Author Topic: Two rants in one: ChromeCast and Editing software  (Read 1902 times)

Because I was somehow able to make two persuasive arguments in two months, and I don't want to make two topics in the same day, I decided to post these arguments on the forums in one thread.

ChromeCast is Useless (the shorter argument)
I bought ChromeCast at retail for $35. After using it, I saw that the only things I could really use it with were YouTube and Netflix. Then I realized that any modern day Blu Ray player or video game console (Wii U and PS3 in my case) can be used with both. I know people will argue with me that the ChromeCast is cheaper, but it really isn't because you also need a computer or tablet that supports wireless internet. Besides; a modern day Blu Ray player or video game console supports more than just YouTube or Netflix. My PS3 can support Amazon Instant, Hulu Plus, Crunchyroll, and much more! Therefore, purchasing a ChromeCast is pointless and a waste of money.

Editing software isn't expensive (the longer argument)

Last month on these forums, someone asked about a good editing software. At the time, two editing softwares were suggested, and the person who started the thread said he couldn't afford $600. I pointed out that they weren't actually $600 by default, and he bitched at me that I was wrong. So, I wrote this to vent about why I'm right:

The first software suggested was Sony Vegas. I use Vegas, and so do most people on YouTube. When most people think Vegas, they think Vegas Pro, which is between $150 and $800. But do you know what these people don't notice? The word "pro" in the name. That word suggests that there are multiple versions of Vegas with less features and therefore, cost less. I don't use Vegas Pro. I use Vegas Movie Studio HD 11, which I bought in a retail box at Target for $40. Since then, Vegas 11 was discontinued and changed to Vegas 12. Even then, Vegas Movie Studio is $80. Compared to $800, it's a lot cheaper.

The second software suggested was Adobe Premiere. I understand why people would think this, since Adobe products are overall expensive, but much like Vegas, there are cheaper versions of the software. I own a copy of Adobe Premiere Elements, which was $100 at Micro Center. Sure, that's a high price point, but Premiere Pro can cost up to $800, much like Vegas. Unfortunately, Premiere Elements is terrible, but there's a solution. You don't have to buy Adobe Premiere, or any Adobe software, for a ridiculous price. Adobe Creative Suite and all individual Adobe software can be purchased with a monthly subscription of $20 to $50 a month. It gets even better! If you're a student (mainly college, but there's some exceptions), you can get any Adobe software for a much lower cost, or even for free. I have proof that Adobe does this. I own a retail copy of Adobe CS4 Web Standard, and it didn't cost me a single penny. The best part: Adobe isn't the only company that does this! A senior in my advisory got a copy of Maya for free, when the paid software is around $2000.

Now, good sir, tell me: Why can't you afford a good editing software again?

So that was two different rants that I made about two different things. If you agree, that's fine. If you don't, that's also fine. I'm not trying to force anything. However, if you can contradict me, do so! I like having people prove me wrong.

I agree with you about Sony Vegas. Everyone thinks it's super expensive, but I got Movie Studio HD Platinum 11 for a little less than $100.

I agree with you about Sony Vegas. Everyone thinks it's super expensive, but I got Movie Studio HD Platinum 11 for a little less than $100.
I don't have platinum, unfortunately.

I wasn't aware about Vegas' other prices until it's topic.

Turns out you can get Vegas for a cheap $79.95, nice.

I got Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD 11 Production Suite for $30