Blender Help, Polycount.

Author Topic: Blender Help, Polycount.  (Read 1347 times)

How do I lower the polycount to make it more blockland-like?

Well, if you have a ton of faces, you could use the decimate modifier to slightly reduce your number. Other than that, though, the only way I know of doing it is remaking the model.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 01:07:35 PM by BluetoothBoy »

I personally just prefer redoing the whole model from scratch using the higher poly 3D model as reference. This is only good for Blockland models due to the art style which is something you need to keep in mind right from the start. For other things: retopology.

Well, if you have a ton of faces, you could use the decimate modifier to slightly reduce your number. Other than that, though, the only way I know of doing it is remaking the model.
I tried that with a cylinder mesh and it just made it all weird.

I tried that with a cylinder mesh and it just made it all weird.
Decimate is only good for organic meshes. Un-Subdivide mode might work for some hard-surface cases. For round things: remodel them. You could also try Remesh.

Decimate is only good for organic meshes. Un-Subdivide mode might work for some hard-surface cases. For round things: remodel them. You could also try Remesh.
By the way, what is Remesh?

Try not to use cylinders, use octagonal prisms. Create, then subdivide a plane and use the push/pull tool until you get a regular octagon. Afterwards, extrude it.

I'm not sure how to make a prism with an edge count that isn't a power of 2 (8, 16, 32), though.

Do what Demian said below.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 12:21:33 AM by Axo-Tak »

Ignore Axo-Tak, he's talking about MilkShape.

Make cylinders and press F6 to open a dialog to change the amount of vertices. 6 and 8 are most commonly used in models for Blockland.

Make cylinders and press F6 to open a dialog to change the amount of vertices. 6 and 8 are most commonly used in models for Blockland.
I didn't even know you could do that in Blender, thank you for telling us that.

16 is pretty common as well.

Yeah, if you are doing that ugly super detailed attempt

I personally never go higher than 12.

Yeah, if you are doing that ugly super detailed attempt
Wheels...?