Author Topic: Need help with getting new graphics card  (Read 409 times)

I'm soon thinking of upgrading my gaming computer from a 660 to atleast a 670 or 680, because the GTX 660 goes to the bottom of the list.
The thing is, I have no idea on how to install it.
And have a few questions.
1. I currently have the latest nvidia drivers for i believe which is for all cards, will I need to get a different driver?
2. How do I tell how many watts my computer's power supply is holding? and if so how would i install a new one?
3. How do I install the new graphics card?

Also, the current power supply I have runs my 660 fine, this computer is a prebuilt, and im looking forward to getting the new card soon, should I upgrade my power supply? I can't tell how many watts it has.

You would install it from the disk it gives you. If you're getting a new graphics card and that you have a gtx 660, then you'll most likely be fine with wattage.
google how to install it, there will be youtube tutorials
Its not really worth upgrading a 660 to a 670, just letting you know.
and computer megathread

You would install it from the disk it gives you. If you're getting a new graphics card and that you have a gtx 660, then you'll most likely be fine with wattage.
google how to install it, there will be youtube tutorials
Its not really worth upgrading a 660 to a 670, just letting you know.
and computer megathread
i get ignored in the computer megathread
i decided to get a 760 instead

I'm soon thinking of upgrading my gaming computer from a 660 to atleast a 670 or 680, because the GTX 660 goes to the bottom of the list.
The thing is, I have no idea on how to install it.
And have a few questions.
1. I currently have the latest nvidia drivers for i believe which is for all cards, will I need to get a different driver?
2. How do I tell how many watts my computer's power supply is holding? and if so how would i install a new one?
3. How do I install the new graphics card?

Also, the current power supply I have runs my 660 fine, this computer is a prebuilt, and im looking forward to getting the new card soon, should I upgrade my power supply? I can't tell how many watts it has.

Usually the only way to tell wattage for a PSU is by opening the computer up, to install a different card...you would replace the other card, pretty self explainatory since one's already in there. If you needed/need a different driver, the GPUs come with a drivers CD. If you need to get a new PSU (You wont really know until you find the wattage and check the minimum wattage required to power whatever card you choose) then you'd need to simply look up a youtube tutorial beforehand as it's too much to really explain and is different with each computer (the connectors, not installing the thing itself, that's also pretty simple).

Edit: When you open your computer the wattage can be found on a sticker that looks like this.

The total power would be the wattage.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 10:32:14 PM by naturemon »

Usually the only way to tell wattage for a PSU is by opening the computer up, to install a different card...you would replace the other card, pretty self explainatory since one's already in there. If you needed/need a different driver, the GPUs come with a drivers CD. If you need to get a new PSU (You wont really know until you find the wattage and check the minimum wattage required to power whatever card you choose) then you'd need to simply look up a youtube tutorial beforehand as it's too much to really explain and is different with each computer (the connectors, not installing the thing itself, that's also pretty simple).

Edit: When you open your computer the wattage can be found on a sticker that looks like this.

The total power would be the wattage.
hm
but anyway, is it possible to be able to modify ibuypower computers? because the one i got was a prebuilt and i picked the parts
and im p sure its openable because i was able to open the top part

hm
but anyway, is it possible to be able to modify ibuypower computers? because the one i got was a prebuilt and i picked the parts
and im p sure its openable because i was able to open the top part

Any computer can be opened. Whether you should or not is the question. If it's a tower (like a desktop computer) you can open it. There will be two screws on the back of the case, you unscrew it and remove the side.

I hope these pictures are of some assistance.

Any computer can be opened. Whether you should or not is the question. If it's a tower (like a desktop computer) you can open it. There will be two screws on the back of the case, you unscrew it and remove the side.

I hope these pictures are of some assistance.
but it seems there are screws on both sides?
does it matter?

but it seems there are screws on both sides?
does it matter?

One side is typically used for cable management, essentially if you don't see what's in the picture, put that side on and go to the other side. The picture is correct in position. (By that I mean if you were to face your computer the way it shows in the picture, that will be the correct side)