Is this the future of TVs?

Author Topic: Is this the future of TVs?  (Read 1085 times)

Okay guys CES 2014 is practically here and there is this one technology that really caught my eye. First read the article: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2014/01/dolby-display-4k/

Ok I'm assuming you read the entire article now, if you don't you won't fully understand what I am saying. With that much brightness and colors at your fingertips, could this be as good as the leap from SD to HD was? I mean, energy problems and "it would blind my eyes" aside, it sounds incredible. A bigger contrast ratio would mean a WAY better picture. What do you guys think about what Dolby is trying to do? Would you buy a TV with Dolby Vision?

Depends if they have floating tv
I really think it is

4k tv seems kinda useless right now.
maybe ps5 and xbox4 will use it.

channels barely all broadcast in 1080 now. almost all of em.
it was a recent switch actually.

they arent prepared to now send out 4k- its not going to happen.
bluray is 1080, it could support files that large on the disks, but once again all those movies you already own will not play 4k.

the only way you can make use out of a 4k tv is if you recorded video yourself in 4k and played it on the screen.

4k tv seems kinda useless right now.
maybe ps5 and xbox4 will use it.

channels barely all broadcast in 1080 now. almost all of em.
it was a recent switch actually.

they arent prepared to now send out 4k- its not going to happen.
bluray is 1080, it could support files that large on the disks, but once again all those movies you already own will not play 4k.

the only way you can make use out of a 4k tv is if you recorded video yourself in 4k and played it on the screen.
what about local signals from an antenna?

According to the article you would need a tv 80 inches or larger to notice the differences between HD and 4k. Plus that's way too big to fit in any of my walls. Sounds exciting but I don't think i'd get one.

I haven't used an actual TV for TV purposes for a very long time now.

huh?
believe it or not abc, nbc, etc broadcast OTA for antennas to use, supposedly the picture is better because they dont "compress" it unlike cable

believe it or not abc, nbc, etc broadcast OTA for antennas to use, supposedly the picture is better because they dont "compress" it unlike cable

it dosnt matter HOW they broadcast, because of course its possible to broadcast 500,000k.
they dont broadcast shows in 4k because it was an extreme effort to move into this current gen of 1080 that all networks finally pulled off. 4k shows dont even exist. and they wont be upping it any time soon. at least another 6 years.

so everyone from now until.... whenever that next gen date is, people with 4k tvs are watching in 1080 quality. because nothing exists in 4k to watch lol

According to the article you would need a tv 80 inches or larger to notice the differences between HD and 4k. Plus that's way too big to fit in any of my walls. Sounds exciting but I don't think i'd get one.
Meanwhile our computer monitors...

-snip-
Okay first, you didn't get what the article is talking about. This is about making 4K TVs marketable by offering what most people want, a better picture. Dolby Vision based TVs promise to deliver on that by increasing the brightness range, thus you have a bigger contrast ratio. The Xbox One and PS4 do support 4K to an extent but that's not the true place where 4K content is going to be delivered. If you have read through the entire article, you would've noticed that Amazon, Netflix, and other similar online streaming services are going to have 4K content in the future. But even Dolby Vision on a 1080P TV would be worth a buy if any company made one.

what about computer games