5 year old that got dropped on his head

three times
so

say i clicked a brick with onactivate on it, and it triggers another brick that has the teleport event.

with the old setplayertransform, that wouldn't work as the setplayertransform event had to be directly triggered by the onactivate.

with this one though, the situation explained above works.

only one i'm curious to know if works is if projectiles, both player-shot and event-spawned, teleport players. i'd assume the former would work, but would the latter?

so

say i clicked a brick with onactivate on it, and it triggers another brick that has the teleport event.

with the old setplayertransform, that wouldn't work as the setplayertransform event had to be directly triggered by the onactivate.

only one i'm curious to know if works is if projectiles, both player-shot and event-spawned, teleport players. i'd assume the former would work, but would the latter?
It's meant for players only but i'm doing some updates soon.

so

Thanks

make it so that if you teleport a player to the name of multiple bricks, it randomly selects one
this way we could randomly teleport players to any brick named "bob" without all the vce work

make it so that if you teleport a player to the name of multiple bricks, it randomly selects one
this way we could randomly teleport players to any brick named "bob" without all the vce work
Okay.