Author Topic: 8th grade exam from 1912 makes modern people look dumb  (Read 2084 times)

i dont know what grades are, but im assuming they are the same as years

most of the questions are just different. we are tested on different things nowadays because technology has grown and needs have changed.

Arithmetic:

1. A lot of wurds
2. Can I have a calcyoolator?
3. $13.37
4. He got $300 so that is 30,000 cents.
5. $66.66
6. What the banker tells you
7. Who cut a third off of all the girls?  It isn't possible, so 0.
8. 40 + 30 = 70
9. 2'4" is 24 so 24 + 17 = 41
10. 24' + 4' = 28
6' + 3" = 9
28 + 9 = 37
37 + 1.62.5 = 38.62.5

See how smart I am?  I'm living proof that this generation is smart!
lol jk

I don't feel like a lot of you guys are actually reading this all

this is an 8th grade exam- like for graduating into high school. Sure having graduated High school or later in you will know a lot of this, but what kind of 8th grader would know this? If this is real, it's kind of a big deal

most of the questions are just different. we are tested on different things nowadays because technology has grown and needs have changed.
No I think overall people have really become much less intelligent. Back then you actually needed to know a lot to get a job and make money. Now, when you can drop out of school and survive off of welfare on your own, there's a lot of people that just think "why even try to learn anything?"

These are basically all the same things we learn now, it really isn't much different
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 09:29:26 PM by Mysteroo »

Maybe they just taught different specific things back then

I'm only failing one class this year ATM. This is the best I've ever done since middle school. :)

but what kind of 8th grader would know this? If this is real, it's kind of a big deal

An 8th grader from 1912.

Sure it's 8th grade but there were only so many who even went to 8th grade

Some probably were working by this time

this is an 8th grade exam- like for graduating into high school. Sure having graduated High school or later in you will know a lot of this, but what kind of 8th grader would know this? If this is real, it's kind of a big deal

Exactly

It's 2013, who reads?

It's a shame, now exams are worded terribly and you can't even understand a word written. Years ago though, questions were clear and educators weren't trying to fool you to see if you'd still get the answer correct.

It's 2013, who reads?

I do.

is this a joke
most of this is easy
the only "hard" part is history, but that's just because history classes are 100% memorization which is not my forte
I find history very important and often it repeats itself by those who never cared for it.

i think learning is just prioritized differently now. some of this information is pretty useless. a lot of it is also just memorized things (notably grammar, history, physiology)

"Tell what you know of the Gulf Stream"

seems easy enough
gulf's pretty cool, he can be a little high-strung at times but like, he really goes with the flow.

I find history very important and often it repeats itself by those who never cared for it.
well. yeah, in general. and what I learn from it isn't just memorized. but stuff like what day was abraham lincoln officially potty-trained. wtf. who cares

The test wants you to draw sir walter rawleigh and peter stuyvesent.
Holy stuff that's not history that's art.