Request For Add-on Changer Look At The Picture!

Author Topic: Request For Add-on Changer Look At The Picture!  (Read 1049 times)

I am not sure if there is all ready one but i bet everyone would like a Add-on Changer!

I copied and pasted these together...
(you will need to click on the picture)

Not possible, because if the person did not have the add-on they could not see add-on thus crashing them and there is not a script that is like the prefs.cs.
Do Not Title You Title Like This It Makes You Look Like A Noob

Changing add-ons would have to result in restarting the server.  Though I would like something for handling server restarting.  Possibly fill out what the new servers options are, then have the server close, restart, and have the clients join again.

Not possible, because if the person did not have the add-on they could not see add-on thus crashing them and there is not a script that is like the prefs.cs.
Do Not Title You Title Like This It Makes You Look Like A Noob

Yea...you know nothing, please don't say what is possible or not without actual scripting knowledge.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 06:41:01 PM by laremere »

Changing add-ons would have to result in restarting the server.  Though I would like something for handling server restarting.  Possibly fill out what the new servers options are, then have the server close, restart, and have the clients join again.
Yea...you know nothing, please don't say what is possible or not without actual scripting knowledge.
Pretty sure it's possible, with a fair bit of lag.

The problem, if the client does not have add-on they must have to do something.

Acutally, if this restarted the server and then had everyone auto-reconnect, it would be a great way to update scripts for weapons or such things with relativley low hassle. (When involving a new shape is... involved.. otherwise you could very well just exec the script)

It depends on the script, but if it included new datablocks the clients would most likely get disconnected.

Pretty sure it's possible, with a fair bit of lag.
Actually, I know what I'm talking about here.

It would take quite a bit of scripting to make it so that add-ons that are turned off are disabled. The worse part is that clients would have to download the new datablocks, and then they would have to download any files that they don't have.  There is a reason why there is a loading screen.  At the very least, people would be bumped to a loading screen.

People would have to make 'load' and 'unload' scripts for all of their Add-Ons - things like Team Deathmatch cannot be deactivated easily during the game as they overwrite many game functions.

You'd end up with lots of problems for advanced mods that actually change gameplay being activated and deactivated. Packaged functions (That overwrite parts of other functions but keeping the 'original' code for it) are very unpredictable in Torque and will not work right when activating and deactivating lots of things at once: (Put each of these lines into the console, in order)
Code: [Select]
function showMsg(){echo("Hi.");}
package one{function showMsg(){echo("ONE");Parent::showMsg();}};
package two{function showMsg(){echo("TWO");Parent::showMsg();}};
activatePackage(one);showMsg();
It should say 'ONE' and then 'Hi.' on the next line.
activatePackage(two);showMsg();It should say 'TWO', 'ONE' and then 'Hi.'.
deactivatePackage(one);showMsg();It only says 'Hi.'. Even though you haven't deactivated two, deactivating packages 'before' others will stop the ones activated after it from working.

This could cause a problem: If a minigame 'Hide Names' script overwrites the player spawn functions and then Team Deathmatch overwrites the same ones (for uniforms, say), deactivating Hide Names will stop Team Deathmatch from working even though you haven't disabled that.