Author Topic: Laptop releases alot of heat when playing a game.  (Read 2868 times)

Post something useful.
Though I may get uncomfortable opening my computer. Do you have to open a computer if your going to use a compressed air can?

oh we'd love to! except you're going to have to talk to tech support for that, because we aren't.

wonder if you can replace your GPU with that method, i have a laptop and i would do anything to replace this crappy HD graphics :(

wonder if you can replace your GPU with that method, i have a laptop and i would do anything to replace this crappy HD graphics :(
Sadly, not really.

Though I may get uncomfortable opening my computer. Do you have to open a computer if your going to use a compressed air can?
no, not a laptop.

laptops just need to be blown out from the outside vent. thats basically 99% where any dust will be for a laptop. and the only area you need to worry about.

just angle it differently to get it deep and all around

But that dust just moves into other parts of the case then, because the heatsink traps it in :s

technically it should be possible to replace/upgrade a laptops DEDICATED gpu card. the integrated ones no.
but when i had mine open, and heatsink removed, it still didnt look like my gpu could come out. or at least i wasnt willing to try. its stuck in there like any cpu looks like.

I'm not going to change my GPU...

Most certainly dust. It does this, it amplifies the sound and temperatures. Open your laptop up and take out the dust off the vents which is probably a huge pile of it. It's not GPU or fan or anything else issue.

You can't change your GPU on a laptop unless it's one of those special expensive models (forgot name, MX or something) which allow you to. Also HD Graphics is integrated, it's part of your CPU, it's not a real physical GPU.

My computer does that all the time (not as extreme though).  It's fine when playing online, but playing Blockland and such gets it so hot that it overheats and shuts down.  I keep a cooling pad underneath (not good enough by itself) and a very small Thermaltake fan blowing into the vents on the side.

Also, I'm sure you've considered it already (due to being obvious) but using your laptop on soft surfaces heats it up really fast (furniture, beds, carpet, etc).

don't play with the comp on a bed or on your lap like some do (at least not when gaming). it warms it up a bit more, do it on a table top only.

This is true, but if you still want to use it not on a table, a simple fix is to put a large hardcover book inbetween the laptop and the surface. Of course, this is why cooling trays exist, but honestly I've gone through like 2 or 3 of those and the pop-out book of explosions I had in my room from when I was young does the job better.

My laptop overheats like crazy so I just put a book under it freeing up the fan, works fine.

wasnt that crowns avatar at one point

It's from Hyperbole and a Half.

I would recommend blowing the air out of your computer in an area where you wouldn't mind getting dust. Because it will get EVERYWHERE once it comes out of the fan.

Ok so before you tell me this goes in the computer thread, I'll say that you get almost completely ignored in there. Anyways, so for the past for days my laptop has released alot of heat when playing games. It never did this before and I am worried as well. It also gets hot when I'm browsing the internet, it did not do this before. Help and contributions will be appreciated.

Extra info: I usually play Gmod or Roblox when this happens. I use an Intel Core i3 as well.
well there's your problem

My laptop overheats like crazy so I just put a book under it freeing up the fan, works fine.

I used to use a grated cookie sheet.