I showed the Oculus to employee's at my mom's office.

Author Topic: I showed the Oculus to employee's at my mom's office.  (Read 7664 times)

eeeeeee I'm so excited. I don't have to go to school since we are snowed in and it's about -4 degrees.

I think it looks great. It might not be practical for shooters and things but with all the neat demos and things I think it'll be awesome.
I'll update this topic when I get it.

UPDATE: IT ARRIVED

UPDATE: SETTING UP
The first thing I noticed was that the box was massive. Much bigger than I expected. Think briefcase size. I'm adjusting it right now, and it's really light. Maybe 2/3 of a pound.
This is annoying. The gears to adjust lens location go inwards, and require a screwdriver to use.
It's not terrible, just annoying. You need to get the lenses in the proper position for it to look nice, and you can't adjust them via screwdriver while looking through them. You have to take it off, adjust, put it on, adjust, take it off, adjust, put in on, until it finally looks perfect.
lol. I just had a ton of trouble getting it working. I followed all the instructions and troubleshooted for 20 minutes to see why the Rift wasn't displaying the game. I just found out that it's because I never pressed the power button.

Brilliant.

UPDATE: JUST WENT ON A ROLLERCOASTER OH MY GOD
Oh my god. I got the rollercoaster working with it and that was incredible. Leaning over the edge of the coaster and looking down was terrifying. It was also really bad when it plummeted straight down. Some bits made me jump, but nothing made me want to scream or anything like you see in the videos.

Also, about the pixels, I saw none at all during my time using it unintentionally. If you come out of focus and look for them they are very clearly visible, but if you just relax your eyes they can't be seen.

I did get a headache after that, and I'm gonna go rest now. Everything I read said that if you tried to push through it you'd be sick for hours, and you just had to take a break once it started.

OPINIONS AFTER A FEW HOURS OF PLAY:
Tried the Heli Hell Demo.
http://www.riftenabled.com/admin/app/13

This was the coolest demo I've tried so far. It's not the prettiest game but it gives you a really neat feeling of flying through the air, and I actually jumped backwards when I crashed into a tree. When you do a downwards barrel roll or anything like that it really gets you motion sick instantly. I had to take a break after crashing. Suggest things for me to play!

--

My thoughts on it so far,

If anyone is concerned that it won't work with their glasses, the lenses are at an adjustable distance from your eyes. You can just press them back so that you and your glasses fit in fine. The pixels are not a problem at all for me. A higher resolution would be nice, because everything is a little bit blurry (especially off to the side of the screen) but it's amazing and it's really pretty impossible to describe without playing it.

It's a lot of fun, although it will get you sick the first few times you do it. I'll post some more about it once the novelty effect wears off.

EDIT: SHOWING IT OFF TO LAWYERS
So, my mom wanted me to do some tech support for some people at her office, since they are all 40-55 year old lawyers they aren't really that tech savvy.

Anyway, she called the school and told them I was sick so that I could come down to the office, where I helped them with some router trouble and fixed some people's computers. I brought the Oculus Rift with me, and showed it to some of her friends. The younger people I've shown it to (like my sister and myself and a young intern) didn't really freak out, but they did find it really cool. The older people like my mom and her friends screamed and freaked out, and had to take it off a few times mid demo.

It's been really fun sharing it with people.
(also, yaknow, no school.)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 03:13:36 PM by Zealott »

I dont think a Rift would work on me, which is a real shame

You should try to make it support Blockland.
Blockland + Oculus Rift = loving amazing.

I dont think a Rift would work on me, which is a real shame
why

You should try to make it support Blockland.
Blockland + Oculus Rift = loving amazing.
I really doubt that'd work well. Blockland isn't super immersive or anything and I can't imagine anyone would spend enough time to get it working.

edit: 500th post!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 08:58:20 AM by Zealott »

I can't imagine anyone would spend enough time to get it working.

this is blockland forums.

this is blockland forums.

Exactly why
I can't imagine anyone would spend enough time to get it working.

Blockland isn't super immersive or anything a
It doesn't need the Oopler Doopler 3d torchligt 2 graphics to look good, and I don't think the game needs to be immersive to display on your eyes.

If you're snowed in, doesn't that make it unlikely it'll be delivered.

Ordering a dev kit is kinda pointless.

Snow day and Oculus Rift?

Lucky. :(
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 11:31:58 AM by Lurker »

If you're snowed in, doesn't that make it unlikely it'll be delivered.
It's not extreme weather or anything. You can drive in it. UPS delivers in much worse conditons than this. It could only not be delivered if a flight is delayed or something.

I was thinking about ordering one a couple months back but i decided not to.
I'm jelly. :c