Author Topic: Blockland External Database System - ?  (Read 1085 times)

Blockland External Database System - Yes or No?
Blockland External Database System is a system that would allow people to register privately modded servers, and instead of storing data on the system where data might be limited or maybe he/she just doesn't want to keep the files locally, you would use my library(?) to connect to an external server that would keep all the data in a MySQL database that would be hosted by me on a VPS.

Though right now this is a work in progress as I am still currently writing the database/server, but I thought I should ask you guys what you would like to see. Do you guys even want a external database system? Do you want a TorqueScript library to come with it? Because I don't have unlimited database space, every server will have a limit. Should I allow servers to purchase more database space?

Management wise I'll probably have it work a bit like PubNub works. Each project gets a key, and a read/write and a read key. So you submit a table structure (2 tables max at start), and I will put it into the database and when I give you the go you can insert/delete/update/get columns (this will become automated if this gets anywhere) with the r/w key, and with the r key you can only select. Eventually this will all be done via a GUI.

So guys, would you use this? What do you think? Any tips?

Sounds cool, I wouldn't use it though..

I wouldn't have any use for it, honestly.

Wait. Hold on.

Why? This sounds literally pointless.
I'm being serious. Explain a way this would be more helpful than what we can do now.

What's wrong with just setting up PHP pages yourself with passwords to post to MySQL or select the data?

Or, better yet, just use global variables.

the biggest problem i see is this

if you have limited storage space, you're either storing a lot of stuff/ a lot of big stuff (remember this for later) or you're not on a rtb dedicated or whatever
if you /are/ on a dedicated server, you have the storage space
if you still don't have the storage space, you have a decent internet speed, but if you don't have the storage space for all your files, you've got to pull the files that are too big to reside on-location over the internet whenever you want to use them

yeah i don't know if i'm being clear or not but I can't see a really good use for these besides database structuring, which seems above and beyond what torquestuff needs.

cool idea though. make a torquescript library and external python database server or something, make the lot of it open source, and post that. then everything can be handled locally should someone need it, you get to do something cool, and you don't spend money on a vps not many people will use

i could be wrong, just my 2 cents

Thanks for the feedback. Ima lock now.