Author Topic: Would it be possible to port Blockland to Unity?  (Read 3884 times)

If we port Blockland to unity, wouldn't it be easily modifiable to work with the Rift?

If we port Blockland to unity, wouldn't it be easily modifiable to work with the Rift?
...no.

>we

Why do people even consider things like this? It's like Badspot built a house out of wood and you reply with, "nice house, but could you make it out of SANDSTONE?!" Just appreciate the loving log cabin, sandstone is overrated anyway.

2 years to port something?
it would be quicker to make blockland2 at that point.

plus you need to consider if the time and labor spent over 2 years can be paid off.
would a port that requires that much effort even be worth it

Absolutely not. Apart from Unity being extremely overrated for what it is, everything will need to be done from scratch. Especially the network framework for Blockland. There's no simple 'porting'. It's a gigantic waste of time for nothing of gain. Besides Torque can be heavily modded compared to Unity, something Badspot can take advantage of and expand on the current Engine.

Badspot will never port this game as said in "The Plan for V20"

EDIT: And if he did, the game will have some very striped down features.
DOUBLE EDIT: Or even removed ones

Is v0002 free the same thing like Minecraft Version 0.30?

Just like shaders were implamented, better vehicle physics can be added.
Except the shadows are horribly pixelated, even on higher rendering qualities and are extremely difficult to run on the max setting, the only good thing about the shaders is vignette which can also act as fake HDR with proper settings

Is v0002 free the same thing like Minecraft Version 0.30?
What does this even have to do with porting Blockland to Unity? You're in the wrong topic.

OT: I could see it happening, but many of the current features would be slimmed down or removed if on unity. However, I imagine there would be many other good features. For one, the shaders wouldn't be stuff like they are now. Also, as others have stated, the Oculus Rift would be easily usable inside of Blockland, which is actually a big turn on for me. I just don't see it being very moddable. I mean, there are some Unity games that can be modded, (like Kerbal Space Program, which is run on Unity, as far as I'm aware) but the only question is how easy that would be to implement.

Even if he could work out a system to port all of the current  features over, and still have room for more features, I couldn't ever see it happening quick enough to be of any benefit. His lack of work on the current versions would make people leave, and eventually people would see it as a dead project and quit. Blockland would end up dying before he could ever finish a stable release on the Unity engine.

Whether Blockland would die or not, it would still probably end up taking as little as two or three years to do, and even then it would only be as good as, for example, v8.

Except the shadows are horribly pixelated, even on higher rendering qualities and are extremely difficult to run on the max setting

That isn't a problem with the engine.

I didn't realize that everything would have to be remade including add-on's. What if there was a separate version of Blockland and it had a different name which ran Unity? And what if this version of Blockland became free and no longer worked on? I think people would be a lot more satisfied.

I for one think this is a fantastic idea. I fully support Badspot spending a few years making a new free Blockland on Unity - maybe he can even make the old version of Blockland free too, he's probably rich now. Lets start a change.org petition guys - let's MAKE this happen.

That isn't a problem with the engine.
I thought it was? Otherwise we'd have shadows that older computers could run and not have them looking really blocky and not like the objects casting them

What about the original pictures of the shadows and shaders? I forget why it was that we didn't get those instead

I for one think this is a fantastic idea. I fully support Badspot spending a few years making a new free Blockland on Unity - maybe he can even make the old version of Blockland free too, he's probably rich now. Lets start a change.org petition guys - let's MAKE this happen.

I mean the Unity version wouldn't be free. Also thanks, Ephiatles! Let's make this happen! Hip hip, hooray!

I didn't realize he was being sarcastic.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 05:28:55 AM by Caribou »