Author Topic: Would it be possible to port Blockland to Unity?  (Read 3929 times)

hes kinda right about unity though. its not for BL.
how is it

Are you loving stupid?
1) unity is loving stupid.
2) what we have is fine now, why change?
it isn't a "hey i'm going to spend 2 years to do this"
it's a "hey what IF someone were to do this how long would it take?"
rough!

brian smith being brian smith is all

I wouldn't use Unity as a main platform for development, but it's not the worst engine in the world. In fact, a lot of good games were built for it and it does its job well, from what I've seen.

brian smith being brian smith is all
In BS's eyes, everything that isn't python sucks ass.

I wouldn't use Unity as a main platform for development, but it's not the worst engine in the world. In fact, a lot of good games were built for it and it does its job well, from what I've seen.
In BS's eyes, everything that isn't python sucks ass.

What platform would you use?

why does everyone want an engine change

seriously other than vehicle physics torquescript seems perfect for the game

why does everyone want an engine change

seriously other than vehicle physics torquescript seems perfect for the game
There's a lot of stuff that people have requested that require either an engine change or an unnecessary amount of work to do (from the community or Badspot)

Some of the ideas were good, others, not so much, but are still relevant

I have worked with Unity.
It is okay to use, but it certainly isn't my favorite. :/

Two things:

* Why the hell are people saying it would be hard?
 * Why the hell would you want to use Unity?

Why don't we use the engine they used for Sonic 06?
Then instead of just vehicle physics being broken, ALL physics are broken!

Two things:

* Why the hell are people saying it would be hard?
 * Why the hell would you want to use Unity?

Perhaps because Unity games can also be played in browser.
Though don't ask me why would anyone want to do that.

Heck, why don't we use Havok Engine or CryEngine 3?

loving unity fanboys

Blockland works fine with the heavily modified Torque engine it has now. Just like shaders were implamented, better vehicle physics can be added. Just because you're moving the game over to unity doesn't mean the engine will be any more capable. Add-Ons will probably be harder to make, even.

What you have to remember is that Badspot chose the Torque engine for Blockland because it already had things that he needed but probably didn't want to have to do himself - like networking, maps, player objects, client prediction, and half decent vehicle physics (this WAS 2005). All he added to the basic engine at first were bricks and tools - and with bricks as they were at first, more than 10000 would easily crash the game. We've come far.

What you're suggesting that he do (not to sound arrogant, but you obviously put no thought into this) is grab some professional hipster stuff computar gaem 4.0 package off the internet for the cool price of $1,500 and, after learning how to use it thoroughly and correctly, completely remake all of those things he originally bought the Torque engine package to avoid. Before he could do anything else, in fact.

Want a list? Here:
  • Vehicles
  • Player/Server networking (Unity comes with stuff for this, but it assumes nothing so you still have to do a lot of the work)
  • Modding System
  • Vehicle Physics (Yeah, cause guess what! Unity doesn't just come with a better vehicle collision solver! Were you expecting it to generate damage models?)
  • Inventory System
  • Brick Oct-Tree
  • Entire brick system
  • Entire GUI system. (I can't say a lot for Unity's built in one except that it's stuff)
  • Shaders (Will require a rewrite, the Blockland engine has different outputs to the Unity engine for these)
  • Other stuff I can't think of right now.

He would then, after spending at least a year doing this, have to completely restart the beta testing phrase.

All in all, if Badspot was to put out that he was porting blockland over to Unity right now you could expect a fully featured release (minus all add-ons we ever made because it's unity so forget torquescript) sometime in 2017. Yeah, it's a good idea to start porting it over to Unity. And maybe while we're at it we can genetically engineer some pigs to loving fly.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 08:45:49 AM by chrisbot6 »

And maybe while we're at it we can genetically engineer some pigs to loving fly.

I'm stealing this and there's nothing you can loving do about it.

What platform would you use?
I use LOVE, a 2D framework, but for obvious reasons you can't really port BL to that, lol. (technically you could but it would be slow as stuff)

These threads always make me laugh heartily.