Author Topic: Katamari Damacy for the PS2 keeps freezing :(  (Read 720 times)

Okay, so I'm not part of any other games forum where I can ask for help or anything so maybe one of you guys own this game and know what's going on.

I just got Katamari Damacy for the PS2 and it has zero scratches or anything on the disk, but it keeps freezing on level 2 when my katamari reaches 10cm. It also freezes when I try to go to the constellations area on the main menu.
I have a PS2 slim and it runs every other game flawlessly, but even after cleaning the lens and restarting the ps2 multiple times it still freezes in those parts of the game.

Perhaps it freezes on certain models of the PS2? The closest case I've found about this was this old thread on IGN http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/katamari-damacy.84994492/ , but in their case both machines were fat PS2s and the thread doesn't seem to have come to a conclusion.

Anyways, any help is welcome.

This can be hard, to do but I've got a trick where I copy the PS2 game on to a DVD-R and play it from that.

If your PS2 Slim can't be softmodded like mine, you can look up online how to unblock all the things that stop the disc from spinning, then back up your game, then put it on a DVD-R.

Once this is done, grab the original, start it up, find a good spot where nothing is happening (Such as in a movie, or a menu screen), then swap the discs.
Be careful because you can mess up the disc.
Also this can't be used on games with internet access (Such as Football), because sometimes it goes to a special file type the triggers the PS2 to check if its an official disc (unless you have an old model).

(If this is bannable please tell me, because I will gladly clear this post)

piracy is against the rules, but copying your own copy of the game isn't. I'm pretty sure it's not even illegal. it certainly breaches the license agreement, though
and modding your console would break the warranty, but I doubt any ps2 warranties are still valid anyway

This can be hard, to do but I've got a trick where I copy the PS2 game on to a DVD-R and play it from that.

If your PS2 Slim can't be softmodded like mine, you can look up online how to unblock all the things that stop the disc from spinning, then back up your game, then put it on a DVD-R.

Once this is done, grab the original, start it up, find a good spot where nothing is happening (Such as in a movie, or a menu screen), then swap the discs.
Be careful because you can mess up the disc.
Also this can't be used on games with internet access (Such as Football), because sometimes it goes to a special file type the triggers the PS2 to check if its an official disc (unless you have an old model).

Thanks for the help. It turns out there was a minuscule scratch on the disc that I missed before (It didn't even seem big enough where it would cause any problems), so after a few more tries the game eventually started working properly. I'm glad it wasn't a bigger problem than what it turned out to be.