3D Studs

Author Topic: 3D Studs  (Read 3347 times)

didnt zor do something like this back in the day? i cant remember if it was just a map or it was actual bricks :p

either way its p cool, but id have to see it on a build before i could actually say whether or not it'd look good

pretty cool though, nice job!

You should release it as a brick in sections of 1x1 2x2 4x4 and 8x8. We could place them in certain areas to indent them, like stone paths, while flat surfaces like counters and tables could be smooth.

You should release it as a brick in sections of 1x1 2x2 4x4 and 8x8. We could place them in certain areas to indent them, like stone paths, while flat surfaces like counters and tables could be smooth.
that'd be sweet.

I really don't think 3D studs would add anything to the game. It would make bricks look thicker, add unwanted noise, and would misshape builds.
Using them in a build wouldn't look too good.

It's a neat idea, but I don't think it should be done.

I really don't think 3D studs would add anything to the game. It would make bricks look thicker, add unwanted noise, and would misshape builds.
Using them in a build wouldn't look too good.

It's a neat idea, but I don't think it should be done.
...and god help us if someone makes a build and then decides to use the FX sprays. Jesus.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 04:16:30 AM by Ronin »

What ever happened to those brick things that were being shown off long ago that were flat but were affected by lighting almost like it was a normal map? I don't recall how long ago it was, but it looked nice and ran pretty smoothly
It's the same thing. They had just as many faces and were just as laggy.

We need to think of something clever to do 3D studs. Something extremely clever.

something clever = specular textures
wow what a good idea someone get right on it !

Everytime, that i playing on Blockland i ask about it: why no really studs?

something clever = specular textures
wow what a good idea someone get right on it !
we already have specular maps to an extent.  Now if we had bumpmapping, that would be megasick.

This engine my god. It keeps holding us back.

yeah jeez badspot why can't our engine handle all these extra faces all over the place... god this engine is so terrible...

do these cull correctly? are they .bls or .dts?

we already have specular maps to an extent.  Now if we had bumpmapping, that would be megasick.
that was the joke

yeah jeez badspot why can't our engine handle all these extra faces all over the place... god this engine is so terrible...

do these cull correctly? are they .bls or .dts?
I just experimented by using bricks instead of static shapes. They were pretty smooth and fast, but I reached the brick limit.

Something can be done easily, but the players can't do anything.

This is probably what you have been doing but

Make BLB bricks using a special model?

This is probably what you have been doing but

Make BLB bricks using a special model?
I've tried that. Reaches the brick count with a medium-size build.